• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Red face Encryption Unsuccessful - Even after factory reset? Am I hosed?

Hi all. Noob alert! No I have never rooted or even loaded a rom. But reading through the FAQ's etc.., I haven't found an answer to this one.
    All was working fine after the ICS update, then with no warning, the A500 boots up to Acer, then Android splash, then after nothing for 5 minutes I get a message telling me that "Encryption Unsuccessful" click here to Factory Reset. Tried that, same result. Used the pinhole reset, same result. Power up/holding Volume up button, same result. No SD card installed.
    So any direction from anyone would be appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    Try Method 2 here: [HOW TO] Perform A Factory Reset. Follow the instructions very precisely.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you Mrhelper. I followed the instructions to a tee. I got the "erasing user data" & "erasing cache" message, I let go of all buttons like instructed, it reboots and then goes right back to the acer boot screen. after leaving it alone for 5 to 7 minutes, it present the "Encryption Unsuccessful" screen again asking me if I want to do a factory reset and actually provides me with a "Factory Reset" on screen button to push. I have tried all methods that I have been able to find. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Mahalo Nui (many thanks)
    Todd

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Similar setup - my solution

This probably will not work for you. I tried a hard reset because I thought it would get rid of the encryption and take me back to square one. It didn't work. However I was able to do a restore in recovery from a backup I had taken AFTER I encrypted the tablet. Since you got an "unsuccessful" on the encryption not sure what to say. Can you format the data partition? If not, look and see if you can find a solution using fastboot. You have to install the SDK. I'm also interested in taking off the encryption because I want to go to Jellybean. I didn't realize encryption was a one way ticket. However I'm lucky because the custom rom I chose is rock solid. At worst, I will not be able to change my ROM anymore. I will not attempt a decrypt until I'm 100% sure of what I'm doing.

If you can't fix this, can Acer restore the factory image? I was trying to go down this route and see if I could restore the factory image and write over the whole internal drive. That and fastboot are what I'm trying to use. It's crazy that I can't change the rom because of encryption. Oh well...

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Remove any SD card from the slot and connect a USB keyboard. Go through the usual restore method using the on/off switch and the volume control. You will get the robot with the spinning belly which will fail and go to a robot with an exclamation point. At this time hit the "HOME" key on the keyboard and you will see a menu. Arrow down to the line that says something about reformat. I'm old and can't remember the exact wording. Hit ENTER and it will reformat the data and cache folders. You will lose any data on the device so be forewarned. Once it is done you can then choose to reboot. It should then load like a new machine with no encryption.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    okay...I finally got mine unencrypted. Follow this:

Forum TegraOwners • View topic - How to REALLY format data partition if it gets corrupted

If you don't have the toggle option, install Thor 1.7 from Acer Recovery Installer 3.03.

After you do this, format all the partitions except ad-card. Then install your favorite rom before a reboot.

After this I was unencrypted on a new Rom.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links