• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What all can be disabled and the tablet still function properly

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    I've be very carefully of what you disable there. You can easily render your tab useless if you disable the wrong thing.

-end of line-
    Mrhelper likes this.
    Welcome To AcerTabletForum
    Please feel free to PM me if you need any help

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Have you disabled the Acer Content folders? because ive found them to eat up battery and cpu.
    Woe to those poor souls that know neither victory nor defeat, those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight. -Theodore Roosevelt

Moral: Nothing ventured in life, nothing gained!

Acer Iconia A500

Twitter - #LordZilo

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LordZilo View Post
    Have you disabled the Acer Content folders? because ive found them to eat up battery and cpu.
    The Acer Content folders are the Acer "drawers" I was referring to, I have disabled them.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2
    Usually on my Acer a500

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    This has all been helpful I have dumped a lot of clutter on our numerous tabs, including the Galaxy. I will especially like not being nagged to update apps I don't use or want.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AuntieParticle View Post
    The Acer Content folders are the Acer "drawers" I was referring to, I have disabled them.

ah

Woe to those poor souls that know neither victory nor defeat, those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight. -Theodore Roosevelt

Moral: Nothing ventured in life, nothing gained!

Acer Iconia A500

Twitter - #LordZilo

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    So far I think everyone is on the right track. The only thing I have re-enabled is the Acer Registration. I "think" that this program affects how the tablet is identified to google store. After re-enabling it, some quirkiness went away.
    2 x A500 16gb
    2 x iPad 3 64gb

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    Some of us have been having a little fun with this, and I actually had 32 apps disabled at one point. Even though I was very careful to avoid disabling core services, I have found that disabling some of the most innocent looking apps can cause undesirable effects. For example, I disabled "Downloads" because I use ES File Explorer. I then tested to see that I could still download files. No problem, that still worked OK.

Then I started a download on a larger file. I decided, to see if I could still stop the download by using Settings-->Storage-->Downloads.

I was not surprised to learn that it was a link to the Downloads app, which was disabled.

The settings control panel crashed as soon as I hit the Downloads button. I did not expect that -- though I probably should have. Maybe this one was a bit too obvious, but the warning I take from this is that the impacts of disabling certain apps may be subtle, and misleading.

The great majority of these apps don't run unless you actually use some service from them anyway. If they do, then they just do some quick job and then spend a little time in the background before being flushed, using very little or no CPU. What I have found is that in most cases, all that disabling any of these apps typically does is take them off of your app menu. Someone posted that this also stops the update notifications. I just don't see that many updates on any of these apps, so for me, this is a very trivial gain to risk causing app problems, and possibly even system instability.

I think I've had enough of this fun, and I'm going to turn more apps back on. I don't want to wind up with some problem that I spend hours trying to solve, only to find out it was caused by some seemingly unrelated app I thought I could safely disable.

After playing around with this for a while, I'm even more convinced that just trying to disable whatever you can is generally of little value, relatively high in risk, and not really what the option was designed for. I think it may be very useful if you have an app that is crashing repeatedly, or wasting resources, and you have taken time to prove that with objective monitoring of system resource usage, vs. seat of the pants observations.

Now having said all of that, I'll still probably leave some obvious apps disabled like the games, zinio, and the useless weather widgets, but I'm going to resist the urge to clobber anything that I think I might be able to get away with. Once you get started on something like this, it's easy to get carried away.
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 05-25-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links