• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Acer Iconia issues with netflix and wifi

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Acer Iconia issues with netflix and wifi

I've done a modest amount of research to try and fix this, but I haven't encountered anyone with the same problem as me yet.

When I try to use the netflix app on my tablet (acer iconia 500), it works for about 20 seconds and then the wifi on my device stops working. It's not outright disabled, and my router still shows up, but the tablet will no longer connect (or even TRY to connect). Reinstalling the app hasn't fixed the problem, restarting wifi on the tablet didn't help, rebooting the tablet did no good. The only effective thing has been to unplug and replug my wireless router, and even then the problem just happens again as soon as I open up netflix.

My tablet is up to date with its software and has had no wifi problems until now. Does anyone have any insight or ideas on how to make this work? Is this more likely a problem on the tablet, or on the computer/router?

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Just try resetting the router and re configuring it. Also when you re install the app, make sure that when you go to settings/back up & reset, automatic restore is not checked.
    Welcome To AcerTabletForum
    Please feel free to PM me if you need any help

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    When you say reconfigure the router, what settings am I changing? I don't do this very often, so it'd help to get more specific instructions.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    AFAICT, this may be a QoS setting, but sometimes these issues can also be resolved by doing a full reset to factory defaults on the router, and then set up the router as usual (firewall, etc.), if a simple reboot cannot cure.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    If you cannot reconnect without restarting your router (wifi access point), then the problem is likely in your router. A problem like that is not likely a settings issue, it is more likely a bug in the router firmware. If you are not sure how to configure it at this point, don't worry about that yet. Hold off on that, and run some tests first (see below) to narrow this down a little further. Also, post your router brand/model here and other details about your setup (suggestions below).

It seems unlikely to be merely a router setting because that alone would not lock you out of the router after you had already been connected and streaming. That would not prevent you from reconnecting wifi until a router restart, as you mentioned is happening. A wifi router firmware bug would cause that.

I would start by running a speed test on your internet connection. I suggest this first mostly because it is so easy. Do this from your PC first, and then run a test from your tablet. Then try Netflix on your tablet, and repeat the speed test on your PC immediately after your tablet wifi "hangs." Run the speed test again on the PC before restarting the router to fix your wifi. If the PC uses wifi, and still tests at full speed, then you have an odd problem indeed, but again, it is probably in the router if booting your a500 does not allow wifi reconnect, but restarting the router does.

For the PC, try the test at speakeasy.net, or if your ISP provides one , use that . Pick a test server that is geographically close to you. For HD streaming to a TV media player or Bluray device, you typically need at least 5-7Mb/s down. (You did not say whether or not you use HD on a media player. ) Your "up" across multiple tests should be fairly consistent, and not vary significantly. If it varies, you could be encountering packet loss on transmit. Don't get stuck on that now unless you see swings greater than 50% between tests. When testing network performance, reduce all other traffic on your network by not using other devices.

After testing your speed on the PC, install the Speedtest app from Google Play (Market). The app works with speedtest.net. You should see roughly similar results, possibly a little slower on your tablet, depending on how your PC is connected, how new, etc. If your tablet is more than 50% slower though, then you probably have a problem with it. If you are running ICS, see this post: Possible Relief for Several A500 ICS Related Symptoms/Problems - Android Forums.

The more important test: Before or after speed testing your internet, try your a500 on a different brand of router, and preferably on a completely separate network setup -- e.g., ask a friend if you can use their internet service and wifi to test. If it works on a different brand or even model of wifi access point/router, don't pitch your router until you have verified that you have the latest firmware installed on it. For example, until the last firmware release for the DIR-655, the router software had a severely undersized NATconnection table, and after you browsed for a few seconds, you could easily overwhelm it and all subsequent connections would be rejected until you restarted the router, or waited for most of the connections to time out. That problem was a real pain, and hard to find. What you describe could occur if you were running that router on the old firmware.

You did not mention whether or not Netflix was working for you on your other devices, or whether or not there were symptoms of wifi trouble on your PC, Wii, PS3, TV, etc. If you have not tested much or any of that when you were having problems, you might want to. That may shed light on the problem.

If this doesn't help, try providing more information about your setup in the post -- e.g., whether you're running ICS or Honeycomb on your a500, rooted or stock, your wifi router brand/model, your ISP, level of service -- e.g. 3Mb/s DSL, 20Mb/s broadband, etc. It may also be easier for folks on the forum to help you if you provide other information such as results from speed tests, simultaneous status of other wifi devices, PCs, media players, VOIP phone service, etc.

This could also be caused by a problem in the ISP side, so some testing of the internet connection may be useful. For example, if your broadband ISP has overloaded nodes in your area, you could experience intermittent packet loss, and other inconvenient performance problems which could trigger bugs or weaknesses in your router. If there are problems like that in your area, then doing a hardware reset of your cable modem when you are having problems can cause the CMTS and modem to select a different channel with less interference, and make a huge difference in performance.

It's possible that something in your tablet could be uniquely triggering this, as opposed to other devices on your wifi network, but on a good router and ISP that should not be able to happen.

Hopefully you'll pin this down to your router and solve the problem easily, or to your ISP, and solve it painfully... you know, "...we'll have someone out to your house on Wednesday between 10:35 and next Tuesday..."
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 05-06-2012 at 05:00 PM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm about to run the speed tests in a moment, but your reply got in before I submitted a new post.

I just used my phone as a wifi hotspot to try connecting that way, and it worked. So my phone allows me to connect to the internet through Netflix, confirming that this is probably a problem in the router, not the tablet itself.

I have also tried connecting with my android phone to the router while it is hanging, and it didn't work. I was going to try using a Nintendo 3DS to test a third connection (to the router), but didn't quite get to it.

I'll go ahead and post results of the speed test once those are finished, but in the meantime some likely fixes for a router problem would be good too. I don't know if the router hangs are blocking all wireless internet traffic, so I'll try to test that too (as my PC is plugged into the router directly). If the problem is something else then I'm outta luck because I live in a dorm, but I really think this will end up being a router problem as opposed to an internet glitch/tablet problem.

The router is a basic Ativa white router.
    Last edited by alphawave7; 05-06-2012 at 05:19 PM. Reason: language

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    Also..make certain you have the latest firmware on that unit:
    Ativa | Support > Networking
    Can other dormies stream Netflix using the school's network (are we certain throttling isn't occurring?).

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Results of speed test:
    Test 1- Router working fine, no hanging, while watching a streaming HD video on youtube
    Download speed- 17.23 Mbps
    Upload speed- 19.41 Mbps

Test 2- Router hanging after using netflix app on tablet, while streaming a different HD video on youtube
    Download speed- 10.64 Mbps
    Upload speed- 11.72 Mbps

about to do the test on the tablet

edit: yeah everyone else can use netflix just fine, and I updated the firmware last night.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Okay using the speed test app provided by ookla on the android market, the test fails because the same thing happens. Router hangs, test won't work, tablet can't connect.

Also I retested the speed test on the PC when the router is hanging, and it came up with 20.06 Mbps download vs 23.77 Mbps upload, so I don't think those results mean anything anymore. Should I retry the tablet speed test through my phone's wifi?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    Hmmm..I smell a new router in your future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links