• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Frederuco
  • 1 Post By Mrhelper
  • 1 Post By Mrhelper

Thread: Will rooting fix my A500 SOD problem?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Will rooting fix my A500 SOD problem?

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum. Recently updated my A500 to ICS and I regretted that decision of mine. Been getting sleep of death issue every single day. I'm not rich so i can't afford another tablet since my A500 is screwed by the SOD. So i want to ask if i root my A500, will that fix my SOD problem? Or is there any other working solution? I don't know much about tech stuffs so please help and thanks a lot.

PS : I did factory reset and etc still not able to get rid of the SOD.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I didn't want to make another thread to ask a question. But can i flash a custom kernel without flashing a rom? I mean flash a custom kernel to stock rom. Will that cause any problem?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    First, chances are that just rooting will not fix any SOD issues. SOD's can be caused by many things. If it is an app or two that are getting into fights and causing the issue, it will not. If it is part of the system, it could, but only if you change the ROM or Kernel.

As far as flashing a custom kernel, yes, you can do this with the stock ROM. You will need to find a kernel that is compatible with the stock ROM and then root and install a custom recovery like CWM or TWRP. Flash the custom kernel and see how it works out. You will want to back up your current config with a nandroid, but CWM nandroids do not back up the kernel so you will probably have to flash back to stock to get the stock kernel back (and most likely loose root).
    jasenlee1984 likes this.
    Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munchin on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene. - Homer Jay Simpson

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jasenlee1984 View Post
    Hi guys, I'm new to this forum. Recently updated my A500 to ICS and I regretted that decision of mine. Been getting sleep of death issue every single day. I'm not rich so i can't afford another tablet since my A500 is screwed by the SOD. So i want to ask if i root my A500, will that fix my SOD problem? Or is there any other working solution? I don't know much about tech stuffs so please help and thanks a lot.

PS : I did factory reset and etc still not able to get rid of the SOD.
    As noted in the post above, merely rooting will not fix any problems. Flashing ROMs may resolve some issues, but can be risky and put your tablet in poorer condition than where you started. If the problems are caused by an app you installed, the problem would likely persist with any ROM, and in that case, only eliminating the given app would solve the problem.

There are several common causes of SOD symptoms, and it is usually a better idea to diagnose the cause before prescribing a treatment. You should first eliminate apps as a cause. You note that you tried a factory reset, which was a good test. If you reinstalled all of the old apps immediately after that though, then you may have reinstalled the problem. If you did not allow any apps to be reinstalled after the Factory data reset, and still saw the problem (without any apps installed), then you may be seeing another common cause for the problem.

One of the more common causes is apparently related to use of background sync for gmail and other email accounts, which cause the tablet to wake for sync operations, and then occasionally hang. This seems to happen more frequently for some devices than others, and may be more likely to happen with some network equipment. Most were able to prevent it by turning off sync for all email accounts (under Settings > Accounts & sync ...just turn off the master sync using the on/off toggle at the top). When background sync is turned off, you can still get email by tapping the refresh button in the email client when you open it.

Note that in some cases, the problem was caused by defective hardware, and replacing the main board was the only apparent solution in such instances.
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 02-01-2013 at 09:37 PM.
    jasenlee1984 likes this.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    @Frederuco : Thanks for the reply. I saw in a blog someone said he/she flashed ezterry's kernel and it fixed the SoD. I'm still thinking if i should give it a try.

@Mr Helper : Thanks for the reply. Yeah I tried that, I did factory reset and left it for a night. Turns out it still SoD even with nothing installed,no wifi and no email sync. I contacted the acer support and the best advice will always be factory reset, which did nothing at all. Is there any way I can downgrade back to my previous honeycomb android? its only when i upgraded to official ICS and the SoD problem came. Previously on honeycomb my a500 works like a charm with no problem at all. Currently my tablet is on official ics stock rom, i havent install any custom stuffs on it yet.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    @Mr Helper : Thanks for the reply. Yeah I tried that, I did factory reset and left it for a night. Turns out it still SoD even with nothing installed,no wifi and no email sync. I contacted the acer support and the best advice will always be factory reset, which did nothing at all. Is there any way I can downgrade back to my previous honeycomb android? its only when i upgraded to official ICS and the SoD problem came. Previously on honeycomb my a500 works like a charm with no problem at all. Currently my tablet is on official ics stock rom, i havent install any custom stuffs on it yet.
    Sorry to hear that. If you are out of warranty and can't get a replacement main board, then instead of trying to go back to HC, you may prefer to pick a popular and stable custom ROM. The road back to Honeycomb is less travelled, and is apparently longer than installing a custom ROM in most cases, because you cannot simply flash the HC ROM on a system containing an ICS bootloader. You would have to go through a number of steps to first install a compatible HC bootloader in order to use an HC ROM. There is likely much better support available on the forums if you instead decide to use a popular custom ICS ROM. If you decide to do this, I suggest that you research this carefully to find the best and most reliable ROM choice for you, and ensure that you backup your current a500 images before flashing.

Learn as much as you can about the flashing and recovery process before starting. Being well informed and prepared can help you significantly mitigate the risks, but there is still a greater risk that you may end up with a nonfunctional unit if you flash another ROM than if you don't.

My wife powers her tablet down most times after use to significantly improve battery life between charges, so even if she did have an "SOD" lemon (she does not), that would not be an issue for her. She chooses though to sacrifice a minute of booting a few times a day for the assurance that when she starts the device it will more often have a fuller charge available. I just want to point out that there are other ways to manage this problem. This seems particularly relevant if you have a low tolerance for losing the device entirely. If you are not prepared to buy a new tablet yet, then flashing a ROM may not be the best choice for you. Choosing an option of minor inconvenience may be preferable to having no working tablet at all.
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 02-02-2013 at 08:57 AM.
    arego1 likes this.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Yeah sadly I'm out of warranty Well, as you said on your previous post, flashing rom may solve some issues but may put the tablet in poorer condition than before which I do agree. Currently I'm using the Gentle Alarm + Soft Locker combo to maintain my tablet. No SoD with that combo but the power consumption is very heavy. I used to charge my tablet once every 2-3 days but with that combo I need to charge daily. I think I will just power down my tablet after I'm done using it. I guess that's the best way for me to maintain my tablet's battery life compare to Gentle Alarm + Soft Locker combo.

Thanks for your time to reply. I appreciate it

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links