• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I bought the Acer tablet on Sunday and cannot use it at home. It doesn't recognize my router. My Toshiba laptop works fine using this router. I went to Starbucks this afternoon and it worked just fine.
    I'm frustrated and don't know what to do to rectify the situation. Please help. Thanks

2. # ADS
    Ads

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Sorry but not being computer savy I have no idea what you're talking about. My Acer works at Best Buy and Starbucks but not at home. My Toshiba laptop works fine from my router. I'm stumped.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    My problem is the diner I have breakfast. I connect to their router fine. It says the connection is good but I still can,t get on the WEB. The tablet fails to down
    Load even Google.com. Are there any suggestions?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Oy. I'm neither a noob or a networking expert, but the freaking connect button on my network turns to disabled as soon as I switch to 'static'. Never connected with my A500 to anything. Of course my wireless network works fine with many other devices.

Edit: Just to update, I found a thread on XDA with someone who's getting this exact problem where the connect button is disabled when you try to enter a static IP, and the Iconia has an IP populated that's not on my network which won't go away no matter how many times you do factory resets with a paperclip or restore factory settings in settings. The person on XDA returned his. I got my 10s8u on cyber monday at best buy and they aren't carrying them anymore so I have until 1/24 to see if they get 16gb units in and maybe they'll replace it for me, otherwise I'm going to have to just return it and take my money back.
    Last edited by Karlzbad; 01-04-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I am using this method since day 2 and it is working perfectly.
    Anyway, sometimes when I wake up my tablet, I have not connectivity even wifi is connected I have no ping to router, but a short wifi Off, Wifi On normally solves the issue.
    Hope soemday we get a real fix to this.

BR

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    My issue is that my tablet says I have internet connection thru router but when I click on browser it says it can't connect. I got this tablet for Christmas and still have yet to get it up and going. The laptop and computer work fine so I can't imagine it is the actual internet causing this problem. I did the factory reset already and that didn't change anything, any ideas?

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I haven't been on here in a while, but I've tried several custom ROMS only to find they all have the dreded wifi issue. I'm currently running Civato's Flexstriker ROM which has a DHCP lease patch that has seemed to fix the wifi issue. Been running this rom for a week or so with no wifi drop. Maybe this will help tabbers who know how to flash custom software. As far as the static ip, I have a Cisco router and have almost every device setup as static ip for the longest time. Nothing seems to fix it except for the patch built into Civato's ROM.
    Last edited by joeydownsouth; 01-25-2012 at 07:08 PM.
    Devices:
    Iconia A200-stock for now
    Samsung Galaxy S3 ROM:Chemistry KERNAL:Agat RECOVERY:TWRP
    HTC EVO LTE 4g S-OFF(DirtyRacun) ROM:RLS1-Operation Jellybean KERNAL:Elementalx-EVO-4.2 RECOVERY:TWRP
    Viewsonic G-Tab ROM: G-HarmonyICS v6 RECOVERY:modified CWM

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Regrettably, some of us have suffered frustration with the flaky wifi driver on the A500 not accepting an IP address from our routers handing out IP's via DHCP. When I encountered this myself (in the Target parking lot, trying to tether to my Sensation and getting nowhere fast) I decided the quickest and easiest fix is to manually assign the Acer its own IP address, and bypass the DHCP server. Luckily, I'm a control-freak about my networking, and had already set up the Sensation to my own WLAN settings range in its Hot Spot settings (under Advanced), so I knew all I had to do was go into the Acer's wifi settings and assign a manual IP to it to get my connection up and running. Here's how it's done in two steps:

A) Gather some basic info about your network, unless you're like me and have it all memorised since it is indeed quite simple. You need to know the following: Router IP address, DHCP IP range being doled out by the router's DHCP server, IP subnet mask, and DNS server addresses for primary and fallback, and naturally any encryption password you need for your WLAN.

B) Using info above, manually assign a stable IP address, subnet, and DNS server addresses and encryption password to your tablet's wifi settings.

