• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Facebook app not wanting to open

Ok, let me lay down the history of what has happened. I bought my Acer with all the basic stuff on it of course. I added all the apps that I have wanted or needed, with not a lot of problem. Now I'm not sure which android version I have, (probably honeycomb, but don't quote me on that) but I have not upgraded my OS since I bought the tablet. So I added Facebook app to my tablet, and it worked fine! I was happy, I was getting on Facebook and doing what I wanted to do! Then I decided to upgrade... from that point on, it either comes up saying "force close?" or it shuts down, or it never opens up at all! I have uninstalled it, re-installed it, and done that twice or more, and nothing.

Does anyone know what is wrong with Facebook? Or my tablet?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok, so nobody knows anything about apps? I thought I would get at least one reply. By the way, My android update would not update. when I downloaded it, and tried to install it, it says invalid... how can it be invalid?

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    If the OS is out of date, then that could be contributing to the problem. Updating apps without keeping the OS current can be a recipe for problems, because some (most?) developers do not test on older versions, and incompatibilities to older OS versions will creep in as an older OS version becomes less popular.

You can try clearing data for the Facebook app. Incompatible data structures are a common cause of app problems after updates.

On the Android OS update issue, you can start here: trouble getting ics update, and here: Really slow update and app process problem. If you can provide more information about your tablet and the current OS, you are more likely to get more prompt and more specific answers to questions. It helps to provide the Android version (from Settings > About tablet). It may also help to let folks know whether you bought the tablet new or used, and whether or not it is stock, if it has been rooted, etc. Providing more complete detail about the update errors, how long that took, and what the update screen says when you start the update (ALL details) may be of significant help also.
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 06-24-2013 at 03:03 PM.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I agree, the app should be up to date so it will be working fine. The weird thing is that you can't update? Is that right? Have you tried to boot your phone?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the answers, and yes updating the system fixed the Facebook app, but now I have another problem. I turned on my tablet and yet another update was offered. (this time a small file, but it was an update) so I did just as I had done with the last update, and now the tablet will not come on past the lock page, and if I manage to get to the lock page and unlock it, it freezes up.. Also I had a full battery when doing this, now it shows I have 15% battery left. Right now it shows "Android System" in the top left corner of the tablet, with a pop up window that says "Power off? shutting down" which it has not done so. ( has the "working" circle in motion as well)

I can't access the any tablet information now because of not getting on the tablet's system settings. But it was bought new, at Office Depot, probably a year and a half to two years ago. I would say it has the honeycomb version of the OS, but I'm only guessing. Please direct me to someone who can help me. Now at this point I can't access anything. I am going to try to hook it up to my computer tho and get the files off of there in case I need to do a hard reset. That is the only thing I can think of at the moment. I use this for my business, and need it fixed.. Oh and I went to Acer for help, and they want information that is on my tablet, and I can't give it to them because I can't access it. So I can't get any online help from them at all.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Plug in so you don't lose charge entirely. Then hold the power button for at least 5 seconds to force power off. If booting up after that returns you to the same problem, you may need to do the Factory data reset as described here: [HOW TO] Perform A Factory Reset.

The update you applied may have been the last update for Honeycomb.

My first guess based on your description is that you may have an incompatible or otherwise malfunctioning app installed.
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 07-02-2013 at 02:45 PM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks. I can't imagine it making such a problem for me just by updating. TBH, I think it's crazy to update all the time and leave me hanging when I need this tablet for my business. That is part of the reason I didn't update before, and now my fears are realized. I did what you suggested, and it's not doing any better. So before I do anything else, I will plug it into my computer to see if I can retrieve all of my photos and videos. Then I will do the hard reset as you suggest. This is not directed at you, but it seems to me that if Android would do an OS that works, then we would not need so many updates. (but then I feel the same way about Windows on my computer) I'm not a genius, but those that create OS and other systems are suppose to be smart enough to foresee problems and nip them in the bud. This is disheartening, because just recently I bought an external hd so that I would be able to save my precious artwork that I create in my business, only to have it crash after only having it less than a year. I totally don't like technology at this moment in time.

Sorry for the ramble, but for now, until I get my tablet working, I'm not a happy camper.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Is it a legal update or something? hehe. Did you perform a factory reset?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Alice,

It should be a legal update... it comes from the system update that pops up any time that I am near a wifi connection. I had held off for a while on updating because quite frankly it gets to be bothersome to always update some of the stupid things that they do. Hence I wind up with some of the older apps not working. The vicious cycle is annoying. All I want is a tablet that works when I ask it to. I have not done the factory reset yet, because I have files on the tablet that I need to try to save. But sadly I cannot access any of the files. I'm probably going to lose most of my client's works. This has not been a great experience for me and my computers/tablets/or other technical related peripherals. I have been working in computer based technology for years, but never have had this kind of problem. I'm not a happy camper right now. Acer was to be the tablet I could trust... now I'm not so sure, and it cost me more than just the cost of the tablet. It may cost my livelihood. Not what I had bought into.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I just tried the hardware reset... so far i have hit the reset button twice, and the tablet still comes up to the unlock screen, then basically freezes. I don't know what I will be able to do now that would not require sending this thing to the factory... frankly I feel the need to get a new tablet and say goodbye to this tablet. I'm on the verge of just tossing it. And that is something I normally would not do. But to have a product for such a short period of time and it so be like this, well drastic measures seem to be needed. and my level of patience is running out.

Any suggestions would be helpful. ( will try to restrain myself from actually stepping on the tablet and any other types of demolition)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links