• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Angry Dead A500 with lit power button but dead otherwise!

We have a 3 month old A500 tablet that suddenly will not boot up or show any signs of life other tha a lit power button when the charger is plugged in. Any ideas, or does this just need to go back to Accer?

Regards,
    ejhoove

2. # ADS
    Ads

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    You can try the hardware reset if you have not already. Use a paper clip to press the button inside the pinhole, lower right corner on the edge just below the USB port.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Unhappy No Go

No effect, and I would think it would at least need to be on to make a difference, I does not even power up. :^(
    Regards,
    ejhoove

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ejhoove View Post
    No effect, and I would think it would at least need to be on to make a difference, I does not even power up. :^(
    Regards,
    ejhoove
    The reset does tend to work only when the device is powered on, but you are having a somewhat unique problem, and there's not enough time to write every detail in every post. I was thinking that the device may have gotten hung on the power down, or in a suspended state, for which a hardware reset may have worked.

If you've held the power button down for over 5 seconds without ever feeling the vibration, then it seems that there is a power problem, or possibly a damaged power switch. I have read that the power switch is easily damaged on these devices.

One more thing. If the light on the power button stays amber and never turns white after a reasonable amount of charge time (8 hours should be more than plenty, and should be less), then that suggests a possible total battery failure, and may cause the symptom you describe.
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 06-29-2012 at 12:32 PM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The power button lights white when charger is plugged in.
    Regards,
    Jim

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ejhoove View Post
    The power button lights white when charger is plugged in.
    Regards,
    Jim
    It seems that the battery is fully charged then, and pressing the power button for 5 seconds is apparently having no effect. I would probably try one more test -- i.e., press and hold the power button for at least 30 seconds. If you are stuck in APX mode, and it seems that you may be, then it is my understanding that you just have to hold the power button long enough until the screen responds.

If that does not work, and you have warranty available, it makes sense to use it at this point.
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 06-30-2012 at 06:06 PM. Reason: improve clarity

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I would try to get it in APX Mode. When Tab is off use a needle and keep the reset button pressed, press power button for 3 seconds, then it must lit up white. The screen stays dead in APX mode. Connect it to your pc. It should be recognized as"APX" in removable devices. When this happens, there is still a chance to recover the tab.

For it to work, you must have the acer drivers for the tab installed.

Gesendet von meinem Iconia A501 mit Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by VelosCohagen; 06-30-2012 at 03:05 PM.
    Acer Iconia Tab A501 64GB
    FW: Tegraowners JB MR2 ROM v4 (Android 4.3.1)
    Recovery: thor touch recovery 1.8.1
    Bootloader: Skrilax_CZ's bootloader V9

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Good point. It does sound like the device may already be stuck in APX mode.

Let's be careful with this though. If the device is under warranty, messing around in APX mode by making changes can void that. If you have warranty support, and you cannot get out of this without changing firmware, then your best option seems to be using the warranty to get it running again (unless you were already planning to install an alternate ROM or bootloader).

If you can clear this without making changes, then that seems to be a reasonable solution. I'm not certain of whether that is what VelosCohagen is suggesting though.
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 06-30-2012 at 06:08 PM. Reason: clarify

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I Have now having this problem with my A501. Have been working without problems for a year. I was using it yesterday and battery got low. By time i got home, the tablet had turn off. I plugged it in and tablet started to charge. Power button was orange. Woke up this morning and power button was white. But now it won't Turn on. There is no light in the power button unless the charger is plugged in.
    PLEASE HELP!!

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Many owners never power their tablet down entirely. Is it possible that you just need to power the tablet back up. To power on an Iconia tablet, press and hold the power button for at least 3 seconds. The tablet will then buzz within 5 seconds of pressing the button as part of the boot process. I apologize if this is an oversimplification of the problem you are seeing, but description you've provided suggests that this may be what you have encountered.

Ads