• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Acer Backing Off From Touch-Screen Device Business

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times

Acer Backing Off From Touch-Screen Device Business

Even though the Acer Iconia Tabs were very good products, they haven't sold very well, unfortunately. Acer just announced that they were pulling back from the touch-device biz. Here's a quote from the PhoneArena article with some details,

...the company reported that it will be dropping its touch business group and relocating half of its 300 research and development personnel to other divisions within the company. Acer said it would not be abolishing its smartphone and tablet teams completely, but would be cutting the teams down to 30 and 70 people, respectively.
    This is surely disappointing news for fans of the "little tab that could." Perhaps as the technology and the market continues to evolve, they may jump back in the game in a big way again. There are rumors that they still may announced one mor new Iconia tab at CES in January. We will keep you informed.

Source: PhoneArena

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    this is sad news as I am really getting to love my tablet. I have been telling all my Co-workers & friends about it .
    Sent from Acer Iconia a500

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    This sad news, how will this change updates to ICS that was supposed to come in January. I can't beleive I'm only the second person to respond to this news. Iknow I'm new to this page but I love my A500, would not take an ipad if given to me.
    Last edited by wthomas50; 12-23-2011 at 03:41 PM.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    What a shame. I love my A500. I've heard tabs haven't sold that well, except of course apple's. Maybe just too many android versions that spread sales to thin.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hope they keep supporting these tabs with updates. I'm starting to warm up to the tablet.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Yeah, I was pretty shocked considering I've been trying to get my wife one for a few days now and they are sold out in all the retails stores. I've had mine since the weekend they came out and have been very happy with my purchase. I'm a telecom/IT tech and I'd say I use it for a lot more than most and I believe this is by far the best android tablet on the market right now (I've had thrive, xoom, eepad (closest runner up) and I'm not impressed with the sony tablets or new samsungs). This HAS to purely be a lack of marketing effort. I see people buying ipads in groves and you wanna know why, the commercials hit every 5 minutes on just about every major network showing how easy it is for your kid to do some genius musical composition or video chat with the grandparents at the touch of a button....but all of us techies know how it really is.
    Last edited by pingram3541; 12-23-2011 at 10:17 PM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

A100

This is not good news. I spent a month reading reviews and going hands on. After a while I figured out that I did not want an I pad. I got my A100 a month age and use it a lot. I wish there was something like Quicken but there will be a good checkbook program out eventually.
    I pads are for kids.
    LD

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I guess this means they aren't going to fix the low microphone volume problem. no resources.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Not cool at all, hopefully they keep on supporting the current tabs for a while.....
    PAFord likes this.
    Welcome To AcerTabletForum
    Please feel free to PM me if you need any help

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Welll.....ours isn't even unwrapped yet...and already discontinued? Doh!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links