• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Missus

Thread: Installed SD card

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Installed SD card

Does installing a SD card have an impact on my tablets speed. I had read that it advisable to put music / pictures / PDF files on an SD card which I have done. However I have noticed my a500 sells to have a slight lag generally. I moved my files to the main unit and removed the SD card and no lag. Is this normal.

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    What is the class of your SD card?

I have not noticed any lag using a C6 32 GB microSD, C10 64 GB microSD or a 64 GB C10 SD in my Android tablet.

Admin - TransformerForums
    Super Mod - AcerTabs - NexusTabs - AndroidTabs
    Rescue Squad - Android.net - TransformerForums

Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munchin on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene. - Homer Jay Simpson

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I am using a Sandisk Micro SD HC 1 card. 16 GB

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dave_w_h View Post
    Does installing a SD card have an impact on my tablets speed. I had read that it advisable to put music / pictures / PDF files on an SD card which I have done. However I have noticed my a500 sells to have a slight lag generally. I moved my files to the main unit and removed the SD card and no lag. Is this normal.
    The presence of an SD card can affect performance in a few ways:

1.) Performance of file operations: Copying files from the internal storage to an external SD card that is relatively slower could cause apps that perform file operations on the external SD card to take more time. The internal storage performance is approximately equivalent to class 10 flash SD storage, so using an SD card with performance capability lower than that could reduce the speed of certain file operations.

2.) Performance of the system in general: Regardless of the performance capability of the SD card, if it contains a large number of media files when you plug it into the tablet, certain media services that run in the background will scan each file to obtain metadata, create thumbnail images, etc. This consumes CPU, memory and I/O resources, which can affect tablet performance until the given tasks are complete. This can take quite some time depending on the number of files there are to scan, the resource load from any other tasks running in the background, and work that you are concurrently doing in the foreground. It also seems possible that if the SD card was slow -- e.g., class 2 instead of class 10 -- this could reduce the speed of media file scanning, and so extend the overall time until scanning completion. This background activity would result in a form of system lag, where the GUI would not be as responsive as when system resource loads are lighter, and foreground tasks may run noticeably slower. If you leave the card in long enough though, the tasks will complete. The affected media indexing services should then quiesce and stop consuming background resources. This state should persist at least until you remove and reinsert the card. or clear media service cache/data, which may trigger the scanning to start again.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi, I installed a 16 gig card the other day but when I go into the app manager there is no option to move to the SD card like there is on my phone. I haven't been able to move anything to it. What am I missing? Thanks

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Honeycomb and ICS do not support that feature. You can store app data on the SD card, but not the app itself. If you are rooted, there are workarounds.

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk 2
    bilderberg likes this.

Ads