• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: A500 review from an Android Newb

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

A500 review from an Android Newb

So I'm writing this "review" from my tab, which I've had for a month now, to summarize my thoughts about the purchase. I'm totally new to Android, and haven't used anything made by Apple to date except making a phone call on a borrowed iPhone.
    For starters, I have to say that I was surprised to learn just how dumb the thing is once it's away from a web connection. I'm going to get myself a portable wifi 3g widget, just to try and make it useable.
    I was also under the impression that I'd be able to run things like the full open office program on it, but that did turn out to be laziness on my part-there was a bunch of information out there on the subject, whichi just failed to read. I must have just added Google and Android together to assume that because open office was a googlething, android would run it.
    Moving on.
    I realise now that I use the home and end keys on a keyboard compulsively. I don't understand why they don't seem to exist in android? Same with the whole cut and paste thing. Yes I have now worked it out, but why so hard? And just typing this papragraph drives me nuts, because of how hard it is to use simple things like arrow keys.

But for the positives?

I really like the screen resolution, and the ability to jump into apps like the dolphin browserand kindle, which make really good of the screen size. Docs to go is great and the price make the upgrade a no brainer.

Too much was made in reviews of the weight..I haven't noticed it at all.

All up, it's a really great little gizmo for the price. Add 3G and it would have been even better.
    kangbest114 likes this.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I've only had mine for about 36 hours... and I am absolutely loving it! I'm exploring these forums and finding some terrific apps and finding out what I can do on it. Yes, it's going to be frustrating at times not having a cellular data connection, but I bought it full-well knowing the limitations that will throw upon m. That does make me think, so now I have a question...

I currently have an iPhone 4 through AT&T. Can you tether the A500 to the iPhone if you have the tethering plan?

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    My review so far is very positive. I havent experienced the keyboard lag with 3.1, though I will admit it is possibly because I am still getting used to typing on it and with the split keyboard it is quite an adjustment. I love the functionality of it, this I expected because I am very familiar with Android and cant help myself but love what it has to offer. I understand some apps still arent working, such as Netflix, but they will in time.

All in all I am greatful that Target had that deal this week on the A500. Sure the deal at Staples was cheaper but if I had waited until that popped up I am not sure what I would have bought and at this point I am very happy it was this tablet.

I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a tablet. You definitely get some bang for your buck for sure
    Tablet: A500
    Phone: Droid X

Dedicated Android User and Supporter!!

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    AS FOR THE 3G part there is avaliable a Iconia for approx $100 more I think that has a built in card that you get to choose your carrier for.

As for the keyboard yes I agree it can be quite aggravating, when your use to the Windows keyboards but don't do as I did and mess with the generic Bluetooth Keyboards that are around for $20 or so or one made by Ihome that is made for both Apple and Android.
    My wife also has an Iconia a500 as well and she chose one made by Logitech which works well for being a Multi-Android device keyboard.
    Typing is fine but navigation on your tablet is a bit of a challenge although she likes it.

Now I myself i found on Amazon also avaliable on Acer's sight a Iconia Tablet Keyboard made just for the a100 as well as the a500 and it works perfectly, It has your normal hotkeys Back, Search, Volume +-, Web, Email, Camera, Folders, Music, Multimedia, Wifi, Lock, and Delete as well as all your normal Keys that are on your standard keyboards. Although I don't think Copy/Paste is here but who can complain it beats the onscreen keyboard and it's IMHO as full fetured as your going to get at least for the moment in Android.
    All in all I can't complain except I wish the Keys were a little eaiser to see letter wise they are kind of light but other then that perfect.

And it only cost about $40.... I hope this helps...

