• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

converting dvd's

What is working for people converting dvd's to play the A500? I get low volume on no matter what software I use on my mac.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I use DVD Catalyst for my video needs
    Last edited by tp76; 06-14-2011 at 08:31 PM.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I have been using Nero 7 no problems

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    -EQUIPMENT-
    Droid X 2 - Rooted. Awaiting Development.....
    Acer Iconia A500 - 3.1 Honeycomb - HoneyVillain 1.04 - Nastiest+ Theme, CWM Recovery, ITSMAGIC!!!
    Proud supporter of android.
    Acer Iconia A500 CWM Recovery - Updated

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I'd like to know also. I'm going on vacation next week and wanna add movies to my Acer.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

converting Dvd's

Try Hand break it's great and totally free. I use it on my Mac and the output is standard mp4, plays on my HTC evo and my A500 or the Mac or Windows.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Read this posted by DVD Catalyst over on our Xoom forum. All Xoom profiles apply with the A500:

The "How To Use DVD Catalyst 4 with your Xoom" guide is located here:

How to : DVD & Video to Xoom with DVD Catalyst 4

Xoom Profiles:
    XOOM: intended for DVD conversions. Since most people use DVD Catalyst for DVDs (it doesn’t support Bluray yet) we optimized the settings in this profile for DVD and non HD video conversions. The 1500Kbps video quality setting produces amazing-looking DVD conversions, however for HD-sized content, this is a bit too low.

XOOM HQ1: Similar as the XOOM profile, but optimized for HD content.

XOOM HQ2: Higher quality settings for HD content (fast action movies)

XOOM HQ1 1080: If you use the Xoom’s TV out capability on a 1080 TV

XOOM HQ2 1080: Higher quality settings for 1080 TVs

XOOM (fast): Good quality video at a reasonable conversion speed, even on older computers.

TIPS:
    Using a HD-optimized profile for DVDs is overkill.

Using one of the 1080 profiles if you don’t use TV-out is also overkill.

Conversions using a HQ2 profile on a Single-Core (old) computer will take a long time.

FAQ:
    *Slow conversions.
    Try the Xoom (fast) profile, or lower the quality settings a bit. Higher quality means slower conversions. Also if you convert HD content, the resolution of the source file and the resolution of the created file affect the conversion speed (more pixels to deal with). At minimum use a Dual-Core, but if you have access to a QuadCore or more, use that instead.

*Large files.
    High Quality High Resolution video takes up quite a bit of space. You can lower the video quality a bit in order to reduce filesize.

*MKV crashes.
    The “official” version of DVD Catalyst currently does not support certain HD Audio formats such as E-AC3 and TruHD. If your MKV uses one of these formats for audio, the conversion will crash. Please have a look at the beta version of the upcoming 4.0.3 release, which includes support for these formats (and more).

*Confused about screen resolution.
    If the selected screen resolution in your profile is higher than that of the video you are converting, the original resolution will be kept. More information on this in the included User Guide at chapter 11.

Note: DVD Catalyst 4 uses a custom screen resolution in order to compensate for the permanent menubar of Honeycomb. While the screen resolution of the Xoom is 1280x800, the actual area that is used for video playback is a little less than that.

*Black borders?
    There are a number of reasons for a movie to have black borders when you play it on your device. Many Wide-screen movies have black padding added to the video to match certain specifications. DVD Catalyst 4 removes these by default. However, if your video does not have the same aspect ratio as the screen of your device, the video player itself will display black borders. To learn more about how to remove these borders (make all your videos completely full-screen) please have a look at chapter 10 in the included User Guide

*Audio Sync problems?
    When you preview your created video files, use something other than Windows Media Player on your computer. Due to some issues with video codecs Windows Media Player uses for playback of MP4 files, it can cause audio synchronization issues. Programs such as VLC or Apple Quicktime, both of which use their own methods for playing MP4 files, do not have these issues.

For more information, visit the Latest News section on the tools4movies website

Acer Iconia A500 - Rooted

Droid X - Rooted - Apex 1.4.1

Asus Transformer - Stock

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I converted Star Trek with DVD Catalyst 4 and it worked perfectly. It even picked out the actual movie and discarded all the other content. The movie itself looks amazing on the Iconia screen. Plays perfect.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hopefully DVD catalyst will work OK for me...I just bought it....$10 off at the moment ($9.95 - bargain!).

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    My converter of choice is FreeMake Video Converter. Totally free with plenty of control.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links