• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times

How-To: Resolve 'Wifi Issue' With a Static IP Address

Regrettably, some of us have suffered frustration with the flaky wifi driver on the A500 not accepting an IP address from our routers handing out IP's via DHCP. When I encountered this myself (in the Target parking lot, trying to tether to my Sensation and getting nowhere fast) I decided the quickest and easiest fix is to manually assign the Acer its own IP address, and bypass the DHCP server. Luckily, I'm a control-freak about my networking, and had already set up the Sensation to my own WLAN settings range in its Hot Spot settings (under Advanced), so I knew all I had to do was go into the Acer's wifi settings and assign a manual IP to it to get my connection up and running. Here's how it's done in two steps:

A) Gather some basic info about your network, unless you're like me and have it all memorised since it is indeed quite simple. You need to know the following: Router IP address, DHCP IP range being doled out by the router's DHCP server, IP subnet mask, and DNS server addresses for primary and fallback, and naturally any encryption password you need for your WLAN.

B) Using info above, manually assign a stable IP address, subnet, and DNS server addresses and encryption password to your tablet's wifi settings.

For step A: We gain this information on a home network, you can usually run ipconfig /all on console/command prompt, on any connected client to get most or all of this info. Under the data for your network adapter your IP is shown, along with whether DHCP is enabled, as well as your subnet, Gateway (router) IP, and DNS server. Write these down for use a bit later.

*If you presently already have a stable wifi connection on your Acer, you can find connection details (current IP address assigned) by going to Settings->About Tablet->Status, and we can re-use this IP address as a 'fixed' address, but using one beyond the range of DHCP is even better (more below).

Now I prefer to log into the router and get the IP range that DHCP is currently serving...often defaults for most makes are similar to 192.168.1.1 for Gateway/Router, 192.168.1.2->.255 for its DHCP range. You can turn off DHCP and manually assign IP's for your LAN/WLAN like I do, or leave it on, but I also recommend narrowing its range down considerably...10 to 20 DHCP addresses should be plenty for most home networks, and this frees up the remaining addresses for manual assignment. An example would be to have 192.168.1.2->192.168.1.19 available to DHCP server, and we can use .20 onward as manually assigned IP's. These addresses beyond .20 are considered 'beyond the DHCP range' and should offer no conflicts from the router's DHCP server going forward.

For step B: Armed with a selected IP for our tab (eg. 192.168.1.20) we simply navigate to our wifi network on the tab, select our network and get the settings dialog. Under 'IP settings', select the dropdown and choose 'Static' (this is best done in portrait mode, since the dropdown now expands for more manual entries). Enter your encryption password in the Password field, chosen IP address (eg. 192.168.1.20) in the IP address field, your Gateway IP address in the Gateway field (leave 'Network prefix field alone), and your DNS addresses in DNS1 and DNS2 fields (I often just put my Gateway address in both). Verify your entries, and when satisfied, click Connect. If all settings are compatible, you should join your WLAN almost instantly! If not, re-examine your entries and retry, or step backwards through this process to determine where the issue originates. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by alphawave7; 07-25-2011 at 04:26 PM.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Alphawave,

Thanks much for doing this for us technologically challenged members. I have a question, I travel a lot and am constantly accessing airport and hotel wireless networks. How will this set up you describe affect me?

Thanks in advance...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    Simple..it won't, since you won't be trying to connect to YOUR network....the settings (and dialog) are different for every network you wish to connect to, so DHCP may still be enabled for them. :-) Thanks for the compliment!

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Even using static IP address, i get the same endless loop - "connecting..." "disconnected" "scanning..." "connecting..." "disconnected".

On 4.010.10_COM_GEN2

paperclip reset button doesn't fix it, either. Paperclip reset timed for when it's "scanning" didn't work.

Patch from acer didn't work.

What else can I try? Please help.
    Last edited by DrAzzy; 08-05-2011 at 08:04 PM.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    If you're not connecting at home to a network you were before, you wont connect to anything else, either.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I am trying to connect at work and have no way to get this information. I am starting to think this was a bad purchase and needs to be returned. Any ideas as to how I can get mine to connect at the office? It is doing the same thing as DrAzzy.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tcansler View Post
    I am trying to connect at work and have no way to get this information. I am starting to think this was a bad purchase and needs to be returned. Any ideas as to how I can get mine to connect at the office? It is doing the same thing as DrAzzy.
    Try 'forget network' and start from scratch.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    For Alphawave7 -

When I navigate to the Wireless & Networks section of Settings, the 'Wi-Fi settings' words are not highlighted. What do I need to do to get at the Wi-Fi settings for a running network? This if for an A500 running HC3.1.

TIA

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wintertexan562 View Post
    For Alphawave7 -

When I navigate to the Wireless & Networks section of Settings, the 'Wi-Fi settings' words are not highlighted. What do I need to do to get at the Wi-Fi settings for a running network? This if for an A500 running HC3.1.

TIA
    Make sure you have enabled WiFi first. Then you'll be able to affect settings.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Alphawave, you say "Under 'IP settings', select the dropdown and choose 'Static' (this is best done in portrait mode, since the dropdown now expands for more manual entries)". These settings don't seem to be available on my Iconia, at least not to edit. Is that because the IP address created when I "Add a wi-fi network" is already static, in which case the option wouldn't need to exist?

Otherwise, how do I access the "pulldown" you mention?

Thank you in advance.

Ads