• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

ACer A500 Update from 3.1

Hi,

Hoping someone out there can help me.

I recently used a friend's A500 tablet and was so impressed that I went out and bought one a few days ago. This is another way of saying that I'm a complete newbie as far as the tablet is concerned.

My friend's tablet was Android version 3.2 but the tablet I bought is version 3.0.1. The build number is Acer_500_1.016.05_COM_GEN1

I "chatted" with support staff at Acer and was told to reset the tablet to the factory settings and the update would automatically occurr "over the air."
    I did this and nothing happened. If I try to update manually I am told that no updates are available.

On a second chat session I was told that the updates to 3.2 have probably not been released for my serial number, but they could give me no idea how long I would have to wait before this happens.

I read on some other threads here that version 3.2 is available for download but it seems I'd have to first update from build 1.016.05 to 1.4*** before I could update to 3.2. I can't find how to do this.

I'm fairly pissed off about this. I didn't expect to have to go through this with a brand new tablet. I'm desperately hoping that someone can point me in the right direction and explain what steps I have to take to get the tablet updated.

Thanks.

Al.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    179 times
    Welcome to the forum. Frankly I said just to wait until you receive the OTA update. You might end up harming the tab more than helping yourself. Like you were told before, tablet updates are released by region and serial number. And seriously, besides that what is wrong with your tablet? Is it not working properly?

Sent from Rob's TapadaIconia

Welcome To AcerTabletForum

Please feel free to PM me if you need any help

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RobKort View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Frankly I said just to wait until you receive the OTA update. You might end up harming the tab more than helping yourself. Like you were told before, tablet updates are released by region and serial number. And seriously, besides that what is wrong with your tablet? Is it not working properly?

Sent from Rob's TapadaIconia
    It's working but I have some issues. The settings for the Lumina book reader are extremely limited and I'm not able to switch off the page turn animation, which drives me crazy. I am unable to sync the Iconia Tab, despite downloading the required software for my PC. Everything seems to run fine on my PC but it's not syncing with the tablet.

I know I can download other readers, but if I wait for the update doesn't that mean having to reset my tablet to factory settings again? That's something I don't want to have to keep doing. (I haven't yet worked out how I can back everything up. No doubt I will do in time.)

Frankly, I was disappointed and surprised, firstly that both my friend's tablet and mine state they were manufactured in May, 2011. His has 3.2. Mine has 3.0.1. Secondly, that Acer support could give me no idea at all, not even approximately, how long it will be before I can get the update.

Al.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I spoke to support today after buying mine only 4 days ago with same issue. Apparently because it is a build 1 it can't jump to the build 4 update. So they said I'd have to send it back to them and they will force it down to them. But after telling them it was only a few days old they said to take it back to the vendor and they'll replace it with a build 4.0 model with the supplied case number.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchen View Post
    I spoke to support today after buying mine only 4 days ago with same issue. Apparently because it is a build 1 it can't jump to the build 4 update. So they said I'd have to send it back to them and they will force it down to them. But after telling them it was only a few days old they said to take it back to the vendor and they'll replace it with a build 4.0 model with the supplied case number.
    Thanks for the information. I was given a case #ID and the 800 number to contact Acer. So I'll give that a try tomorrow and see if I get the same result as you.

Thanks again for letting me know about this.

Al.

UPDATE - Dec 12

I had 3 chat sessions and four phone calls to Acer service. During each call I was told something completely different. Eventually I got to "Level 2" service and was told that the reason my tablet was not getting the updates was because I didn't have blue tooth enabled. I was told to enable blue tooth and wait for 4-5 days and I should get the updates. If not the tablet would have to be sent back to them to be flashed.

Enough already! The tablet is only 4 days old. I took it back to Staples today and they exchanged it for me. I got home, switched on the tablet and within a minute I got an update notification. After 3 updates my tablet is now at version 3.2

Why can't Acer service tell the truth - that there was a problem with the tablet - instead of telling me a different story each time I called?

I've learned from the experience.

Al.
    Last edited by Alds; 12-13-2011 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Update

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    i had the same problem with mine not updating from 3.0.1, spent about 30 minutes chatting to someone who i think who knew less about the tablet than i do, to be finally told it need to be sent to acer for repair, as its going to be a christmas present this was unacceptable so back to where i brought it to exchange it, they did not have anymore so off to another shop and got there last one and 50 cheaper took it home and charged it as soon as i turned it on updates where there

Ads