• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Jellybean on the A500 ever?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    You know not to keep complaining but I really wish I would've got that Toshiba Tablet I was looking at when I bought my a500.
    I could've got a 32gb tablet instead of the 16gb I would have got it for $75 less.
    I have no idea if Toshiba is upgrading their tablets but at least I'd saved some green and had a bigger internal sd in the bargain, OH WELL live and learn.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    For those looking to root and install a different Rom go here.

Iconia A500 Android Development - xda-developers

Please read or use the search bar to find what you are looking for, all your answers are there you just need to look.

Everyone who is mad that you are not getting jellybean on your tablet could you tell me how the new tires you got for free from your car maker are working or better yet how's the new more fuel efficient Engine you got for free after your first year of owning your car.

You spend thousands on a car and dont bitch or expect the car company to upgrade you car for free when they start selling a new version of whatever you bought,
    but you spend under 500 dollars on a tablet that comes with android 3.2, acer then gives you an os upgrade for free but now the company sucks cause you cant have a second free upgrade. Go ask honda or ford or chevy for a free upgrade like a new Engine or tires and see what they say. Hell try it with the people who built your house.

Why do you think you are entitled to anything from acer. you didnt even know that you were going to get ICS for your tablet untill after ICS was released, so you bought an A500 with android 3.1 and you were happy because you got what you paid for. Then they "Acer" upgraded you all the way to ICS and you were happy because you got something you didnt pay for.

GIVE ME A BREAK.
    Last edited by memery261; 10-20-2012 at 05:24 PM.
    memery261

Acer Iconia A200
    Acer Iconia A500
    VM Cruz Reader (android 2.1)

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    There is only one option Frank 1960, you have to go with a Google Nexus device it's the only way you will ever get prompt OS upgrades.

Android 4.2 Features: Improved Gmail, Settings, Security, Other Upgrades [REPORT] - International Digital Times

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post
    There is only one option Frank 1960, you have to go with a Google Nexus device it's the only way you will ever get prompt OS upgrades.

Android 4.2 Features: Improved Gmail, Settings, Security, Other Upgrades [REPORT] - International Digital Times
    Hmm interesting I am up for a new phone soon maybe I will go with their phone and wait for them to come out with the 10" nexus

And memery261 when you buy a car it is a given that you will buy parts for it when you buy electronics like this and other manufactures are sending out upgrades you would think that the manufacturer of your item would do the same thing. It's not like buying a coffee pot where when it dies you just go and buy a new one. I for one seeing I just got it this year would expect the company to send out upgrades and fixes for my device a little longer than they have.
    Last edited by Frank1960; 10-21-2012 at 09:11 AM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by memery261 View Post
    For those looking to root and install a different Rom go here.

Iconia A500 Android Development - xda-developers

Please read or use the search bar to find what you are looking for, all your answers are there you just need to look.

Everyone who is mad that you are not getting jellybean on your tablet could you tell me how the new tires you got for free from your car maker are working or better yet how's the new more fuel efficient Engine you got for free after your first year of owning your car.

You spend thousands on a car and dont bitch or expect the car company to upgrade you car for free when they start selling a new version of whatever you bought,
    but you spend under 500 dollars on a tablet that comes with android 3.2, acer then gives you an os upgrade for free but now the company sucks cause you cant have a second free upgrade. Go ask honda or ford or chevy for a free upgrade like a new Engine or tires and see what they say. Hell try it with the people who built your house.

Why do you think you are entitled to anything from acer. you didnt even know that you were going to get ICS for your tablet untill after ICS was released, so you bought an A500 with android 3.1 and you were happy because you got what you paid for. Then they "Acer" upgraded you all the way to ICS and you were happy because you got something you didnt pay for.

GIVE ME A BREAK.
    While I understand what you are saying, And I never really looked at it that way
    One thing I can correct you on though, When I bought my a500 I did know I was going to be getting ICS. It not only said so in the advertisement, It also said so on the box, I guess it was away for Acer to lure us into buying their product I don't know. But that's besides the point
    But let me aske you this would it hurt Acer any if they offered an upgrade to JB at an additional charge of let say $20 to those of us who want JB but don't want to risk messing our tabby up by rooting
    It would be additional money for Acer Corp and a service to us.
    I got a feeling more people then not would pay a small fee for a "CLEAN" update without the risk of rooting
    And let me ask one more thing is it right for an Acer rep to lie to someone who ask about the JB upgrade by saying yea your going to be getting it and then have the company say no the a500 won't be getting the JB upgrade
    That makes for real good customer service doesn't it
    And it makes someone want to trust Acer that much more the next time that they are on the market for a new tablet
    Just asking mind ya!

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    In reply to waste land savage.

I for one would spend 20 on a jellybean rom from acer, I dont think that it would hurt acer if they did offer something like that.
    I wish they would.
    I dont think its alright for an acer rep to tell you one thing and then do the opposite, but I will say that the people you talk to really dont have a clue what acer is planing so Untill i have heard an official statement from acer i wouldnt believe any tech support person.

ICS was not even released yet when i bought my a500 and my box didnt say anything about it so thats the info i was going off of.

The problem I have is people expecting something for free and bitching when they dont get it. If you were to go buy a new PC with windows 8 installed Microsoft will not give you a free copy of Windows 9 or whatever they will call it. you would have to buy the pc a month before win9 gets released then they might give you a free upgrade but you still would only get 1 upgrade you wouldnt get a free copy of win10 right after they gave you a free upgrade to win 9 so why complain after you got your free upgrade.

like i said you got exactly what you paid for and then they gave you a free upgrade to ICS. They didnt need to give you ics but they did.

Thank you for being civil about my comments
    Have a good evening
    Last edited by memery261; 10-21-2012 at 07:00 PM.
    Acerrific likes this.
    memery261

Acer Iconia A200
    Acer Iconia A500

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    This is from Wikipedia.

Google provides major updates (typically incremental in nature) to Android every six to nine months, which most devices are capable of receiving over the air. [90] The latest major update is Android 4.1 "Jelly Bean".

Compared to rival mobile operating systems, namely iOS, Android updates are typically very slow in reaching devices, often taking several months from the official Google release date to actually being distributed to devices. [91] This is caused partly due to the extensive variation in hardware of Android devices, for which each update must be tailored, as the official Google source code only runs on their flagship Nexus phone. Porting Android to specific hardware is a time- and resource-consuming process for device manufacturers, who prioritize their newest devices and often leave older ones behind. [91] Hence, older smartphones are frequently not updated if the manufacturer decides it is not worth their time, regardless if the phone is capable of running the update. This problem is compounded when manufacturers customize Android with their own interface and apps, which must be reapplied to each new release. Some commentators have noted that manufacturers have a financial incentive not to update their devices, as lack of updates for existing devices fuels the purchase of newer ones. [92] Further delays can be introduced by wireless carriers who, after receiving updates from manufacturers, customize and brand Android to their needs and conduct extensive testing on their networks before sending the update out to users. [91]

In 2011, Google partnered with a number of manufacturers and carriers to announce an "Android Update Alliance", pledging to deliver timely updates for every device for 18 months after its release. [93] As of 2012,[91]

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    memery261

Acer Iconia A200
    Acer Iconia A500

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Looks like it . I personally didn't expect an upgrade to JB, I'm happy enough with ICS4 . and the A500/501s are over the (pledged) 18 months anyway.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    I am happy with ics also, I have JB on my A200 and its alright, I had it on thr 500 but went back to ics for certain apps and stability of other things.
    All in all im very happy with what i have
    gary and Acerrific like this.
    memery261

Acer Iconia A200
    Acer Iconia A500

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links