• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

OS update needed to continue to use tablet?

We use our tablet almost exclusively to watch tv using a great app called DroidTV. Well, they have updated the version of the app and now shows are not downloading. The developer thinks we are running too old a version of Android, which is 4.0.3. I know that's as far as Acer provides for updates but if I root could I have a useable OS - Jellybean? If yes, what instructions would you recommend as easiest and safest?
    I really want to find a fix for this and not buy a new tablet. Thanks!

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    An A500 version of IconiaHD rom is available here : [ROM][A500 & A501] Android 4.4.4 (OmniRO… | Iconia A500 | XDA Forum
    KitKat 4.4.4 : Impossible to find more recent !

If this one cannot run DroidTV, the problem is probably located inside DroidTV !
    Iconia Tab A200 (Omnirom KitKat 4.4.4 IconiaHD )..........
    Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc (KitKat 4.4.2 stock rom)....

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thank you, the developer said that is exactly what we need but he also said that rooting is something "for people that really know what they are doing!" So since that isn't us, he sent us the earlier version of the program which is now working.

Just as a side note, I wiil never buy another Acer product for not supporting their tablets with OS upgrades. There seems to be no reason why this very good tablet couldn't have been supported longer. Very upset with Acer. I may write them an angry letter!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links