• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wiln10

Thread: BBC iPlayer file format

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

BBC iPlayer file format

Hi all

A novice so forgive me if I ask an obvious question etc?

Problem: Playing Video files on the A501

I use the BBC iPlayer quite a lot to download programs in Windows Media Audio format (WMA). I simply download these to the default BBC iPlayer folder on the desktop. I pop these WMA files onto a micro SD card,into my A501 and they are recognized within the Acer's default playback apps, MX Player & Acer Media & clear.fi but they won't play back. I guess WMA is not a supported file format. I understand that bit!

So, I now drag and drop the files into Windows Media Player - I connect the A501 to my PC, all is fine, the driver loads, the sync is activated. I can see the Acer A501 loaded in the top right hand corner of the Windows Media Player window; it asks me to drag and drop to sync with the A501, I click the sync icon; it says sync complete, OK to disconnect - but nothing. the file is there on the A501 but won't play in either MX Player or Acer Media via Media Player/Acer sync.

I see on this forum that the "Video Converter" is a popular tool, so I have downloaded this and I have tried to convert 1 WMA file to AVI format, but after 1 hour the 0% progress didn't move at all, the file is 500MB?

Am I doing something wrong?
    Does Video Converter do it's job?
    What file format do I convert too? - there are dozens to choose from in Video Converter?

Any help would be appreciated as I'm shortly going on holiday and the programs/films that I have on my PC would be fantastic if I could watch them on my A501?

Thanks in advance forum.

Neil.
    unlockiphone4 likes this.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    It appears that what you may really need for this is to convert audio to a more portable audio format, instead of a video format. MP3 is a very portable audio format, so you could convert your WMAs to that.

There are some options described here: Convert WMA from Windows Media Player into MP3 files? - Online Tech Support Help from Ask Dave Taylor!®.

If you use Firefox, you may find a handy add-on that you can use to convert/save files as MP3 directly from your PC browser. I use this one: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ownloadhelper/. It may work with WMA, but I have not tried that. I use it to convert YouTube videos to MP4 (video) and even MP3 for use on my old MP3 player. That's handy for when you only want the audio content.
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 07-19-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The problem is probably the DRM on iPlayer files. They time out after 7 or 30 days. They can be converted by Daniusoft Video Converter Ultimate at a price or look at ConvertiPlayer.com Media Converter Pro also at a price but there is a free try.
    I have only watched iPlayer streamed from the BBC site at home which is different. Does the iPlayer app download/store and play? I have not tried it as reviews are not very complementary. I'll give it a try.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links