• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: A500 Screen will not rotate

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

A500 Screen will not rotate

I upgraded to ICS the first week of May. 6 weeks later my display will not rotate. The lock switch is in the correct unlock position.
    The pinhole reset will not clear the problem. I have not installed any new apps in the last few weeks.
    I spoke to Acer Tech support and they had no idea what to do. They claimed in was an Android O/S issue. It's their tablet that they put android on so if it is not compatible with the new Android O/S , one might think they own the problem to resolve. If a laptop will not run windows 7 it is not for Microsoft to run with the problem but the hardware vendor to work with M-Soft to find a solution.
    I may do a factory reset when a get time to see if that solves the issue.
    Because of the way I use my tablet it's basically useless without rotation.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    178 times
    Place the rotation lock on, reboot the tab and wait for it to go through the process. Unlock the rotation and check again to see if it works.

-end of line-
    Welcome To AcerTabletForum
    Please feel free to PM me if you need any help

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by normu View Post
    I upgraded to ICS the first week of May. 6 weeks later my display will not rotate. The lock switch is in the correct unlock position.
    The pinhole reset will not clear the problem. I have not installed any new apps in the last few weeks.
    If Rob's suggestion above does not work, then you may have encountered the somewhat common a500 ICS motion sensor (InvenSense mpu3050) initialization problem. You can verify this by installing aLogcat from the Play Store, running it, and looking for the MLUpdateData error (code 26) messages that print in the system log at a rate of 20 times per second. You will only see these messages with the screen rotation lock switch set to the left position (unlocked). While the messages are streaming into the log, there can be a slight lag effect in GUI response, and possibly other performance impacts. Setting the switch to the locked position appears to reduce the performance impact.

If you see the "error code 26" messages, and you cannot resolve this with the hardware reset (pinhole switch), then there is likely no other solution to this besides a change in the boot software, which means at least installing a HC bootloader. I have not heard of any instance where the Factory data reset has resolved this for anyone, and the likely reason is that the problem has nothing to do with user data.

This is a boot timing problem that was introduced with ICS. The ICS kernel boot sequence prior to MPU init is apparently a little faster than that of Honeycomb. This results in a race condition where the MPU powerup apparently lags the init sequence just enough to cause the first MPU access attempt by the kernel to be ignored by the chip as can be observed in the log as an acknowledgement failure of the 2-wire bus (i2c). This prevents all subsequent attempts to access the MPU.

This is an example of the MPU init failure in the kernel log:

<6>[ 2.609434] i2c i2c-0: Installing Compass irq using 301
    <4>[ 2.609706] i2c i2c-0: mpu3050: No Pressure Present
    <4>[ 2.609914] tegra-i2c tegra-i2c.0: I2c error status 0x00000008
    <4>[ 2.610004] tegra-i2c tegra-i2c.0: no acknowledge from address 0x68
    <4>[ 2.610163] tegra-i2c tegra-i2c.0: Packet status 0x00010009
    <3>[ 2.611283] mldl_cfg:/home/pandora/pandora_build_root/main_rom/android/PicassoV041_A500_mdrr/kernel/drivers/misc/mpu3050/inv_330/mldl_cfg.c|MLDLPowerMgmtMPU|579 returning 135
    <3>[ 2.611520] mldl_cfg:/home/pandora/pandora_build_root/main_rom/android/PicassoV041_A500_mdrr/kernel/drivers/misc/mpu3050/inv_330/mldl_cfg.c|mpu3050_open|1225 returning 135

You can see that the first error is returned from the 2-wire bus at 2.609914 seconds into the boot.

I suspect that none of your motion sensors are working at all if you see the error code 26's. You can verify this by installing Advanced Tools from the Play Store and observing various sensor functions.

I spoke to Acer Tech support and they had no idea what to do. They claimed in was an Android O/S issue. It's their tablet that they put android on so if it is not compatible with the new Android O/S , one might think they own the problem to resolve. If a laptop will not run windows 7 it is not for Microsoft to run with the problem but the hardware vendor to work with M-Soft to find a solution.
    One thing they can do is have you return the device for warranty repair. It actually sounds encouraging if the Acer support call centers are really starting to acknowledge that the problem exists. I had no such luck with my calls, nor did numerous other people who tried to report this. The tech you spoke with may not have been clear, but Acer will likely fix the problem if they are truly aware of it. It occurs on both a500 and a200 devices which are nearly identical, so I find it hard to believe that they are not aware of this problem internally. Acer is the responsible vendor for the stock ICS build installed on the a500. They customize it especially for the device, test it, and then deliver it directly to the customer. Tech support call centers typically have limited information available though about what the development groups are doing, so can rarely tell you when something will be fixed.