For step A: We gain this information on a home network, you can usually run ipconfig /all on console/command prompt, on any connected client to get most or all of this info. Under the data for your network adapter your IP is shown, along with whether DHCP is enabled, as well as your subnet, Gateway (router) IP, and DNS server. Write these down for use a bit later.

*If you presently already have a stable wifi connection on your Acer, you can find connection details (current IP address assigned) by going to Settings->About Tablet->Status, and we can re-use this IP address as a 'fixed' address, but using one beyond the range of DHCP is even better (more below).

Now I prefer to log into the router and get the IP range that DHCP is currently serving...often defaults for most makes are similar to 192.168.1.1 for Gateway/Router, 192.168.1.2->.255 for its DHCP range. You can turn off DHCP and manually assign IP's for your LAN/WLAN like I do, or leave it on, but I also recommend narrowing its range down considerably...10 to 20 DHCP addresses should be plenty for most home networks, and this frees up the remaining addresses for manual assignment. An example would be to have 192.168.1.2->192.168.1.19 available to DHCP server, and we can use .20 onward as manually assigned IP's. These addresses beyond .20 are considered 'beyond the DHCP range' and should offer no conflicts from the router's DHCP server going forward.

For step B: Armed with a selected IP for our tab (eg. 192.168.1.20) we simply navigate to our wifi network on the tab, select our network and get the settings dialog. Under 'IP settings', select the dropdown and choose 'Static' (this is best done in portrait mode, since the dropdown now expands for more manual entries). Enter your encryption password in the Password field, chosen IP address (eg. 192.168.1.20) in the IP address field, your Gateway IP address in the Gateway field (leave 'Network prefix field alone), and your DNS addresses in DNS1 and DNS2 fields (I often just put my Gateway address in both). Verify your entries, and when satisfied, click Connect. If all settings are compatible, you should join your WLAN almost instantly! If not, re-examine your entries and retry, or step backwards through this process to determine where the issue originates. Hope this helps!
    Don't know if you are still checking this but had a question.

Did everything and it connected instantly but I can not surf on the internet or when on market can not download any apps or update.

Any ideas?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Nearly a year and a half later, same issue

Quote Originally Posted by Karlzbad View Post
    Oy. I'm neither a noob or a networking expert, but the freaking connect button on my network turns to disabled as soon as I switch to 'static'. Never connected with my A500 to anything. Of course my wireless network works fine with many other devices.

Edit: Just to update, I found a thread on XDA with someone who's getting this exact problem where the connect button is disabled when you try to enter a static IP...
    UPDATE: If anyone cannot press the 'Connect' button because it is grayed out, try out something that worked for me.

The solution is so idiotic, it defies comprehension. All the fields for my Static IP were already filled out. The IP address, Network Prefix, DNS, etc.

I was sitting here wondering WHY the stupid CONNECT button is gray. Then I was like, "Man, if I was a real moron and I was writing software for this tablet, I would write some code that forces the user to retype all the information that is automatically put into the fields before allowing them to even think about pressing the CONNECT button. Yeah, that's so stupid it must be genius. Promotion here I come!"

Sure enough, I went field by field, reentering the info that was already in those fields. Once I retyped the info that was in the Network Prefix field, the CONNECT button became available, and I was able to connect instantly. Now let's hope it actually STAYS connected, something it was atrocious at using DHCP.

ORIGINAL POST FOLLOWS:

16 months later, I am having the same problem.

I used to use DHCP, but I got tired of my Wifi being connected and "STRONG" one minute, then not being able to connect at all. Either "Obtaining IP" that it refuses to obtain, or it doing nothing, just continuing to show my network name.

I googled and found this forum, but I can't click the "Connect" button after I input all the settings for a Static IP.
    Last edited by EricVMo; 05-08-2013 at 09:05 PM.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    The Connect button won't appear unless the tablet receives a stable radio signal carrying the associated ssid. What you describe seems to be a radio reception problem, not a dhcp issue. There may also be some other radio source nearby that is competing in the same bandwidth. That may explain the intermittent nature of the problem. Some Iconia owners experience more stable WiFi when Bluetooth is turned off. You may also want to consider trying a different router/AP. Some APs are more stable than others.

Ads