• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Unhappy My iconia tab A500 will not start

when Iwoke up this morning I noticed that my iconia tab was not on. I just thought maybe it needed charging so I pluged it in and walk away. Come back 10 minutes later and it was still on the android screen. I have pressed the reset button but it just starts over and goes right back to the android screen. I checked out some forums that said to press the volume up button and power key and lock button but it just takes me to a screen with the robot with a triangle and exclamation point in the center. Please help

2. # ADS
    Ads

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    179 times

Welcome To AcerTabletForum

Please feel free to PM me if you need any help

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Even my tab is in black screen mode. It can not do anything. Just continuously vibrate. I tried hard reset but dint work for me. Please Help.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Get someone's update.zip off XDA, copy to the root of your external sd, and flash
    Woe to those poor souls that know neither victory nor defeat, those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight. -Theodore Roosevelt

Moral: Nothing ventured in life, nothing gained!

Acer Iconia A500

Twitter - #LordZilo

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times

Escaping Recovery Mode by Using Factory Data Reset

Don't panic....

What you appear to be describing is the SD recovery mode. You probably got into this accidentally. You can easily make this mistake by using the wrong buttons at the wrong time and/or possibly holding the power too long while attempting the factory data reset. You probably do not need to download a recovery image, so hold off on that until you are certain that the factory data reset procedure has been done properly. Take your time, understand the procedure, and realize that you may have to go through a few practice runs to get it right.

Follow the video as posted by Rob above very carefully (Iconia Tab A500 Series - Hard Reset when the screen is black - YouTube). Watch it several times before trying. Read each written note. You may also want to read the written version of the same procedure: Acer Support: Frequently Asked Questions list for Internal Only - How do I perform a Factory Data Reset if my Acer ICONIA TAB A500 does not boot?

Follow this very carefully, including the release of the power button in 3 seconds, while continuing to hold volume up, and then rocking the screen rotation lock switch after the vibrate. Watch the screen... when you see "Erasing user data..." followed very quickly by "Erasing cache...." then you will have done it correctly.

To prevent getting into this situation in the future, avoid pressing the volume button the same time as the power button. If you have a case on the tablet, make sure that the volume button is not being depressed by that.
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 06-03-2012 at 04:12 PM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I am having this issue due to loading an App for VPN. When I turn on my Tablet it brings up the screen to sign in to the VPN and I cannot get out and back to the tablet home screens. I tried this factory data reset but it fails shortly after starting. I have tried it so many times my fingers are sore. I have applied the Android 4.0 update to my original system. Any help is appreciated.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cride785 View Post
    I am having this issue due to loading an App for VPN. When I turn on my Tablet it brings up the screen to sign in to the VPN and I cannot get out and back to the tablet home screens. I tried this factory data reset but it fails shortly after starting. I have tried it so many times my fingers are sore. I have applied the Android 4.0 update to my original system. Any help is appreciated.
    I understand better what you are seeing now after reading this post. You have to power off the tablet before starting the Factory data reset. If you've been skipping that step, that may explain why it is giving you such a problem (other than the fact that it is so cumbersome to begin with). We put together a detailed guide on this: [HOW TO] Perform A Factory Reset. You should go to Method 2, because I assume you cannot access the Settings app.

Follow the instructions very carefully, including the power down, and proper timing of each action.
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 06-06-2012 at 11:31 PM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have the same problem and have tried those methods to no avail. I have ics non rooted worked great one day next wouldnt boot just hangs on acer boot screen.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Which methods did you try, and what did you see? Did you see the "Erasing user data" and the "Erasing cache" messages on the screen if/when you tried the Factory data reset?

What were you doing last before the tablet started behaving like this? The reason I ask is that I've seen at least two reports of people who were merely streaming video who had that activity crash the tablet and then immediately wound up in this state.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I am having the problem of the tablet not starting up and the screen remaining black. It occurred after going through some system updates. Don't ask why but my partner turned it off whilst it was updating. I have tried the Factory Data Reset and do get the message "Erasing user data" and the "Erasing cache" messages on the screen. But the tablet screen just goes black again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ads