• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Can no longer access Google Play store to download or update apps

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Can no longer access Google Play store to download or update apps

I've contacted Google who tells me ask Acer, I've contacted Acer who tells me my device is out of warranty so tough luck. I can factory reset it (basically erasing everything on it) and then maybe it will connect again.
    When I try to connect to the google apps store I get the message Error retrieving information from server [DF-DFERH-01].
    A friend of mine with completely different hardware tells me the same story. Can you help, I'm pretty much desperate. I need to update my apps on the tablet, there are new things I want to install, and everything is stuck because of this error and neither Google nor Acer are providing anything like useful help. I am never going to get another Acer product because of this, I am so angry.
    iphoneunlocker likes this.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    This is a known issue with Play Store app. This is a response from Google on the"android" forum.

Thanks for this valuable information. We really appreciate it, and it's because of people like you that we can improve the Google Play experience for all users.

We are currently aware of this problem with Android apps on Google Play and are trying to resolve it. This complex issue involves several areas of the Google Play Store app and is not an easy fix, so I donít have a good estimate on how long it will take us to resolve it. As soon as I have any updates, Iíll be the first to let you know.

I really appreciate you taking the time to let us know about the details of your specific case; each time we hear more details, it helps us make a better solution. I hope that despite this, you will keep using the Google Play Store app and keep sending us valuable feedback when things donít go as expected.

Iíll be sure to update you as soon as I have more information about this issue, but in the meantime, feel free to contact me if you have any other questions. Iíll be in touch!

Regards,

Roxy The Google Play Support Team
    Last edited by gary; 01-16-2013 at 07:16 PM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Well, thank you for this helpful reply - finally someone who does not tell me to reset my device to factory default and erase all my user history.
    But I am wondering how I would be able to install a new version of the app, since I cannot access the site at all. And would it be possible to revert to a previous version of the play store app in order to get access? And how would I do that? This is very frustrating!

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Re: Can no longer access Google Play store to download or update apps

I had very similar issue with my appstore, i couldn't connect using wifi, so i connected using 3g network downloaded one app and then appstore worked again.

sent from nearbricked iconia :-) :-)

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    A lot of times I don't use the app icon and go through the list because I have found there are apps available that aren't in the list. I use the browser and do a Google search for what I want. Like uglyjohny posted if you downloaded one it might work again.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    This appears to be an issue that can intermittently occur with Google server access. When it is more persistent though, it may be caused by geographic filtering in those servers... or flaws in such filtering. That may explain why downloading via 3g worked in post #4 above. A few folks have had success by masking their IP address during access by installing and using an app such as Hotspot Shield. I've not used it but it can apparently be used to hide the IP address of a device. If you can't access Play Store to obtain this app, you can probably obtain it elsewhere and then "sideload" the .apk. There are other options also. You may also want to try connecting to an access point being served by an alternate ISP or a public wifi access point. That would connect from a different IP address range, and possibly circumvent any erroneous filtering.

See this thread for a recent discussion of the issue: xda-developers - View Single Post - [Q] google play store. This happens for several brands of devices, and does not appear to be an Acer issue, but exclusively a Google issue.
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 01-17-2013 at 05:57 PM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I am not trying from a hotspot network but from my own wireless network at home. I do not have 3g access. And, I have tried it from a number of different networks around the island, and nowhere have I been able to access google play store. In fact, a friend of mine who has a different model tablet (ASUS) and a different network also has this same problem. So it is probably the case as mrhelper explained, maybe the IP range of our country is blocked (small country, only 150000 inhabitants) - then what can we do? This is really very frustrating.
    I went to the thread you provided and I see it is also someone from CuraÁao - this confirms it is our country that is blocked. So please explain how to "sideload" the hotspot shield app and from where?
    Thank you for your help - this shows that Acer themselves are lousy at customer support.

Edited to add: I found a site to download this app, it says it is free, but when I sideloaded the app and installed it (I did it using dropbox) in order to activate it it asks me for an account code. And no way to purchase - that dialog comes up when I try to purchase. Can anyone provide a clue as to how to proceed?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by margo.guda; 01-18-2013 at 05:50 AM. Reason: adding info

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    I would look for support on the developer website (http://www.anchorfree.com/hotspotshi...or-android.php) and/or contact the developer. Again, I've never used this tool, so I can't say much else about it... good or bad.

On your point about Acer, they certainly have plenty of faults, but this does not appear to be caused by them, and it seems unlikely that they can do anything about it. This appears to be a Google problem.
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 01-18-2013 at 02:16 PM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    OK thanks. I take your point. Google too is not interested in helping. I guess it means I don't have a functioning tablet in that respect anymore.
    The support from the hotspot people is less than effective, the file I installed does not work and they are just saying my tablet is incompatible. IOW, yet another one in the row that just says tough luck. Of all the people I've asked for help with this, you guys are the only ones who even halfway tried, and I am totally fed up with this thing. I think it's goodbye tablet, and back to normal laptop computers for me. Well it was fun while it lasted, but I've had it with this. I'm giving up.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Re: Can no longer access Google Play store to download or update apps

I dont know why you dont try installing apps through browser, theoretically you could unblock/unrestrickt/make it working again on your tablet. First of all you should and try to update appstore

say thanks if i helped

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads