• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Sleep of Death

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I have my old D-Link router (the DI-524) up and running as an access point on my network now with an internet connection and the a500 is now connected to that wireless network as opposed to the Linksys E4200. Up and running for almost 2 hours, so far no sleep of death.

I have noticed with this connection, that when I wake the tablet, it briefly shows "no internet connection", then shows the network name (for this AP "subdpcure"). When the tablet is connected to the E4200, I never see the "no internet connection" -- it always shows it is already connected to the network ("dpcure" for the Linksys).

Only other noticeable difference so far is the speed, obviously, since the DI-524 is a 802.11g router. The E4200 is 802.11n.

Thanks for the list Mrhelper. That's my next plan if I get another crash/SOD on this AP. Question, how to you re-enable an app? Last night I disabled SocialJogger (I recognized it several times in the log toward the end and I never use it). But now, in the ALL tab, it has vanished. Just curious. I hardly ever use any of those apps anyway. Would be nice to know though just in case.

I have another log from last night if you want to look at it too. When I pulled the first log and sent it to my PC to upload, I went ahead and restarted the Terminal Emulator, and I did get another crash about an hour later. Initially, I didn't post it because I had not made any config changes on the tablet, so I didn't think there would be a benefit in troubleshooting. But today I took a closer look and it seems there are some different entries that might lead to some answers.

Log file attached. Again, this log was when the E4200 was still the AP, immediately after starting back up from the crash that occurred in my previous log file.

If/when I get a crash or SOD on this new AP, I will post that log. Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dpcure View Post
    . Question, how to you re-enable an app? Last night I disabled SocialJogger (I recognized it several times in the log toward the end and I never use it). But now, in the ALL tab, it has vanished. Just curious. I hardly ever use any of those apps anyway. Would be nice to know though just in case.
    When disabled, apps in the "all" tab sort down to the bottom of the list. Scroll down and you should find it.

I'll grab the latest log and take a look when I get some time. I was hoping for a few more data points on this... thanks.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The A500 did better on the DI-524, but still ended up going into a deep sleep and not returning from sleep when I attempted to wake it at 4:14am.

Log file from this attempt is attached. Due to file size, I had to split the log into 2 parts (a is the first half, b is the second half leading up to the crash).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dpcure View Post
    The A500 did better on the DI-524, but still ended up going into a deep sleep and not returning from sleep when I attempted to wake it at 4:14am.

Log file from this attempt is attached. Due to file size, I had to split the log into 2 parts (a is the first half, b is the second half leading up to the crash).
    I finally took some time to look at your most recent logs. The network appeared less stable with the DI-524, and the tablet was apparently trying to associate with your other router at times, even as late as 1:12am (SSID=dpcure). Was the other router powered off? The tablet appeared to take longer when trying to authenticate and the connection apparently failed much more frequently. I wonder if that's one reason that it took longer to hang... maybe the network has to quiesce somewhat before the condition occurs.

There were again a handful of process crashes before the hang. The hang occurred over 2 hours before you looked this time. Have you tried pinging the tablet when it is hung like this, just to see if the network will respond? Does your newer router/AP show active wireless connection status of clients, with rcv'd power levels? What do the router/AP logs look like around the time that the hang occurs? I assume your router/AP logs show wireless association attempts/successes/failures?

Did you try disabling any of the Acer builtins just to see if that helped? I know... too many questions, not enough answers.
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 06-06-2012 at 04:57 PM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I am the OP (and apparently the originator of the term SOD lol), and found that even completely disabling wifi made no difference. I suspect I'm out of warranty at this point, I may give Acer the chance to repair mine, but if they attempt to charge me I'll just tell them to keep it and shove it up a bodily orifice and purchase another brand.

Acer, if you are reading this, you have one chance with me. Fix my problem for free, or I'll NEVER buy another Acer product, ever. Your call.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, for a time I did not get SOD if all email was not synced and location services were off and auto bright turned off. So I added a couple of apps. Guess what happened? I even tried turning off wifi and it still slipped into a coma.
    Mrhelper, thanks for all of your suggestions and work you have put into trying to solve the problem. If I find time I may give disabling some of the apps a try. From the jump I had deduced that, since Honeycomb performed without issue, the problem was with the ICS image from Acer being not exactly compatible with the A500. I guess they just could not be bothered to really test on a machine that is a year old. I just wish I could get Honeycomb back at this point. I'm going to contact Acer tomorrow and, like kmoze2001, give them another chance to make it right. My warranty ran out yesterday, but since this is a problem that I'm already in process with them for, I should be able to get them to take the unit back again. If not, you will hear about it here.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by monkey_claw View Post
    Well, for a time I did not get SOD if all email was not synced and location services were off and auto bright turned off. So I added a couple of apps. Guess what happened? I even tried turning off wifi and it still slipped into a coma.
    Mrhelper, thanks for all of your suggestions and work you have put into trying to solve the problem. If I find time I may give disabling some of the apps a try. From the jump I had deduced that, since Honeycomb performed without issue, the problem was with the ICS image from Acer being not exactly compatible with the A500. I guess they just could not be bothered to really test on a machine that is a year old. I just wish I could get Honeycomb back at this point. I'm going to contact Acer tomorrow and, like kmoze2001, give them another chance to make it right. My warranty ran out yesterday, but since this is a problem that I'm already in process with them for, I should be able to get them to take the unit back again. If not, you will hear about it here.
    Well you've certainly done more than you're share to diagnose the problem on your device. Regardless of whether or not the problem is being triggered by something that was delivered in ICS, you really appear to have a lemon now. I am now convinced that it is caused by some part of the Acer ICS package based on the meticulous testing that went on in this thread. I am also cognizant of the apparent fact that many others do not see this, so slight differences in hardware seem to be a factor.

