• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question hi i am a totally new user of my tablet and a totally new user on this board

So...
    hi i am a totally new user of my tablet and a totally new user on this board
    I found out about this place on the subreddit for it, by another user over there.

Here was my subreddit post about this topic:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/androidtabl...iconia_tablet/

I was sent to this board by a user over there named u/thefanum

I bought a used, cheap ($50) Acer A200 Iconia Tablet. I want to know what my other OS options for it, are? The factory defaults are ... so unbearably slow

What are my options as far as how i can either upgrade this to the latest Android software (not really what i want) or better, to maybe if i have to) root it, and install a better form of some kind of distro of Linux into it? I don't even know what distro is best for it, but i am sure that might depend most on how much memory i have on board the tablet, correct?

I think, internally, the tablet has 13 GB of storage... of some kind of nonvolatile RAM?
    I also have a 32GB SD card inserted into it for a total of 32 GB (of which i have 29 available)

The only thing i do not know is how much volatile RAM it has for running apps. I guess it runs on an nVidia Tegra CPU so i do not know what support there is out there, in Linux, for that kind of hardware?

I am considering all of this because ALMOST NONE of the apps on Google Play will run on my OLD (from 2012) tablet any more. And I'd rather keep up with a more or fuller app base like say, in Debian or Ubuntu repos, if i ever could?

I do not think it is possible for me to upgrade my device any further with Android "ice cream" etc etc... ? I am not really sure there though. Right now i feel or seem stuck at Android version 4.0.3, using Kernel 2.6.39.4+

What distros of Linux or other OSes can i possibly put on this tablet instead, where i can have FASTER RESPONSE TIME (because right now, with factory defaults and such, it is abysmally slow!!! and what i really want more of, is as i said, faster response time -- key for what i really want), and, a wider app base? Thanks.

Every time i try to update the tablet OS, it says my network coverage is poor and it never works. I am not even 15 feet from my wireless router??? Otherwise the internet seems to work fine but the access is a bit spotty - i do not know how to fix this?

[someone told me about LineageOS but my tablet is not supported? the page i saw said that only an A700 works and not my A200 that i have to do some other kind of ROM called OmniROM 4.4 Kitkat or something like that?

[ROM][A200] OmniROM KitKat 4.4.2

I have also been doing a little reading on this other forum post too:
    https://community.acer.com/en/discus...or-wont-update

... and while i am totally smart when it comes to PCs, i am horribly dumb when it comes to cell phones and tablets and i honestly do not know what i am doing or how to do any of what that page says, and i am struggling with how to follow the dirextions. i am afraid of bricking my unit or flashing / updating with the wrong file, if i do something badly wrong
    Last edited by ProphetPX; 12-23-2019 at 05:41 AM.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links