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Ainol Novo 7 ELF II – 7 inch HD (1024*600) Android 4.0 Tablet PC with 1GB DDR3 RAM Dual-Core ARM Cortex A9 CPU 2MP Front Camera HDMI 8GB: $219, On Sale Now: $129.99 from uPlay Tablet"

Ainol Novo 7 ELF II – 7 inch HD (1024*600) Android 4.0 Tablet PC with 1GB DDR3 RAM Dual-Core ARM Cortex A9 CPU 2MP Front Camera HDMI 8GB: $219, On Sale Now: $129.99 uPlay Tablet

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Ainol Novo 7 Aurora II English Edition Ultra-thin Android 4.0 Tablet PC 7 inch LG IPS HD Screen 1GB RAM ARM Cortex-A9 1.5GHz Dual-Core CPU 2160P HD 2MP Front Camera HDMI 16GB: $279.99, On Sale Now: $189.99 Free Shipping* from uPlay Tablet"

Ainol Novo 7 Aurora II English Edition Ultra-thin Android 4.0 Tablet PC 7 inch LG IPS HD Screen 1GB RAM ARM Cortex-A9 1.5GHz Dual-Core CPU 2160P HD 2MP Front Camera HDMI 16GB: $279.99, On Sale Now: $189.99 Free Shipping* uPlay Tablet

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mark57 View Post
    So I'm writing this "review" from my tab, which I've had for a month now, to summarize my thoughts about the purchase. I'm totally new to Android, and haven't used anything made by Apple to date except making a phone call on a borrowed iPhone.
    For starters, I have to say that I was surprised to learn just how dumb the thing is once it's away from a web connection. I'm going to get myself a portable wifi 3g widget, just to try and make it useable.
    I was also under the impression that I'd be able to run things like the full open office program on it, but that did turn out to be laziness on my part-there was a bunch of information out there on the subject, whichi just failed to read. I must have just added Google and Android together to assume that because open office was a googlething, android would run it.
    Moving on.
    I realise now that I use the home and end keys on a keyboard compulsively. I don't understand why they don't seem to exist in android? Same with the whole cut and paste thing. Yes I have now worked it out, but why so hard? And just typing this papragraph drives me nuts, because of how hard it is to use simple things like arrow keys.

But for the positives?

I really like the screen resolution, and the ability to jump into apps like the dolphin browserand kindle, which make really good of the screen size. Docs to go is great and the price make the upgrade a no brainer.

Too much was made in reviews of the weight..I haven't noticed it at all.

All up, it's a really great little gizmo for the price. Add 3G and it would have been even better.
    Good tablet. But what about the touch sentivity? Is the OS upgradable for further versions?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Post Review Response to the Question

Quote Originally Posted by lawmen View Post
    Good tablet. But what about the touch sentivity? Is the OS upgradable for further versions?
    I am currently running Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) aka Android 4.0.3. It was an over the air update. (OTA).

The unit came with Honeycomb, 3.0.1, I updated it to 3.1, then 3.2, then 3.2.1. Then 4.0.3 all in the span of 4 months of owning the unit. I love my tab. Would not go anywhere without it.

I have a car mount for it and and use if as a GPS and Entertainment device in my car as well as a keyboard folio cover so I have a full keyboard when I am away from home and need to be serious about my input and quick.

Rumor has it that 4.0.4 is not too far off.

If you are a bit game for building your own system at the Operating System level, then Clockwork Mod is your thing. CM7 was for 2.3 CM9 is for 4.0 and there is a new one for 4.1 Jelly Bean. The Jelly Bean is rather new at this point and still very early in the process (Alpha) but there is a very strong development crew that is working towards release code stability and surely will have that in the coming weeks so that if you are not squeamish about rooting your unit and triming the kernel load to the minimums then loading only the apps you need, so you get maximum space, maximum battery, maximum performance with the latest Kernels... Join the crowd....

You are only limited by your imagination and ingenuity with Android. The Sky is the limit here.

I have in my family 2 Samsung Galaxy II's, 2 Samsung Nexus S's, 3 Acer Iconia A500's (2 - 32 GB 1 - 16 GB), 2 Nook Color's Rooted with CM7, and a Motorola Cliq XT.

All are easily updated one way or another. Stock means you have to follow your manufacturer to get updates. Rooted allows you maximum flexibility to follow the plethora of Kernels available out there.

Cary

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    GPS in your car ! How does that all work, is it the same as a SatNav device?

Regards

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    My GPS works fine here.

From Philippines, using Acer A500

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links