• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: [HOW TO] Perform A Factory Reset

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by aaaaarcn View Post
    Hi.

I have an Acer Iconia A100.

When the tables power on doesnīt pass the logo ACER. (but the botom Power is blue)

I did reset with a clip paper. The problem is the same.

It is not rooting or other "similar things" (i donīt know so much about this)

I donīt want to perform a Factory Reset because i donīt want to loose the photos and e-books that are inside.

Iīve read that a Factory Reset erase all. I havenīt read the 59 post (so many). Sorry...

My question is about if exist any way to try to save my files before perform a Factory Reset or if exist any possibilty of recover something after the Factory Reset

Thank you
    Try a factory reset, if that doesn't work, contact Acer for repair. Your tablet probably needs a new motherboard. Unfortunately unless you backed up your photos they are gone. Log in to your Google account from a computer and view your Picasa web albums or Google+ albums, your photos may be there in a private album.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk 2

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you, Missus.

I think the photos are gone

I ve tryed to do a Factory Reset as Bilderberg shows:

[HOW TO] Perform A Factory Reset

but:

restarted a billion times, would just give me the acer logo.
    pressed the reset button, it restarted and gave me the acer logo.
    did the steps of Bildelberger, but after the message of erasing user data and cache, restarts and gives me the acer logo
    did something that found in youtube to get the restoration bootloader thingy - gives me the android with the tesseract in his chest, then the dead android with the red exclamation mark. Pressing the home button gives me the bootloader menu, but there is no way to select an item on it. Restarting gives me the acer logo

Something else?

Thank you
    Last edited by aaaaarcn; 08-07-2013 at 11:20 AM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    My a200 tablet is frozen on the iconia tab screen. I have tried resetting the tablet by using the hold volume up and power key method. The erasing user data prompt comes on, but then a red message says unrecoverable bootloader error. I can't seem to do anything to get past this message, and when trying to boot up tablet now it freezes on iconia tab screen?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Acer offers an Iconia Tab for both the Android and Windows 8 system, so the factory reset procedure vastly differs between the two devices. The Iconia Tab A series describes the Android system and relies on a hardware reset by pressing a series of buttons. The Iconia Tab W series describes the Windows 8 version of the Tab. This version uses Acer's Recovery Management utility to reset the device. On either system, all of your personal data will be deleted during the reset.
    If you are also interested in data recovery, just go to http://android-recovery.net/.
    Last edited by EveAaron; 10-21-2013 at 02:28 AM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have been asked to repair an A200. The person that gave it to me does have the swipe pattern or the email account. Not sure how he got a hold of the tablet(not for me to question). I tried the "Hold the + Volume key and Power,wait for vibrate to occur, release Power button. I even did the toggling of the screen lock switch that I saw from another forum posting, but still nothing. I was able to load the update.zip file from the SD card, however, I still get prompted for the email to verify. I know that running the series of keys should get me into recovery, however what is kind of odd is that while plugged in, my PC clearly sees it. downloaded the drivers. However, I just cant boot into recovery in order to clear the user cache. Also, I ran a Command Line tool that I found that does a bunch of cool tricks like query the model, reboot in recovery, reinstall the recovery. When I run those commands, they dont see the device. Any ideas?

Thanks so much in advance.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Help!!!!!

I have tried everything posted to get my brand new tablet to reset.
    The tablet was performing windows updates....message was that it failed and changes were being reverted - do not turn off
    It has been "reverting" for over 24 hours now. I can not get the tablet to revert back to factory settings....I just keep going through the same frustrating circle of screens!
    I have tried the power button, volume button and windows button
    I have tried locking the rotation and holding bot up and down volume with power - but the tablet never vibrates....

