• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Toasted my A500 - USB Charger

Just thought I would post a quick note about 12V USB Chargers. (Car charger with a micro USB connector).

As I discovered today, plugging your tablet into this in an effort to get a charge, or keep your tablet going will turn your A500 into a lovely brick.

After I plugged it in, screen went blank and the unit shut off. Paperclip reset, manual reset and recovery mode didn't work. I had to sent the unit into Acer, (Of course I don't know what happened to it, it just shut off. XD ) and they confirmed it was DOA.

So a word to the wise, don't try and charge it through usb. Wont work and the the end result is devastating.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    179 times
    Ouch! The tabs A500 and A100 can't be charge trough USB. Are they charging you for the service or replacing it?

Sent from Rob's TapadaIconia

Welcome To AcerTabletForum

Please feel free to PM me if you need any help

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    So far Im not certain. I haven't heard word back from them about how much, if anything it will cost. Funny thing is, the charger was from wal-mart and claimed compatibility.

Often times if it seems too good to be true, it usually is.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Sorry to hear about your tab
    Sent from Acer Iconia a500

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Man that sucks... Good to know though, thanks for the heads up. The problem still exists with the short charge cord on the supplied charger.
    Chuck

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    wow. scarey!! i bought the charger cord from walmart that says its for the a500 and a100. i have the a100 and have used the charger and thankfully have had no problems. are you refering to a usb cord or a regular wall charger?

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    You can use a car charger, but make sure to get a regulated one. Cars actually run around 14V and the power is noisy so you need a regulated charger to ensure your tablet gets clean 12V.
    BTW, that is yet another application for DC-DC voltage converters. Regulated car chargers have a DC-DC voltage converter in them, which is one reason they cost more than your average el-cheapo car charger.
    Also make sure whatever car charger you get can handle the current requirement with some overhead so it doesn't overheat or burn out. The A100's power supply is rated at 1.5 amps which at 12V makes 18 watts, so 2 amps or 24 watts should be sufficient. You can get a charger rated for more current/power, but don't get one rated for less.

BTW, the A500/A100 is not designed to charge via USB. My point above about DC-DC converters was that Acer could have designed it to trickle charge via USB, but they chose not to to keep costs down. Enabling it to trickle charge via USB would require internal changes and there is no easy way to "fix" that.
    Last edited by MRC01; 12-14-2011 at 10:51 AM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    So the tablet came back from Acer service. Need I say, Im very impressed by the speed of their service. All was under warranty and it is now all fixed up and is a happy slate.

The work order says: Replaced motherboard and USB board. Please use care when pressing the reset button. Updated OS. System tested OK.

Im very happy with this whole experience involving acer. And Ill echo MRC01's comment.

A vehicle charger will work, providing it is a filtered, regulated adapter, set to provide the output required by the tablet, and the correct amperage.

Learn from my fail... .

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Man, that stinks. Glad I read first, was wondering if I could use the USB to charge in the car. This answers that question.:-(

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    what if i spliced a usb cable and a charger tip for the iconia together?

Ads