• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Sleep of Death

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Definitely contact Acer chat support if you are having sleep of death with no apps installed. They told me that there is no sleep of death in 4.0.3 and that their tablets don't have that type of issue. They won't release another update unless people start reporting this problem to them.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Went through chat support and the only thing they can say is to send it in. That sounds nuts: send the unit in for a software problem?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hopefully enough people will report it and they will start looking for a fix. Either that or they might know it's a problem but not know how to fix it. I'm watching prices on Asus tablets. My Acer is useless after the upgrade. I can't load any apps without getting sleep of death.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Got up to second tier support and they suggested I do factory data reset 2-3 times using the power, volume, rotation lock method. If that did not work, then I would have to send it in so they could re-image the tablet. Why the hell can't they just post an image of the OS on their site and let owners install from that. It is not like it would be that hard. This kind of control is the reason I don't buy Apple stuff.
    After one data reset, the issue has seemed to go away. We'll see if it holds.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Update: First reset did not take. I still got SOD, albeit after a period of a few hours not the half hour or so I had been experiencing. Second reset did not take care of the problem either. By default, ICS turns wi-fi off when in sleep. I have now switched it to always on and the tablet has not slipped into a coma yet. I imagine that always leaving wi-fi on will drain battery more quickly that leaving it off, but we'll see. I'll update with anything else. I'm still miffed that I might have to send my unit in to fix a software issue. Lame.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I had my ICS update just over a week ago and initially had the unit stuck on the ACER logo at boot up. Did about 5 hard resets Sunday got the SOD issue, again on Monday but still had the SOD even with no apps or alterations made to the factory settings, spoke to Acer on Tuesday and like previous guy said, they had me post the unit off to them. I've received an email today to say the uinit is on it's way back so will see what I get, and if it lasts!

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I don't suppose, until there's a fix, there's any way of downgrading to Honeycomb? That was totally stable for me, unlike this unuseabke heap of ice cream...

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    Quote Originally Posted by monkey_claw View Post
    Update: First reset did not take. I still got SOD, albeit after a period of a few hours not the half hour or so I had been experiencing. Second reset did not take care of the problem either. By default, ICS turns wi-fi off when in sleep. I have now switched it to always on and the tablet has not slipped into a coma yet. I imagine that always leaving wi-fi on will drain battery more quickly that leaving it off, but we'll see. I'll update with anything else. I'm still miffed that I might have to send my unit in to fix a software issue. Lame.
    Just curious, have you tried turning WIFI off before sleep instead of forcing it to stay on. The new ICS power control widget is handy for this. I'm not suggesting that's a good solution for you, but I wonder if it would provide more data for diagnosis of the problem. One thing I would consider if this works is that your tablet may not be entirely compatible with your wifi access point, and that trying a different brand/model of AP might tell you something.

This sounds like a hardware problem to me, but if it's an AP compatibility issue, then it could be caused by an a500 driver problem that may not ever be fixed. It might be worth a little Googling with the name of your AP to look for problems in general, and/or associated with any of the the Acer iconia line (a100, a200 ,a500, a501, etc.). The radio in the a500 is apparently the AzureWave AW-NH611 802.11 b/g/n WLAN, Bluetooth, FM Combo Module IC (per techrepublic.com).
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 05-22-2012 at 09:50 PM. Reason: intended to write: have you tried turning wifi off

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrhelper View Post
    Just curious, have you tried turning it off before sleep instead of forcing it to stay on. The new ICS power control widget is handy for this. I'm not suggesting that's a good solution for you, but I wonder if it would provide more data for diagnosis of the problem. One thing I would consider if this works is that your tablet may not be entirely compatible with your wifi access point, and that trying a different brand/model of AP might tell you something.

This sounds like a hardware problem to me, but if it's an AP compatibility issue, then it could be caused by an a500 driver problem that may not ever be fixed. It might be worth a little Googling with the name of your AP to look for problems in general, and/or associated with any of the and the acer iconia line (a100, a200 ,a500, a501, etc.). The radio in the a500 is apparently the AzureWave AW-NH611 802.11 b/g/n WLAN, Bluetooth, FM Combo Module IC (per techrepublic.com).
    Not sure what you mean by turning it off before sleep but I have hit the power button to turn the display off and powered it down all the way to see if any combination of scenarios affects the way it behaves. Still the same SOD after I leave it on and to its own devices. As for the AP suggestion: I have had the same AP since I got the tablet and never had any problems through all of Honeycomb. Unless they changed a driver and now it is no longer compatible with my AP, I can't imagine that that is the cause. Acer seems to think it is a corrupted image. Which I guess is possible. Again, why they can't allow access to another download of their official ICS release image or force another out to me is beyond me. I will wind up sending it in and while they have it they can check the battery and power connection (which seems a little loose lately).

BTW, a third FDR did was not curative. Off to Acer it goes. Jjscoops had quick turn around on his, so, maybe it won't be all that bad being without.
    Last edited by monkey_claw; 05-17-2012 at 09:20 PM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have had the "Sleep of Death" issue since I upgraded to ICS on my A200 shortly after I purchased it in late March. It has been sent to Acer service twice. It was returned both times stating that the tablet functioned normally and passed all diagnostic tests. It still slipped into a coma shortly after entering the sleep mode upon its return. I had taken the tablet on an extended trip and noticed that while traveling in the sleep mode, the tablet would function normally, waking immediately at the press of the power button. Thinking the only difference between home and traveling was the lack of wifi. Once home, I had the tablet forget my home network before entering the sleep mode. I reconnect to my wifi router when I go on-line. I have gone some 70+ hours now without having to reboot my tablet. Simply turning wifi off did not work. The tablet has to forget my home wifi router for it to stay alive in the sleep mode. I don't know if this will work for anyone else but so far it has worked for me until I can figure out why.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links