• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Orientation sensor not working after ICS update

After updating to ICS, my A500's orientation sensor doesn't work and ACER's incompetent outsourced techs are useless. Anyone know how to fix this? I've tried to get into the boot loader and it just shows a horizontal android bot with a red triangle over him. Anyway around this?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Ads

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Same here. I posted the comment below onto the androidnet forum. I hope someone can shed light onto this matter. I love my Acer A500 and was really excited about the ICS update, but this is sooooo frustrating. Grrrrrr

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/...tml#post204974

ICS UPDATE A500: Did anybody else have problems with the screen rotation now and boot recovery not working after the ics update? I turned off the tablet and clicked the rotation on and off a few times, as suggested via internet discussions and still does not work. The boot recovery does not do anything but lead to the android robot laying flat down with a red triangle over his belly. I am not a happy camper
    I see that some image versions, build versions have the WW.GEN1 on theirs, but my update had on both PA CUS1 on the end. Can anybody enlighten me as to what might have happened. This tablet is not rooted. I'm am at a stand still, and not really tablet savvy. I believe I am going to have to send it back. It was working like a dream up until this update. Any suggestions, comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!!!
    Last edited by svenskatulie; 04-28-2012 at 05:12 PM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I had same problem. Did soft reset. Works fine now.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dbg864 View Post
    I had same problem. Did soft reset. Works fine now.
    I'd like to hear if the OP had any success. Hoping that the person managed to fix the problem, but as for me, no luck. I tried a soft reset and a factory set data reset via settings again later this evening, still no rotation and when going into boot loader it still brings me to the android bot laying down with red triangle :-( Thanks for the advice though, glad you got yours working. By any chance what does your build/image come up as at the end? It is WW.GEN1 or P.A.CUS1. Mine is P.A CUS1 but I noticed some are posting screenshots of WW.GEN1. Just thought I'd ask, not that I think that has anything to do with it, just curious.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Same problem. No orientation (stuck in landscape). Confirmed that it's unlocked and soft boot didn't work. Any other ideas?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by svenskatulie View Post
    I'd like to hear if the OP had any success. Hoping that the person managed to fix the problem, but as for me, no luck. I tried a soft reset and a factory set data reset via settings again later this evening, still no rotation and when going into boot loader it still brings me to the android bot laying down with red triangle :-( Thanks for the advice though, glad you got yours working. By any chance what does your build/image come up as at the end? It is WW.GEN1 or P.A.CUS1. Mine is P.A CUS1 but I noticed some are posting screenshots of WW.GEN1. Just thought I'd ask, not that I think that has anything to do with it, just curious.
    Hi there, you may be on to something with the build version of our update, my update version also has PA_CUS1 at the tail end and I have the exact presentation of problems you are experiencing. Hopefully Acer catches wind that several machines received an update that may have been a version not meant to be released.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Folks are having the same problem on the a200 with ICS, and many others are reporting this with the a500. Many symptoms are associated with this auto rotate accelerometer issue, and this is a bug in the recent Acer ICS release.
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 09-13-2012 at 06:59 PM. Reason: correction

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Mine is P A.CUS1 I still have problem. Soft reset while switching rotation switch does it. Have to do after each boot.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Same problem. Have the PA_CUS1 build. Any solutions yet? This is a real pain. Soft reset does nothing for me.

HOW I GOT IT WORKING. This is so lame there is no way I believe it to be a permanent fix. Will probably be fixed in a future Acer update. I powered off my tablet. When I powered it back on, while on the load screen, I just flipped the screen lock switch on, paused for a moment, flipped it off, pause, and repeated a few times. When it finally started up it was working. Go figure? Bet it will stop working again and will need to repeat this again, but don't know when or how often I will need to do this.
    Last edited by skibumtim; 05-03-2012 at 08:11 PM. Reason: got it working

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

me too

This is happening to me too. I never noticed it before because I had it locked on landscape. But now that I am reading magazines, I like auto-rotate to be on so I can read in portrait and then browse in landscape. The rotate used to work but now it is stuck. Reset does not work. It sucks. I downloaded a screen orientation app so at least I can manually switch it one way or the other.

Turning it on and off works sometimes, but not always. Pinhole reset works sometimes. Switching the screen rotate switch on and off a lot did not work.

Ads