Nothing is working.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Also getting a blue screen that says
    RECOVERY
    It looks like Windows didn't load correctly......
    with 2 options
    See advanced repair options and Restart my PC

I can NOT tap or choose either option to go forward!!!!
    Last edited by mouse; 06-12-2014 at 10:32 AM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Prayers answered (almost)

Quote Originally Posted by bilderberg View Post

BEST PRACTICE: FACTORY DATA RESET FOR ACER ICONIA SERIES DEVICES

DO NOT perform this factory reset procedure if you have an unlocked tablet and/or a custom recovery!!!!

The Factory data reset is a standard feature in Android devices. It is used to clear all user data from the device, and restore it to a clean factory state, as if you had never used the device. This can occasionally be necessary to clear system problems having any number of causes, including problems caused by misbehaving applications.

If you have not yet tried a hardware reset in an attempt to resolve the problem you are working on, you should try that first, because that does not affect any of your data. The hardware reset is done by simply using a pin or paper clip to press the button located inside of the pinhole near the lower right hand corner of the tablet. If that does not resolve the issue, then move onto the Factory data reset.

On the tablet, there are two methods to perform the Factory data reset:
    • The first, easiest, and most commonly used method is to use the Settings control app. This is defined as Method 1 below.
    • The second and more cumbersome method is performed by operating the device buttons in a particular sequence, and is intended for use only when the touch screen and/or the Settings control cannot be used for any reason. This is defined as Method 2 below.

Before proceeding with any factory data reset, it is important that you save/backup any files you have stored in the internal memory that you wish to keep -- e.g., documents, photos, movies, music, apps/data, etc. You need to manually save such files to external storage, because all internal user storage on the tablet will be wiped clean. The factory data reset will wipe the tablet completely clean of user data, as if you had never used it.

Note that the reset does not change the current operating system that has been flashed onto your ROM. For example, if you are running ICS (4.0.3), the tablet will stay on ICS, regardless of whether or not an earlier version of Android came pre-installed on the device. The OS software itself is not removed or changed by the procedure, but only temporary OS data, cache and user data are cleared. This causes the tablet to boot up to the initial setup screen, where you will have to again set up your wifi, log into google, etc.

NOTE: Use only Method 1 or Method 2. There is no need to use the more cumbersome Method 2 if Method 1 can be performed. Both methods accomplish the exact same task.

METHOD 1 - FACTORY DATA RESET METHOD FROM THE SETTINGS CONTROL APP

1.) Ensure that you have backed up any files you wish to preserve as noted above.

2.) Perform a hardware reset by using a pin or paper clip to press the button inside of the pinhole at the lower right corner of the tablet. You should feel a slight click when pressing and releasing the button. Make sure your pin actually contacts the button and is not too tight in the pinhole. The tablet will boot up from the reset.

3.) From the Apps menu, locate the Settings app.

4.) If your system is running ICS (Android 4- SHOWN), then open Settings - Backup & reset. If your system is running HC (Android 3), then open Settings - Privacy.

5.) Scroll down to the bottom of the window, and select Factory data reset.

6.) Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the reset.

Upon successful completion, the tablet will boot up into the initial setup screen.
    (At this point, see the note below on USING FACTORY DATA RESET TO ELIMINATE PROBLEM APPS for special instructions regarding that practice.)

END OF METHOD 1 - SETTINGS-BASED FACTORY DATA RESET PROCEDURE

METHOD 2 - FACTORY DATA RESET METHOD IF YOU CANNOT ACCESS THE SETTINGS CONTROL APP

Before proceeding, I suggest that you watch this video:

Also, read this article provided by Acer which describes the same procedure in slightly less detail:

If you make a mistake at any point, restart the procedure again from step 1. You need to do precisely what the procedure says, in the precise order, and time each action exactly as specified.
    • For step 4 You have to release the power switch in 3 seconds (no more, no less).
    • You have to continue to hold the volume up button after releasing the power button.
    • You have to quickly work the screen lock switch as soon as the tablet vibrates as directed in step 5 (still holding the volume button, but not the power button).
    • At step 6, when you see the following two messages briefly in the upper left corner of the screen, you have been successful:

Erasing user data...
      Erasing cache...

