• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What all can be disabled and the tablet still function properly

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

What all can be disabled and the tablet still function properly

With ICS, I have been able to simply disable so many of the acer junk and I can tell you that my A500's are considerably snappier. I was wandering if someone has a list of services/apps that can be disabled?

I love the fact that no root is needed. This is wonderful!

BTW, I purchased 2 iPad 3's 64gb. After using them, I'm trying to replicate the finished look and feel of an iPad. I like both, but I now know the reason Apple owns this market. The WOW factor IS there, but the connectivity to the iPad factor SUCKS. I miss USB ETC. If you buy one, get the most GB you can possibly save for.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    How are you disabling the apps?

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    On your app drawer long press the app/drag to info at the top of the screen/ click disable.

-end of line-
    Welcome To AcerTabletForum
    Please feel free to PM me if you need any help

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Rob, there is more to it than that. You go into settings, apps, in the top click all. Tap on a service/app and you will see which ones you can disable. I was able to disable the acer folders, the weather app, about a dozen services. It is so nice.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    I have also disabled several apps using the method I explained above.

-end of line-
    Welcome To AcerTabletForum
    Please feel free to PM me if you need any help

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RobKort View Post
    I have also disabled several apps using the method I explained above.

-end of line-
    He didn't say you hadn't done it your way as well..........

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I tried one the way Rob explained. Cool. You just can't get to the services that way. I'm continuing to disable 1 thing at a time until I find the bare min. that is needed. Then I'll post a list of everything I disabled. It sure speeds up the ole' A500. Puts some life back into them.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dceremuga View Post
    I tried one the way Rob explained. Cool. You just can't get to the services that way. I'm continuing to disable 1 thing at a time until I find the bare min. that is needed. Then I'll post a list of everything I disabled. It sure speeds up the ole' A500. Puts some life back into them.
    I like that the method suggested by Rob only takes three screen taps from start to end, where the settings route takes at least six operations. The typical user should stick to Rob's method, because there is less risk of disabling something that could cause problems. Some problems caused by this may be too subtle for simple testing to detect, but could cause significant problems and confusion later on.

... so in answer to the original post about what can be disabled and not cause problems... The answer is.... Everything ...and Nothing.

It depends on what functionality you need or want, and in some cases, that is hard to tell by looking at a service or app name. Games and commercial apps are an easy target, after that, the impacts can be subtle, and you may find yourself trying to figure out why some apps you want are not working properly later on -- either not working at all, or missing partial functionality. I also think that the greatest benefit to this is jsut getting the app off your app screen and out of sight. The effects on system resources and performance are relatively trivial though.

I have disabled a handful of apps, but no services. If you are not sure what it does, and all that it does, the rule of thumb should be don't mess with it. As soon as I saw the option I thought "Thats cool, I like that." I also thought immediatly how problematic it can be if not used very carefully. I fully expect to start seeing posts over the next few months from folks who got carried away, and some app or function does not work correctly, or their system becomes unstable because some maintenance is not being performed.

Just clicking "disable" and then thinking it's OK if your tablet does not explode within a few hours or days is not an adequate way to research/evaluate this. You may have to look at some OS source code to detemine much of this safely.

If you are concerned about system performance, you can run a performance monitor like Watchdog or OS Monitor, and study that for problems, then if you have something that just seems to be wasting resources, you can research that, and determine whether or not you wish to disable it.

In general though for the a500, the practice of disabling system provided services, and even some apps will not return even a trivially noticable measure of system resources. It is more likely to cause problems for typical users who don't know how to research the impacts adequately, and in many cases, simply have no access to essential information to make such a call.
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 05-16-2012 at 08:10 AM.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    I have safely disabled quite a few.
    Knowing your tablet and what you use it for helps. Once I disable something I just run through the must use apps and functions. If everything works ok then most likely it is fine.
    My must work list is
    Movies
    Music
    File Explorer
    USB access
    External SD Card access
    Citrix Receiver
    Email
    Camera
    Evernote
    Calendar

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Bah, no sense of curiosity and tweaking . I've notice quite a change after disabling a lot of the acer services. Noticable reduction in stuttering and lag. This is from a clean slate. So sure, people don't have to touch it, but I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrhelper View Post
    I like that the method suggested by Rob only takes three screen taps from start to end, where the settings route takes at least six operations. The typical user should stick to Rob's method, because there is less risk of disabling something that could cause problems. Some problems caused by this may be too subtle for simple testing to detect, but could cause significant problems and confusion later on.

... so in answer to the original post about what can be disabled and not cause problems... The answer is.... Everything ...and Nothing.

It depends on what functionality you need or want, and in some cases, that is hard to tell by looking at a service or app name. Games and commercial apps are an easy target, after that, the impacts can be subtle, and you may find yourself trying to figure out why some apps you want are not working properly later on -- either not working at all, or missing partial functionality. I also think that the greatest benefit to this is jsut getting the app off your app screen and out of sight. The effects on system resources and performance are relatively trivial though.

I have disabled a handful of apps, but no services. If you are not sure what it does, and all that it does, the rule of thumb should be don't mess with it. As soon as I saw the option I thought "Thats cool, I like that." I also thought immediatly how problematic it can be if not used very carefully. I fully expect to start seeing posts over the next few months from folks who got carried away, and some app or function does not work correctly, or their system becomes unstable because some maintenance is not being performed.

Just clicking "disable" and then thinking it's OK if your tablet does not explode within a few hours or days is not an adequate way to research/evaluate this. You may have to look at some OS source code to detemine much of this safely.

If you are concerned about system performance, you can run a performance monitor like Watchdog or OS Monitor, and study that for problems, then if you have something that just seems to be wasting resources, you can research that, and determine whether or not you wish to disable it.

In general though for the a500, the practice of disabling system provided services, and even some apps will not return even a trivially noticable measure of system resources. It is more likely to cause problems for typical users who don't know how to research the impacts adequately, and in many cases, simply have no access to essential information to make such a call.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links