• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Jellybean on the A500 ever?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by memery261 View Post
    In reply to waste land savage.

I for one would spend 20 on a jellybean rom from acer, I dont think that it would hurt acer if they did offer something like that.
    I wish they would.
    I dont think its alright for an acer rep to tell you one thing and then do the opposite, but I will say that the people you talk to really dont have a clue what acer is planing so Untill i have heard an official statement from acer i wouldnt believe any tech support person.

ICS was not even released yet when i bought my a500 and my box didnt say anything about it so thats the info i was going off of.

The problem I have is people expecting something for free and bitching when they dont get it. If you were to go buy a new PC with windows 8 installed Microsoft will not give you a free copy of Windows 9 or whatever they will call it. you would have to buy the pc a month before win9 gets released then they might give you a free upgrade but you still would only get 1 upgrade you wouldnt get a free copy of win10 right after they gave you a free upgrade to win 9 so why complain after you got your free upgrade.

like i said you got exactly what you paid for and then they gave you a free upgrade to ICS. They didnt need to give you ics but they did.

Thank you for being civil about my comments
    Have a good evening
    No problem about being civil..
    There's no reason to get into a flame war or anything.

I agree with what your saying.
    The Laptop I'm typing this on is only about two months old and when I got it it has Win 7 on it with the possibility of an upgrade to Win 8 when it comes out this Friday 10/26 for an additional $14.99 I can get an upgrade. I wouldn't expect them to give me an upgrade to Win 9 that's for sure.

I do have to chuckle a little at one of your statements though when you said if they give it to you or whatever ie: Microsoft when have we ever known them to give us anything but a hardtime?

But I to would pay for an Upgrade to JB if Acer would offer it.
    But after all ICS isn't all that bad.

Thank You to for being civil.
    memery261 likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    I really wonder where the tablet market for android is heading after the release of the Nexus 7, and now the all but confirmed Nexus 10. I think it really puts OEMs like Acer in a rough spot because they still have to wait for the code and apply their own tweaks to get it to run properly on their hardware. This takes time and money. With the nature of android constantly changing every 6 months, it really has become almost impossible for OEMs to keep up. Most devices are still on ICS (officially at least).

I've had the nexus 7 for several months now and (once I found a non-defective model) it's been a joy to use. At this point the only way to keep up with the latest android version is to have a nexus device. There's no way around it. I think that's what really sold the device to people; updates are quick because it's directly from Google. Combine with the fact it's a wifi tablet, there's no carrier restrictions to slow down updates even further. No rooting needed (unless you want to and even then it's a breeze) and you get the latest and greatest software with very little fuss. People like having updated devices and Google has almost strong armed the market into two choices: the latest "pure" android software or an OEM "android based" device with it's own features and quirks that take time to iron out (and which may never be supported beyond major bug fixes).

The nexus tablet(s) really needed to happen because it shows Google is committed to extending their platform and ecosystem to more than just phones. It's amazing how terrible apps for Honeycomb (v3.x.x) were when the first Android tablets came out (ie the A500). There's still work to be done but it's much better than it used to be. I think the nexus tablet gave developers the incentive to develop more for tablets especially since ICS bridged the gap between phones and tablets. Something that was absolutely necessary to the future android.
    Acerrific likes this.
    Acer Iconia A500:

ROM List | KERNEL List | RECOVERY List

​Current ROM:
    TegraOwners ICS v170

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Time to save my pennies for the nexus I guess maybe I can afford one when the second generation comes out

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Waste_Land_Savage View Post

I agree with what your saying.
    The Laptop I'm typing this on is only about two months old and when I got it it has Win 7 on it with the possibility of an upgrade to Win 8 when it comes out this Friday 10/26 for an additional $14.99 I can get an upgrade. I wouldn't expect them to give me an upgrade to Win 9 that's for sure.

I do have to chuckle a little at one of your statements though when you said if they give it to you or whatever ie: Microsoft when have we ever known them to give us anything but a hardtime?
    my mother bought a laptop that had WinXP installed, but she got it a month before Vista was released and she was given a free upgrade to Vista Home.
    Although I bet it was the laptop manufacturer that gave her the upgrade and not Microsoft, anyway she got lucky she got it for free.

I really like ICS, I do wish they would give us a update that has the "Project Butter" enhancements though. I'm still on the fence about Jelly bean not sure if i like it better than ics or not. (probably not) aside from the butter enhancements it's a themed ics rom in my opinion, nothing much that i cant take care of with a new home screen launcher. I use Apex launcher and i really think its better than JB, well that and godmachine81's kernel make my ICS faster and better than the A500 with JB.