If the tablet shows a recovery error or any other unexpected condition, you may have made some mistake in the procedure. For example, if you hold the power button too long this can cause the device to go into a recovery mode. If you encounter this, don't worry. This is a common and correctable mistake. In such a case, just restart the procedure at Step 1. The procedure can take several practice runs to complete successfully. What follows is the step by step procedure.

*** The screen lock placement on the Iconia A100/101 is different. The button sequence is still the same as in the video.

THE STEP BY STEP PROCEDURE USING TABLET BUTTONS

1.) Perform a hardware reset by using a pin or paper clip to press the button inside of the pinhole at the lower right corner of the tablet. You should feel a slight click when pressing and releasing the button. Make sure your pin actually contacts the button and is not too tight in the pinhole. The tablet will attempt to boot. Wait 15 seconds for it to settle.

2.) Power off the tablet. To force a power down, press the power button continuously for at least 5 seconds. Do not touch or let anything press the volume button at this time. (You should feel no vibration when using this method to power down. If you feel a vibration during this power off attempt, the tablet was apparently already off. In this case, wait about 20 seconds and restart this step from the beginning.)

3.) Press and hold the Volume up rocker. It is the volume rocker that is located farthest from the corner of the tablet. (Do not release the volume button until instructed to in step 6 below.)

4.) While still holding the Volume up button, press and hold the Power button for 3 seconds and then immediately release it. Continue holding the Volume up button.

5.) The tablet will vibrate in approximately 1-2 seconds after you release the power button, once you feel or hear this vibration, slide the screen lock switch on and off repeatedly while continuing to hold the Volume up button.

6.) As soon as the Erasing Userdata... message appears in the upper left corner of the screen, release the Volume up button and stop sliding the screen lock switch. You should then also see the Erasing Cache... message below that as proof that your device is being wiped.

I've heard of people taking a half dozen or so tries to get it to work, so be patient until you get it right.

Upon successful completion, the tablet will boot up into the initial setup screen.
    (At this point, see the note below on USING FACTORY DATA RESET TO ELIMINATE PROBLEM APPS for special instructions regarding that practice.)

END OF METHOD 2 - BUTTON - BASED FACTORY DATA RESET PROCEDURE

USING FACTORY DATA RESET TO ELIMINATE PROBLEM APPS

What follows is a method that can be used to isolate problems with apps.

• Start with a factory data reset as described above.
    • When you set up your wifi at the initial setup screen, do not login to google and do not install any apps from any source.
    • Do not plug in any external storage -- i.e., no SD cards, no USB storage.
    • Do not restore any data from any cloud service -- Be sure to untick the box that automatically restores app from your Google backup.
    • Do not copy in any media or other files -- i.e., don't download a bunch of images, video, or other forms of data yet.
    • Leave the email clients unconfigured for now.
    • Don't change any default options.
    • Test the tablet for a while like this, and become familiar with the behavior. This will be the baseline assessment that you will use to compare with future test results.
    • Then proceed slowly to whatever you think is more likely to be a trigger of the problem you have been seeing, such as setting up email or plugging in a favorite SD card. Test again.
    • If that's OK, move on to changing default options per your preferences, all methodically and slowly, testing until you see the symptoms return.
    • If you still see no problems, move on to Market/Google Play apps, again, methodically and slowly, testing until you see the symptoms return.

Copyright Đ www.AcerTabletForum.com
    Fantastic advice, thank you very much.

Now for the hard question - how to upgrade to a later version than ICS ?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    My Acer a200 doesn't vibrate or show anything on the screen. All it does is turns on the power LED.

I have tried:
    1. Hard reset method
    2. Little reset button
    3. Unplugging the battery
    4. Connecting to PC with USB (doesn't find any device)
    5. Even tried the Flash reset

I have not dropped it or damaged it in any way. It just did not start up one beautiful morning
    Any ideas?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links