• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Exclamation Tablet crashed, need help!!!!

Ok, So I had an issue with my Acer a550, where apps were not working properly... Then I updated my OS which was lonnnng overdue, and within two days, the system crashed. I cannot get onto the main screen to access any part of the programs or system settings. I have tried to do the manual erase, with no success. I did find that all my personal data was stored on the micro sd card, so I took that and uploaded it to my computer. Now I have an sd card ready to put some sort of boot on there for my tablet to read from...

Here is the the problem: I don't know which version of OS i had, and all I have to go by are the numbers on the box, and what is on the back of the tablet. Is there any way to download some sort of boot from my computer, then save it to my micro sd card, where I can then boot to the tablet? And what numbers, if any, would help me know the OS that i have on my tablet?

I got some help on this, but I need more. If I have to send it off, it would be just as easy to buy a new one, which I may not do because I have lost faith in these devices. So, can anyone suggest a solution for me?

thank you ever so much.

Terr

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    You seem to be describing a blank screen after the boot completes. That could be an app compatibility problem. If it is getting stuck at the Android or Acer screens, then that may be a boot problem.

Try method 2 here first: [HOW TO] Perform A Factory Reset. It can take a few tries to get it right. Follow the instructions very carefully.

I would try flashing a stock ICS ROM image next. If that does not flash, then the bootloader may be still be Honeycomb, and you could then try a Honeycomb image. If the image is not compatible with the bootloader, it won't install, but it won't likely get any worse than it is now either.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have tried the factory reset. More than just once. What happens is that it tells me that it is erasing data, and just sits there, doing nothing. I have left it on for like an hour or so, thinking that it took time to erase. But nothing happens.

When I try to start the tablet it goes all the way to a screen that has an icon on the left upper part of the screen that looks like a gear and pulley. Then I see the date and time in the lower right hand part of the scree. also the nav buttons on the lower left side. But as soon as it gets to that point, a popup window says that it is shutting down, and never does anything. Not even shut down.

I am not familiar with flashing, but would try it if possible.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    If it gets stuck erasing data, then it is probably hung on an I/O system call trying to write storage while recreating the /data filesystem. That probably means that the eMMC chip has failed, and flashing will likely not work. It certainly can't hurt to try though. There are some full ROM packages and instructions here: Acer Stock Firmware Files List (Full, Update and EUUs) - xda-developers.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Just so it doesn't look like I haven't given up, I am trying the factory data reset again. I want to make sure I have followed the steps to the letter

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks. I will look there and see what I get from that. Ok, since I have done more data reset attempts, It now actually goes to the main screen (tho black) and is locked. Everything I said that I saw before is there, but I cannot navigate. Just now it restarted on its own, and is showing the android word in the startup mode.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links