Good evening
    memery261

Acer Iconia A200
    Acer Iconia A500
    VM Cruz Reader (android 2.1)

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Question

my mother bought a laptop that had WinXP installed, but she got it a month before Vista was released and she was given a free upgrade to Vista Home.
    Although I bet it was the laptop manufacturer that gave her the upgrade and not Microsoft, anyway she got lucky she got it for free.

I really like ICS, I do wish they would give us a update that has the "Project Butter" enhancements though. I'm still on the fence about Jelly bean not sure if i like it better than ics or not. (probably not) aside from the butter enhancements it's a themed ics rom in my opinion, nothing much that i cant take care of with a new home screen launcher. I use Apex launcher and i really think its better than JB, well that and godmachine81's kernel make my ICS faster and better than the A500 with JB.

Good evening
    I have been looking for a new Launch Bar while I like ICS bar it is still basically nothing but the same bar as was in Honeycomb except they tweaked the graphics and icons a tad bit
    You mentioned you used the Apex Launcher where did you get that at?
    And if I do decide to get it can it be easily uninstalled and revert back to your default if I should decide not to keep it?
    Thanks in advance
    Ricky

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I find the fact that the tablet gets less than two years of software updates pretty poor. ICS was released in October 2011, I think it was atleast May this year that the "official" Acer release (4.0.3) of it leaked by which time 4.0.4 was already out. Now they can't even manage an incremental update to 4.1. If tablets weren't bogged down with OEM's own cr@pware couldn't google just push out updates themselves?

I think it's over to Surface for me when the Pro version comes out as I've always found my A500 slightly sluggish and unreliable.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    I am hoping that in the near future Google will start to slow down the OS update process. Android came into the tablet market with HC and we all came to realise very quickly that it was not really up to scratch, and there has been a mad rush to get the OS up to a decent standard ever since. Now with JB they have achieved a standard that is appropriate, the need to constantly put pressure on OEMs should not be necessary. Android now has an OS that is unified and comparable to any opposition, time now to concentrate on getting all members of the Alliance involved in the evolution of Android. If Google included all major OEMs in the developement process,then we would have a situation where all members could actively include the new code into their products at the same time, leaving the consumer in a much better position of choice. Instead of incremental changes, they could concentrate on major changes at a suitable time frame.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Waste_Land

you can get Apex on the play store, you can revert back to stock at any time. there is a place in the Apex settings that will allow you to choose what you want as your default launcher. If you go back to androids default launcher, your tablet will look just as it was before you started using apex. All your Icons and wallpaper will be right where they were before.

it is a very cool launcher as you can choose how many desktops you want, im running 7 but I know you can do 9 and i think more.
    its very configurable, alot of settings. anyway check it out and if you have any questions just ask and i will try to help
    Last edited by memery261; 10-25-2012 at 09:03 PM.
    Waste_Land_Savage likes this.
    memery261

Acer Iconia A200
    Acer Iconia A500
    VM Cruz Reader (android 2.1)

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Waste_Land

you can get Apex on the play store, you can revert back to stock at any time. there is a place in the Apex settings that will allow you to choose what you want as your default launcher. If you go back to androids default launcher, your tablet will look just as it was before you started using apex. All your Icons and wallpaper will be right where they were before.

it is a very cool launcher as you can choose how many desktops you want, im running 7 but I know you can do 9 and i think more.
    its very configurable, alot of settings. anyway check it out and if you have any questions just ask and i will try to help
    Thanks again I was here earlier and I must have missed it again sorry about that.

I will be sure to go check it out at the store here in a bit as soon as I get done on my Lappy.

It sounds like it's right up my alley I use Stardocks Objectdock/Windows Blinds together on my Lappy and I "LOVE" it my wife thinks I'm crazy she hates change and I hate the same old same old.

If I have any questions I'll be sure to ask and Thanks for your offer of help. I'm truly grateful.

Have a Great evening: Ricky

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times

Re: Jellybean on the A500 ever?

I love android...but the diversity in manufacturers, devices, OS versions, etc is both a strength as well as a huge weakness.

As much as I loathe Apple their iOS is stable and smooth. Android often feels like a continuous beta OS with stability and upgrade/compatibility issus.

In a way I want iAndroid :-)

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk HD

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links