• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

videos wont play on tablet but will play on android phone.

I have downloaded 10 different video players and none of them will play my videos. but the SAME videos play on my phone. they are mp4 format. what can i do? i am returning this today if i dont get it resolved.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    What do the video players say? How did you convert the movies?

Agent Iconia
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Read this thread here (especially my reply at post #7):
    No HD MP4 Video on A500

You can download this small free MediaInfo program, which gives a $hit load of information about your movie file. Most programs will not give you such level of detail. Save the result as a text file, and post it here. Chances are it's a profile/level mismatch of the codec which this particular tablet does not play. (Altough if it plays on your phone, it should play on the tablet.) Without getting a detailed info about the file it's nearly impossible to tell why your movie doesn't play.

PS: I found that if you encode the movie using HD frame size, main profile @ L3.1, H264, and give it an MP4 container, they play quite nicely and a 3Mbps data rate gives good quality on the tablet (although this can be highly personal taste).
    Last edited by pentool; 05-05-2011 at 12:24 PM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    i returned the tabled the other day. I put videos on other tablets in bestbuy and they didnt play either on this one or other brands with android os. i just give up. Also archos doesnt have tech support and i wont spend money when i cant find a number to call for help. i did some research and i have read tons of horror stories when it comes to getting video to play on tablets. the companies make me sick. they know they can make it easier to put videos on there but they do this mess to make us buy that model and then upgrade it to another in 1 yr. this is too much money to spend and not be able to play videos easily AND have a number with tech support to call.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I honestly think you made a mistake dude, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Getting videos to play is pretty simple. I think you should give the A500 another chance. I have several full length movies ripped and on my A500 and they look great.

Read this posted by DVD Catalyst over on our Xoom forum. All Xoom profiles apply with the A500:

The "How To Use DVD Catalyst 4 with your Xoom" guide is located here:

How to : DVD & Video to Xoom with DVD Catalyst 4

Xoom Profiles:

XOOM: intended for DVD conversions. Since most people use DVD Catalyst for DVDs (it doesn’t support Bluray yet) we optimized the settings in this profile for DVD and non HD video conversions. The 1500Kbps video quality setting produces amazing-looking DVD conversions, however for HD-sized content, this is a bit too low.

XOOM HQ1: Similar as the XOOM profile, but optimized for HD content.

XOOM HQ2: Higher quality settings for HD content (fast action movies)

XOOM HQ1 1080: If you use the Xoom’s TV out capability on a 1080 TV

XOOM HQ2 1080: Higher quality settings for 1080 TVs

XOOM (fast): Good quality video at a reasonable conversion speed, even on older computers.

TIPS:

Using a HD-optimized profile for DVDs is overkill.

Using one of the 1080 profiles if you don’t use TV-out is also overkill.

Conversions using a HQ2 profile on a Single-Core (old) computer will take a long time.

FAQ:

*Slow conversions.
    Try the Xoom (fast) profile, or lower the quality settings a bit. Higher quality means slower conversions. Also if you convert HD content, the resolution of the source file and the resolution of the created file affect the conversion speed (more pixels to deal with). At minimum use a Dual-Core, but if you have access to a QuadCore or more, use that instead.

*Large files.
    High Quality High Resolution video takes up quite a bit of space. You can lower the video quality a bit in order to reduce filesize.

*MKV crashes.
    The “official” version of DVD Catalyst currently does not support certain HD Audio formats such as E-AC3 and TruHD. If your MKV uses one of these formats for audio, the conversion will crash. Please have a look at the beta version of the upcoming 4.0.3 release, which includes support for these formats (and more).

*Confused about screen resolution.
    If the selected screen resolution in your profile is higher than that of the video you are converting, the original resolution will be kept. More information on this in the included User Guide at chapter 11.

Note: DVD Catalyst 4 uses a custom screen resolution in order to compensate for the permanent menubar of Honeycomb. While the screen resolution of the Xoom is 1280x800, the actual area that is used for video playback is a little less than that.

*Black borders?
    There are a number of reasons for a movie to have black borders when you play it on your device. Many Wide-screen movies have black padding added to the video to match certain specifications. DVD Catalyst 4 removes these by default. However, if your video does not have the same aspect ratio as the screen of your device, the video player itself will display black borders. To learn more about how to remove these borders (make all your videos completely full-screen) please have a look at chapter 10 in the included User Guide

*Audio Sync problems?
    When you preview your created video files, use something other than Windows Media Player on your computer. Due to some issues with video codecs Windows Media Player uses for playback of MP4 files, it can cause audio synchronization issues. Programs such as VLC or Apple Quicktime, both of which use their own methods for playing MP4 files, do not have these issues.

For more information, visit the Latest News section on the tools4movies website

Acer Iconia A500 - Rooted

Droid X - Rooted - Apex 1.4.1

Asus Transformer - Stock

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Most issues with electronics are user error. Either vids are not converted correctly, you are trying to play an incompatible format, or you're trying to play a video built for a different os. What video were you trying and I'm sure I can get it to play or figure out why it won't.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I'm new with it and videos have been working fine for me also. For the ones I do have to convert I just use nero, they look good just not 1080p LoL but hey its a tablet not a flat screen. I never had good luck with handbrake but nero hasn't let me down yet for this tab or my psp Also until I can get mobo app I'm just using Acer video player.

Agent Iconia
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    If you look at the NVIDIA Tegra 2 chip specs, you can see that it can handle 1080p videos and a lot of various formats. I'm not sure why Acer decided not to support these codecs (except for H.264 in an MP4 container) and instead the user will have to rely on adding a third party player to play other formats. In this case, I could just get rid of their stock player cuz it's useless, but the funny thing is, you can't even delete it because it's part of the system.

What a screw-up.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Did my research again and I found software that converts videos perfectly. It is called DVD CATALYST4. It was only 10 dollars. I saw the video on youtube and I downloaded the trial version (which only converts 25% of the file) and I converted a few videos and put on my flash drive. Went to BestBuy and stuck the drive into the floor model and BAM, they played. So I REPURCHASED the tablet and I am IN LOVE. The man at BB recommended this tablet over the XOOM.

LOVE THIS TABLET NOW. Also the flash works PERFECTLY. Downloaded from the market.

TOTALLY HAPPY.

wish they make a sleeve like the one for the ipad that opens like a book.

Ads