I may do a factory reset when a get time to see if that solves the issue.
    Because of the way I use my tablet it's basically useless without rotation.
    Factory reset is not likely to resolve the MPU init problem, but it can't hurt. If you have warranty time remaining, I suggest you send it in for repair. If the problem happens with every boot on your system, then Acer will be able to reproduce it, and will likely send a replacement which will probably be much less likely to have the problem.

This post has some important information about the problem, including a new workaround for users of custom ROMs: Auto-Rotate not working
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 06-23-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I had the screen rotation problem on my A500 until I read something about removing task killers to resolve it. I removed the one I had installed and now rotation works fine.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Smile May have solved rotation issue

To to let others know what happened, in case it helps them.
    I read the replies to my original posts and was getting ready to do a factory reset. I was backing up my tablet & the names of the apps I have installed. I used an application called astro file manager on the tablet to find where I had put some images. Well Astro FM would not run, it crashed ever time I tried to run it. I had not tried to run it since the ICS upgrade. I did a force stop on AFM so something was in memory, then uninstalled it.
    For 2 weeks my tablet would not rotate when I booted it up. Even pinhole resets would fix the rotation.
    Since I uninstalled Astro FM Ever time I have booted up the tablet rotation works fine. It has only been about 3 days of working properly but I will watch and see if it stays ok.
    Mrhelper likes this.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by normu View Post
    To to let others know what happened, in case it helps them.
    I read the replies to my original posts and was getting ready to do a factory reset. I was backing up my tablet & the names of the apps I have installed. I used an application called astro file manager on the tablet to find where I had put some images. Well Astro FM would not run, it crashed ever time I tried to run it. I had not tried to run it since the ICS upgrade. I did a force stop on AFM so something was in memory, then uninstalled it.
    For 2 weeks my tablet would not rotate when I booted it up. Even pinhole resets would fix the rotation.
    Since I uninstalled Astro FM Ever time I have booted up the tablet rotation works fine. It has only been about 3 days of working properly but I will watch and see if it stays ok.
    I have not yet heard of Astro File Manager being a cause for the screen rotation problem. I'm curious if the problem would come back if you reinstalled a fresh copy. Numerous people apparently use that app and you are the first I've seen find some connection with it like this one. I wonder if there was a compatibility issue hanging around in the data for the app that just needed to be cleared.

I'm glad to see you have your tablet back in working condition. Note that this is apparently yet another cause for a similar screen rotation symptom, and not the same underlying problem that I described in my post above. I was really expecting that to be the problem with your device also, and this was certainly a surprise.

If you like Astro File Manager, you may be able to reinstall it again without causing the same problem. If you install and the problem does come back, then a Factory data reset may still be of use for you. It has improved the function of various tablets in sometimes subtle ways. I would sure like to have seen your system log when you were seeing this problem, just to see what was going on there, if anything.

Thanks for the update. If the problem comes back, please post back here.
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 07-03-2012 at 11:32 PM. Reason: typo

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    My post above on how I solved my rotation problem was posted on Jun 25. Just to add an update, it is now July 3rd and my tablet is still rotating properly. I am sure the notes on boot loaders has merit but nasty apps that aren't working correctly under ICS may cause rotation issues or other problems

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I use Astro File Manager and have no problem with rotation with ICS.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I am not surprised. My Astro was installed prior to the ICS upgrade and may well be some unique configuration of my tablet. I am reasonably sure that if I installed a clean new version of Astro now it would not cause a problem. I think a point to keep in mind is that any app can cause issues like inability of the tablet to rotate and that uninstalling them my solve the issue.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I don't know about anyone else, but this problem REALLY pisses me off. I wasn't too worried at first because I believed it was only temporary until acer offered up a fix.
    It's been months guys! Acer needs to fix what THEY broke!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links