• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Screen rotation not working

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Screen rotation not working

There may be other threads about this but I can't find any.

My A500 has just stopped rotating the screen when I turn the unit. I have tried switching the rotation lock switch on and off repeatedly but no success.

Any ideas?

2. # ADS
    Ads

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    You may be encountering the MPU initialization problem.

If you rotate the tablet, and the screen does not follow. Also, if the rotation lock switch next to the volume control does enable rotation when slid to the left, install aLogcat from GooglePlay Run aLogcat when you are seeing symptoms. You may want to run it at least once after a hardware resest (using the pinhole button) to see first see what "normal" log output looks like.

When you see symptoms of the problem, run aLogcat, and look for messages containing: MLUpdateData error (code 26)

If you see that, then you may want to read this post: Possible Relief for Several A500 ICS Related Symptoms/Problems - Android Forums

Scroll down to the section titled: MOTION SENSOR INITIALIZATION PROBLEM

Please post your observations here. Thanks.
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 05-14-2012 at 08:35 AM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I had the same issue 2 weeks ago. Acer said to do a reset, which I couldnt do at the time. I was away for a week (kids still using tab while I was away) and i come back to it working perfectly fine. Not sure what happened to fix it.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrhelper View Post
    You may be encountering the MPU initialization problem.

If you rotate the tablet, and the screen does not follow. Also, if the rotation lock switch next to the volume control does enable rotation when slid to the left, install aLogcat from GooglePlay Run aLogcat when you are seeing symptoms. You may want to run it at least once after a hardware resest (using the pinhole button) to see first see what "normal" log output looks like.

When you see symptoms of the problem, run aLogcat, and look for messages containing: MLUpdateData error (code 26)

If you see that, then you may want to read this post: Possible Relief for Several A500 ICS Related Symptoms/Problems - Android Forums

Scroll down to the section titled: MOTION SENSOR INITIALIZATION PROBLEM

Please post your observations here. Thanks.
    Many thanks for that: I am away in Europe for five weeks watching the Euro disintegrate, need the tablet apps and can put up with the lack of rotation, so I will probably wait until my return before potentially screwing it up. I will let you know!

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Just a quick tip then... the hardware reset using the pinhole is nearly equivalent to just doing a power down/up cycle -- i.e., it's similar to powering down by holding the button for 2 seconds, and then selecting OK to power down, then powering back up by holding the power button for 3-4 seconds. Both reboot the tablet OS. For some reason, the pinhole reset reboot catches the MPU at a better time than does the power up boot, and initializes properly, where just powering up sometimes does not. The pinhole reset will not remove any data, or damage any apps, so you can try that to clear the auto rotate symptoms without any apparent risk... at least no greater risk than from powering down/up. This is the only reliable way I've found to clear this condition, and it stays clear until you power down/up again.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I've tried the pinhole reset several times, but no change to the locked rotation, unfortunately.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    I've heard of that happening with one of the rooted builds of the Acer ICS leak. You may also have a different problem. Installing aLogcat will not harm the system, and will prove if you are seeing the MLUpdateData error (code 26) issue or not.

I suppose you could have a bad screen rotation lock switch. The logs will show that also.

When the switch is set to lock (slid right), you should see these messages:
    V/Sensors ( 142): handle : 14 en: 0 mEnabled:00004000
    V/Sensors ( 142): sensor state change what=14
    V/Sensors ( 142): enabled_sensors: 0 dmp_started: 1
    V/Sensors ( 142): Stopping DMP
    I/ ( 142): mpu3050_suspend: suspending sensors to 0000
    I/ ( 142): mpu3050_suspend: Will resume next to 0070

When the switch is set to unlock (slid left), you should see these messages:
    V/Sensors ( 142): handle : 14 en: 1 mEnabled:00000000
    V/Sensors ( 142): sensor state change what=14
    V/Sensors ( 142): enabled_sensors: 16384 dmp_started: 0
    V/Sensors ( 142): Starting DMP
    I/ ( 142): mpu3050_resume: Resuming to 0070
    V/Sensors ( 142): set fifo rate: 39 200000000
    I/MPL-ml ( 142): Actual ODR: 25 Hz
    V/Sensors ( 142): set fifo rate: 13 66667000
    I/MPL-ml ( 142): Actual ODR: 25 Hz
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 05-14-2012 at 11:12 PM. Reason: use default aLogcat settings

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Just fixed my Acer a500. Screen rotate wasn't working even after I sent it in so I backed up what I needed and did a factory reset. Didn't work. Tried several times. Still no luck. My last idea was to do factory reset with the auto rotate lock engaged.( located just to the right of the volume buttons) When it came back on, I disengaged the auto rotate lock and viola. Workin

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloan View Post
    Just fixed my Acer a500. Screen rotate wasn't working even after I sent it in so I backed up what I needed and did a factory reset. Didn't work. Tried several times. Still no luck. My last idea was to do factory reset with the auto rotate lock engaged.( located just to the right of the volume buttons) When it came back on, I disengaged the auto rotate lock and viola. Workin
    Did Acer say what they had done? I can't believe they just sent it back to you as was. I sent mine away last week and await without bated breath.....

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wol View Post
    Did Acer say what they had done? I can't believe they just sent it back to you as was. I sent mine away last week and await without bated breath.....
    Thing is I don't really care about factory reset anymore. I'm just glad I can download all my apps again.

Ads