• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Any owners of both iPad 3 and A500's having a hard time using the A500's?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by valkillmore View Post
    Exactly......if I could answer that then there would be no issue. But anything above baseline @ 4.1 fails/stutters.........which is pretty much my entire collection. As well reFrame eliminates the rest as possibility.

But considering the graphics stutter on the the pre-installed Heroes of Sparta, and as crappy as those graphics are, then that says something about either the tablet, the graphics processor or a combination of the two.

Compared to my Nexus, my tablet sucks, plain and simple.
    Don't listen to that other guy, it's a well established fact that Tegra 2 isn't capable of playing back high definition video at a reasonable frame rate. The reason for this is the decision by nVidia to omit NEON support from Tegra 2, and so hardware acceleration is broken, and the CPU isn't beefy enough to play back HD content with software decoding. They basically did this to get to market more quickly rather than for any cost cutting.

This is NOT an a500 specific issue, not anything to do with android tablets (other than do many first gen tablets run on Tegra 2). The plethora of Tegra 3 tablets out there play back 1080p content @ high levels just fine, surprise surprise, they included NEON in Tegra 3.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Overall however, the video playback is the ONLY issue I've found with the a500 that can't be fixed - it's a hardware limitation.

The lack of responsiveness, and tendency to stutter was fixed with the ice cream sandwich update.

And I challenge anyone who thinks that android tablets are fated to exist in the low end (ie. not compete with iPad) to pick up a transformer prime (or very soon an a700 or a transformer infinity) and tell me that it is in want of anything in that comparison.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I do still love my tablet. I can make it work, but side by side my phone dusts it in HD video playback. That being said when it comes to system graphics, ie the homescreen and how it performs I no longer have any lag whatsoever. I only have it clocked @ 1.2 and as fast as I can tap on the edge of the screen that homescreen cycles with zero lag. So it does well. Just not great, and a device that big needs to be able to handle HD movies better.

I use a home server now with a dedicated PC serving to Emit app on my tablet and that makes up for it anyways so it really isn't a big whoop. I can now stream anything from my home network on my tablet. I just need a completely different platform doing the work

PS: Thanks for the explanation on NEON, Ararat. I am going to read more about the Tegra line.
    Last edited by valkillmore; 07-01-2012 at 03:06 AM.
    Acer Iconia a500

ICS 4.0.3 ROM FlexReaper Extreem Edition rv5.1

Samsung Galaxy Nexus (GSM)

ICS 4.0.4 ROM AOKP b.40 Kernel Trinity 1408-512 stbl65

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Talking A500 rocks!!

I have had my A500 for a year now, and I love it! I don't even look at another tablet any more :-)

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    the only down side of A500 compared to ipad 3 for me is a weight. all other i dont care. i love my A500. would be even better clocked to 1.2ghz. but i only rooted it. not installed the patched ICS bootloader.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times

New tablet

Having the A500 since it came out (we actually purchased quite a few for the business) they work well for the cost and the time they were released. At about 1/2 the cost of the iPad it worked out well for us. I believe they will last a few more years doing the job they do. However that being said. I received my ASUS TF700 Infinity pad this morning and WOW what a difference over both the A500 and the iPad2 and iPad3. It is slightly thicker than 1/2 the thickness of the A500 and a little thinner that Ipad3. The screen is just amazing. The screen is the same resolution as the new Acer a500 but I wanted a thinner more rounded corner unit - the Dock keyboard was a consideration too. I'm going to keep and re-purpose my A500, but honestly I don't see using it much with the new Asus unit in hand.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oleg1981 View Post
    the only down side of A500 compared to ipad 3 for me is a weight. all other i dont care. i love my A500. would be even better clocked to 1.2ghz. but i only rooted it. not installed the patched ICS bootloader.
    This I have to agree with. When I first got the A500, I thought (rather, assumed) that the weight would not be a problem. But as I use the tab (now for over a year), I find the weight cumbersome. Other than that, I have nothing to complain about. Also, initially, I thought that the USB port would be really useful. Again, now with over a year's use, I find that I can do without it.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    For me the weight of the A500 is a factor after extended use. The size though is nice when working on a spreadsheet with bunches of columns. The A100 is handy for use with spreadsheets with not so many columns. Because of the extended use thing (2 hours or so straight), I have set them up to be the same. Overall, I really like the A100.

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    When I am at college they have wifi for me to connect to. And what memory should I get??
    Last edited by PeterWitrigs; 11-05-2014 at 12:59 AM.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The most you can afford. The A500 I have is the 32gb release sporting a 32gb card. The A100 is 8gb with a 32gb card. I have a few games and am at about 1/4 used on the A100.

More than memory though, test drive with a thought about device size. The A100 is easier to work with in many situations and it performs well. In some situations I prefer the 7" size.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links