• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Multitasking operation and Performance?

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the quick update. I remember seeing that one in the list and I'll go get it right away.

Bill

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Last night, I experienced severe performance loss on my A500, one that not even a full reboot could fix. The thing is, the tablet seemed to be performing a high amount of IOWAIT and I'm not sure why. Watchdog didn't complain anything because it was likely looking at cpu load. Elixir 2 doesn't seem to tell me anything. Is there a utility out there that helps me track this issue? There is no iotop on Android that I know of.

I disabled Gmail Syncing which in the past had given me headaches, especially when it makes the attempt to auto sync. I have huge email load, so I know it will help. But, it would be good to know just what is going on with my system and there seems to be no utility out there that gives me this information.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Try this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...r.tablet&hl=en

The app also provides very convenient access to the system logs for Android (logcat) and Linux (dmesg). That may provide some insight into what was going on.

The network connections view provides a netstat like view with associated process listings that may be useful... in case some site, network or app problem is causing frequent disconnect/reconnects.

What you describe though has symptoms similar to Ethernet packet loss, so when it happens again, you may want to run some trace routes or pings to some external addresses, and see what comes back. There are a number of apps for that, or if your tablet is rooted, busybox includes a number of useful diagnostic tools. You may need to reset your cable modem, or call your service provider if you detect persistent severe packet loss.
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 10-03-2012 at 06:22 PM.
    niniendowarrior likes this.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrhelper View Post
    Try this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...r.tablet&hl=en

The app also provides very convenient access to the system logs for Android (logcat) and Linux (dmesg). That may provide some insight into what was going on.

The network connections view provides a netstat like view with associated process listings that may be useful... in case some site, network or app problem is causing frequent disconnect/reconnects.

What you describe though has symptoms similar to Ethernet packet loss, so when it happens again, you may want to run some trace routes or pings to some external addresses, and see what comes back. There are a number of apps for that, or if your tablet is rooted, busybox includes a number of useful diagnostic tools. You may need to reset your cable modem, or call your service provider if you detect persistent severe packet loss.
    Thanks for the info. I'll try that. On the network packet loss, I doubt it as my connection is pretty stable. Gmail in particular seems to take a damn long time to sync for some reason. I always thought it was just because I have literally hundreds if not thousands of emails streaming in daily and since I regularly shut off my tablet when not in use, these would take some time to sync.

Disabled Gmail sync last night and have seen IOWait % spike to around 40% but it wasn't like before that seemed to hover at 60% to 80%. Any other theories as to why this is happening? I'm fearing maybe it's doing some thrashing somewhere. Frequent page swaps perhaps?

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by niniendowarrior View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'll try that. On the network packet loss, I doubt it as my connection is pretty stable. Gmail in particular seems to take a damn long time to sync for some reason. I always thought it was just because I have literally hundreds if not thousands of emails streaming in daily and since I regularly shut off my tablet when not in use, these would take some time to sync.
    The Gmail app does not seem to be very efficient, and so it could be a bottleneck, and especially so with the high volume you describe.

Disabled Gmail sync last night and have seen IOWait % spike to around 40% but it wasn't like before that seemed to hover at 60% to 80%. Any other theories as to why this is happening? I'm fearing maybe it's doing some thrashing somewhere. Frequent page swaps perhaps?
    Unless you have customized your device, there is likely no swapping going on, because there is no swap space on an Iconia (nor most Android devices) by default. Memory is managed by Android in a somewhat unique way (another topic) and swapping is not typically desirable, though there may be some rare exceptions where it is.

You did not state how you are measuring iowait, or the duration of the spike you mention, so I'm not sure that I clearly understand the problem.

You can use iostat to associate IO activity with a specific device/partition. Partition 8 (/data) naturally tends to be the most active. If you are not able to isolate the cause to some app you are running, including email apps, you may want to inspect your system resources. If your internal storage does not have ample free space, for example, you could be encountering file system bottlenecks. If you have less than 20% free, then you are more likely to see file system performance problems.

If you find extremely and persistently high write activity with iostat, you may want to pin that down soon, or you could be looking at premature internal storage failure. The NAND storage in these devices is a consumable resource, and may wear out prematurely under prolonged abnormally high write loads.
    niniendowarrior likes this.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    The Gmail app does not seem to be very efficient, and so it could be a bottleneck, and especially so with the high volume you describe.
    Which is what I suspected. It's been pretty silky smooth so far when the gmail sync isn't working. I don't particularly think I will need the sync to work anyway as I think manually loading the gmail app works better in my case.

Unless you have customized your device, there is likely no swapping going on, because there is no swap space on an Iconia (nor most Android devices) by default. Memory is managed by Android in a somewhat unique way (another topic) and swapping is not typically desirable, though there may be some rare exceptions where it is.
    I'm interested in a little tidbit about this if you don't mind. Perhaps via PM.

You did not state how you are measuring iowait, or the duration of the spike you mention, so I'm not sure that I clearly understand the problem.
    I can only deduce the IOWait from Watchdog which tells me generally what the percentage is. I also have Elixir 2 whose logs show me instances of ANR with the current load. As far as I can tell, those are the only places that measure IOWait.

You can use iostat to associate IO activity with a specific device/partition. Partition 8 (/data) naturally tends to be the most active. If you are not able to isolate the cause to some app you are running, including email apps, you may want to inspect your system resources. If your internal storage does not have ample free space, for example, you could be encountering file system bottlenecks. If you have less than 20% free, then you are more likely to see file system performance problems.

If you find extremely and persistently high write activity with iostat, you may want to pin that down soon, or you could be looking at premature internal storage failure. The NAND storage in these devices is a consumable resource, and may wear out prematurely under prolonged abnormally high write loads.
    I have probably like 70% free space. So I don't think that's the issue. Thanks for that hint, but I suppose I can only use it the next time I get these IOWait issues. I installed a terminal emulator, but is there another way to run iostat?

As usual, many thanks for your insight.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I thought I should post my findings on how I improved performance. I basically ran a storage analyzer which showed me which folders had the most number of files. I found that my game downloaded assets were up to like 22k files and it was causing the media scanner to spike up. I put in .nomedia on each of the folders that had a lot of files which seems to have helped performance.
    Mrhelper likes this.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I've been investigating a bit this issue I have with my tablet where the graphically intensive games like Real Racing 3 are constantly dropping into flickering issues. Here's what I dug up from the Android error logs:

NvRmChannelSubmit: NvError_IoctlFailed with error code 12

I posted this thread because it's a performance issue. I found out the Tegra2 drivers on 4.0 ICS is buggy according to XDA.

xda-developers - View Single Post - Games started to flicker...

And the solution I found from XDA seems to serve as a stop gap solution.

xda-developers - View Single Post - **** Gameloft

FMR Memory Cleaner basically kills all the running processes. Android will start them all back up, but it should free up your device's memory (likely including the OpenGL ES tegra driver). It seems to me that the crux of the issue is that the OpenGL renderer is running out of memory so it isn't able to paint anymore, so you're stuck with the last painted frame and it just flickers like mad.

System Tuner's memory widget lets you keep tabs over the memory being used by your system. The more apps you install that need to start some service, the more RAM is consumed and the more sluggish your system becomes. For graphically intensive games, it will perform even worse.

After reading and investigating all that, I kinda regret leaving Honeycomb which did not exhibit any of these issues.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for you post to teach us more in this field. To be honest, I have no idea about this topic before.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links