I would try very hard to convince them to send you a replacement at this point, and hopefully they will do that based on the history of your case. That may solve the problem for you. Just so you understand where I am coming from on this, I also have firsthand experience with a problem that apparently only a small percentage of owners have seen. My tablet occasionally fails to initialize the motion sensor device, and a simple hardware reset (pinhole) clears the problem every time. Now that I've stopped trying to make it happen to diagnose it, I see it only about every 5th power up. (I still check for it every boot.) It only happens from a cold power up, and never while sleeping or resetting (pinhole). It's apparently caused by a race condition at boot time, and it only started after I updated to ICS. A lot of tablets apparently never exhibit this behavior, but I have heard from several owners who do see it. The problem is not nearly as bad as what you've been seeing though, because I can easily just work around it so I hardly encounter it.
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 06-06-2012 at 11:05 PM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks Mrhelper for checking out those logs and giving some guidance.

I thought about doing some more troubleshooting. But as wide spread as this problem seems to be from reading online, I don't think even the most inconvenient workaround would be 100% effective.

I decided to root (for the first time ever) and double back to a rooted version of Honeycomb. As a glutton for punishment, I went ahead and let it do the OTA update to ICS one last time, to break the root and see if perhaps the issues with ICS were results of the update process, maybe not the update itself.

If I continue to have the crashing during sleep, I will either double back again to a rooted, but stable 3.2.1, and move on .... or take Best Buy's Trade In offer of $130ish and find a new device. I was the earliest of adopters, so my warranty is gone.

I do think we all made the best effort here to figure out what's wrong, and I do tend to believe as Mrhelper mentioned that differences in hardware appear to be a factor, most likely the wifi I would say (I was a victim of the "bad" hardware version of the Evo 4G, forced to charge my phone every couple of hours, so get that -- ha!)

I am normally a lurker on these and other boards. This was my first time to post and contribute. The spirit of the thread was good, so all isn't lost.

If by some chance my double backing to Honeycomb and redoing the OTA update to ICS works I will immediately post instructions. Frankly, my confidence is very low.
    Mrhelper likes this.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Iconia A500 SOD fix (at least for me)

I've been dealing with SOD (Sleep Of Death) problem since official OTA ICS update. On HC everything (except calendar) was fine, but after official ICS update I was having SOD almost every sleep longer then few minutes.

Tried WiFi/sync tricks etc.

What helped ? Well..

1. hardware reset (Vol+ / Pwr / RotateLock)
    2. factory reset (from Settings Menu)
    3. full update via sd card (Vol- / Pwr)

OFFICIAL ROM: 7.014.16 - 041.213.01 - COM_GEN1 (ICS)
    (Acer_A500_7.014.16_041.213.01_COM_GEN1_1336732099 520_45282ff4.zip)

and once again:
    4. hardware reset (Vol+ / Pwr / RotateLock)
    5. factory reset (from Settings Menu)

...I know that hardware & facory reset are pretty much the same, but...It helped...

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve9742 View Post
    I have had the "Sleep of Death" issue since I upgraded to ICS on my A200 shortly after I purchased it in late March. It has been sent to Acer service twice. It was returned both times stating that the tablet functioned normally and passed all diagnostic tests. It still slipped into a coma shortly after entering the sleep mode upon its return. I had taken the tablet on an extended trip and noticed that while traveling in the sleep mode, the tablet would function normally, waking immediately at the press of the power button. Thinking the only difference between home and traveling was the lack of wifi. Once home, I had the tablet forget my home network before entering the sleep mode. I reconnect to my wifi router when I go on-line. I have gone some 70+ hours now without having to reboot my tablet. Simply turning wifi off did not work. The tablet has to forget my home wifi router for it to stay alive in the sleep mode. I don't know if this will work for anyone else but so far it has worked for me until I can figure out why.
    Tried you method and it freeking worked. Pain, but better than nothing. BTW this was a iconia a500. Thanks
    Last edited by thedoc8; 06-13-2012 at 08:40 AM. Reason: More info

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links