• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Wink Compatible power supply

has anyone found a compatible power supply as of yet - would hate to be stranded without one !!!

2. # ADS
    Ads

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    There is a universal power supply from Radio Shack that is compatible. Enercell 12V/1500mA AC Adapter : AC Adapters | RadioShack.com
    They will provide you a FREE tip to use with this adapter. The one you need to get for the a500 is Tip "G". Enercell Adaptaplug G : Adaptaplugs | RadioShack.com

It has a 6 foot cord so it is much easier to use the tablet while you are charging it. However, the tip is a little bit longer than the one that comes with the stock charger and it does not have the groove on the tip that helps keep the thing in place. So as long as you are not yanking the cord or swinging your tablet too much, it should work fine. I have used mine for a while now and it works just fine.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Make sure you set the polarity correctly when you attach the pin to the adapter. The "+" sign should line up with the word "tip".
    I hope this helps. I hated the short wire on the stock charger. I now keep the stock charger at work and use this one at home.
    Enjoy.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    thank you - will go out and get one ASAP

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I bought one of these from Radio Shack yesterday during lunch and it works great. The clerk tried to charge me for the tip until I pointed out the package label that said it came with a free one.

Then I got home last night, and the power supply I ordered from the Acer website was sitting on the front porch.\

So now I have a brick for home, one for work, and one for my travel bag.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I think this is similar, but it says DC.
    Nexxtech 12VDC 1500 mA AC Adapter | AC Adapters & Plugs | Ratings & Reviews | TheSource.ca
    Same?
    I think it's the same company that makes the RS one you posted above. TheSource used to be Canada's Radio Shack.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I like to see a car charger for this item?

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks for the info Lumarti!

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I bought the Radio Shack adapter and I had to remind the clerk that the 'G' is free - so they fixed my order. Great adapter, keep in mind that the connector does not fit snug and can fall out if tablet is rotated.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3889594#"]http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3889594#]Enercell Universal 12VDC Coiled Power Cord (8-Ft.) : Car Adapters | RadioShack.com

This car charger from Radio Shack should be compatible. It is 12V and up to 2A. The iconia needs 1.5A so it should work. The adapter comes with 4 various tips, however, the one we need for the a500 is the "G" tip and that one is not included with this car charger. You will need to purchase the tip separately. (Note that the wall charger I mentioned in my previous post comes with a free tip, so you can get the G tip with the wall charger for free).

As with the wall charger, you need to make sure you set the polarity correctly when attaching the tip to the car charger.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    If you are interested in a car charger for the ACER A500 tablet, see if you can find the PowerLine Universal Car Cord Adapter Model 90923. I purchased mine at a local Walmart.

Walmart.com: Search Results for "90293"

The device plugs into the cigarette lighter jack of your car. It comes with a variety of tips. It does have the tip that fits the A500. Many other similar chargers do not have the correct tip for the tablet.

The charger has slider switches to set the voltage and polarity. For the ACER A500 tablet, set the voltage to 12 Volts and the polarity to positive (+). The tip itself fits only one way, so you cannot get the polarity reversed unless you set the polarity switch incorrectly. The charger supplies up to 2000 mAmps (2.0 Amps), exceeding the 1.5 Amps supplied by the original ACER wall charger. As a bonus, the adapter also has a USB port that can be used to charge 5.0 V devices like cell phones.

I purchased one of the adapters and can verify that it does work with the ACER A500 tablet.

Walmart also sells a PowerLine adapter that plugs into 125V wall receptacles, but it is only rated at 1300 mA. That is slightly less than the rating on the ACER charger, so I do not know if it will work. I plan to purchase one, but I have not yet done so. I am hoping it will work, even it it takes a little longer to recharge the batteries.

Ads