• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: My tab won't turn on

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

My tab won't turn on

My Acer Iconia A500 won't turn on after charging. Could it be the charger isn't working properly or something more serious? I press the power button and the backlight turns white and vibrates for only a second. The screen does nothing, remains black. As luck would have it I've owned it for just over a year now so no warranties. Any suggestions? I'm new to this forum and haven't checked out too many of the other threads that have been posted. I'm having tablet withdrawl. I miss my Acer!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
    Last edited by angelfairy; 08-07-2012 at 10:01 PM.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    The described symptoms indicate that the tablet may have gone into APX mode for some reason. If this happens automatically with normal use, it may be caused hardware failure.

Start by just forcing the tablet to power down by holding the power button for at least 5 seconds. You should not feel a vibration when it powers off using this method. Then just press the power button for 3 seconds to power back on. If the same problem occurs, then you may also want to try Method 2 of: [HOW TO] Perform A Factory Reset.

Follow the instructions carefully. It can take few tries to get it right.

If that does not work, you may have some corruption in one or more partitions preventing normal recovery, and this may be caused by a hardware fault. In that case, there are ways to attempt repair/replacement of data on affected partitions using a PC and the USB cable supplied with the tablet. A number of such recovery methods are discussed on this site and at xda-developers.com.

If the easier resets noted above in the second paragraph don't work though, then it seems possible that hardware has failed, and that no soft recovery method will work. Unless you got into this while trying to install a custom ROM, or by some unfortunate mistake while using root privilege, then it seems more likely to have been caused by a hardware problem than a software problem.
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 08-07-2012 at 04:26 PM.
    bilderberg likes this.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thank you Mrhelper. I will take your advice and see what I can do. I forgot to mention I did a reset, just by pressing in the reset button on the side of the tablet. I'm not tech savvy in the least but will do my best to try to figure out what I can with your great advice. Thanks a million for getting back to me so quickly!!!

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hello Mrhelper, well I had a chance to try Method 2, and to no avail. I'll look into the other advice you have given me. If for some reason I can't get it back from the dead do you know of a good site to buy new tablets for the least money? I've been looking at a lot of places myself but thought I'd ask your opinion. Thanks for all your help!

DOA
    Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    angelfairy... sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I had that exact issue. Its a harware failure like Mrhelper suggested. I had to RMA mine. If its not a refurb device, you can send it to Acer for repair. Though be prepared... it will probably cost you atleast a Benjamin.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    All I needed was to buy a new charger for my tablet and now it WORKS!!! I saw chargers for my tablet at Walmart on Clearance for only $12.00!!! I explained to the clerk in the electronics department and he plugged it in for me right there so I wouldn't have to buy the charger if that wasn't the problem. When I saw the tablet starting up I, needless to say, was ecstatic! I kept having a nagging feeling that before I went out and bought a new tablet that I should try to get a new charger or new battery and try to see if that might be the problem. I am not tech savvy so I wasn't sure what to do other than a soft and hard reset, which I did... I was so happy when my tablet booted up and all my pictures, videos, etc. were still on my device. Those would have been irreplaceable, but by some miracle they were there. After resetting my tablet a few times, especially the hard reset where you press and hold all the buttons at one time, I opened up my unit and undid the battery and plugged it back in. I don't know if this will help anyone else but it's the cheapest and easiest fix and with mine I didn't lose any data, which was great--as you can imagine. I had gone to best buy and a place called batteries plus to see if they had any chargers for the Acer butthey didn't. I was told I would need to go through the manufacturer for one. They wanted $29.00 and up online. The average price for the battery was about $90, but on one site I found it for half of that. I still can't believe it works and that was a couple of weeks ago....Thank you for your post DOA, I appreciate that you answered me!!
    Last edited by angelfairy; 08-19-2012 at 08:24 AM. Reason: To fix misspelling and add more information.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    All I needed was to buy a new charger for my tablet and now it WORKS!!! I saw chargers for my tablet at Walmart on Clearance for only $12.00!!! I explained to the clerk in the electronics department and he plugged it in for me right there so I wouldn't have to buy the charger if that wasn't the problem. When I saw the tablet starting up I, needless to say, was ecstatic! I kept having a nagging feeling that before I went out and bought a new tablet that I should try to get a new charger or new battery and try to see if that might be the problem. I am not tech savvy so I wasn't sure what to do other than a soft and hard reset, which I did... I was so happy when my tablet booted up and all my pictures, videos, etc. were still on my device. Those would have been irreplaceable, but by some miracle they were there. After resetting my tablet a few times, especially the hard reset where you press and hold all the buttons at one time, I opened up my unit and undid the battery and plugged it back in. I don't know if this will help anyone else but it's the cheapest and easiest fix and with mine I didn't lose any data, which was great--as you can imagine. I had gone to best buy and a place called batteries plus to see if they had any chargers for the Acer butthey didn't. I was told I would need to go through the manufacturer for one. They wanted $29.00 and up online. The average price for the battery was about $90, but on one site I found it for half of that. I still can't believe it works and that was a couple of weeks ago....Thank you for your post, I appreciate that you answered me!!
    Mrhelper likes this.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    My wife's A500 wouldn't power up as well. Just bearly still in warranty and ACER replaced the mainboard. Came back with ICS loaded and works like a new one.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Well I was also facing same problem, then my friend recommended me to check its battery or to replace and he was correct there was problem with my tablet's battery. After replacing battery, it all went well. I will recommend you the same thing, simply change it's battery.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I am having similar problems, although mine actually comes on, the only thing that happens is that the ACER screen comes up but that's it. Nothing else happens which is quite frustrating.

I've tried to do a reset, and turn it off and on constantly. Don't know what else could be wrong with it.
    Any idea?

Ads