• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What all can be disabled and the tablet still function properly

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dceremuga View Post
    Bah, no sense of curiosity and tweaking . I've notice quite a change after disabling a lot of the acer services. Noticable reduction in stuttering and lag. This is from a clean slate. So sure, people don't have to touch it, but I am.
    I hear that! You are absolutely right! What's the point if you can't play a little. That's half (or most) of the reason for even having a computer.

My post was more for those who might skip through here, think they could disable a bunch of services with their eyes closed, and then complain that ICS was broken when something they disabled causes some function of some seemingly unrelated app to fail. People who experiment like you are doing though tend to be able to dig themselves back out if there is trouble. The handy factory data reset is one of my favorite tools.

I had already disabled about 23 apps (from Acer Media to Zinio) mostly to get them out of the app list, only a couple like Acer Media, Talk, Talkback, and some clock widgets had ever run anyway.

I suspect your performance results may be a little overstated though. This thing typically has plenty of CPU left over (at least when you've not installed a bad app from the market, or parked certain browsers in the background with open pages). I did not see that much CPU time on processes that I was not actually interested in. It's probably more the feel you get after waxing your car really nice, perfectly detailed, RainX on the windshield, where it seems to slip through the air just a little faster.

Either way, it's good.
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 05-16-2012 at 06:07 PM.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Touche' !!

BTW, I finally found a fix to my finger magnet non-slippery glass problem I have on both tablets. I guess close to a year of use wore off the slick surface. I've tried RainX, and other chemicals, only to find they are a quick fix. Turtle wax has a completely liquid clear wax (I think it's called liquid ice) that you can even put on plastics. It's been about a month and the glass surfaces are super slick and don't fingerprint much at all. They slide better than the ipads.

As Mrhelper is smart to point out, if you aren't prepared to mess up your tablet, don't try anything we experiment with!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrhelper View Post
    I hear that! You are absolutely right! What's the point if you can't play a little. That's half (or most) of the reason for even having a computer.

My post was more for those who might skip through here, think they could disable a bunch of services with their eyes closed, and then complain that ICS was broken when something they disabled causes some function of some seemingly unrelated app to fail. People who experiment like you are doing though tend to be able to dig themselves back out if there is trouble. The handy factory data reset is one of my favorite tools.

I had already disabled about 23 apps (from Acer Media to Zinio) mostly to get them out of the app list, only a couple like Acer Media, Talk, Talkback, and some clock widgets had ever run anyway.

I suspect your performance results may be a little overstated though. This thing typically has plenty of CPU left over (at least when you've not installed a bad app from the market, or parked certain browsers in the background with open pages). I did not see that much CPU time on processes that I was not actually interested in. It's probably more the feel you get after waxing your car really nice, perfectly detailed, RainX on the windshield, where it seems to slip through the air just a little faster.

Either way, it's good.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I have a couple questions about disabling preinstalled apps. Will they be automatically reenabled each time there is a new OTA Android version update? Will disabling them effect getting future OTA updates?

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2
    Usually on my Acer a500

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    And I also have a question, if I disable an app, is there any way re re-enable it without having to fdr?

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mamawm View Post
    And I also have a question, if I disable an app, is there any way re re-enable it without having to fdr?
    Well I can answer this one at least Just scroll down the list of ALL apps in settings you will see the disabled ones at the bottom. Select the one(s) you want to reenable and choose enable.

mamawm likes this.
    Usually on my Acer a500

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    I guess they would stay disabled, and you will have to enable them for the update to install properly. It might cause system errors if they are not. Are least that's what I would do.

-end of line-
    mamawm likes this.
    Welcome To AcerTabletForum
    Please feel free to PM me if you need any help

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    One thing I would delete is clear.fi

Woe to those poor souls that know neither victory nor defeat, those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight. -Theodore Roosevelt

Moral: Nothing ventured in life, nothing gained!

Acer Iconia A500

Twitter - #LordZilo

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AuntieParticle View Post
    Well I can answer this one at least Just scroll down the list of ALL apps in settings you will see the disabled ones at the bottom. Select the one(s) you want to reenable and choose enable.

thank you very much.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RobKort View Post
    I guess they would stay disabled, and you will have to enable them for the update to install properly. It might cause system errors if they are not. Are least that's what I would do.

-end of line-
    Thanks, fortunately my disable list is fairly short - just a few preinstalled games and the stupid Acer drawers.

Usually on my Acer a500

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Also that TegraZone app is bloatware too
    Woe to those poor souls that know neither victory nor defeat, those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight. -Theodore Roosevelt

Moral: Nothing ventured in life, nothing gained!

Acer Iconia A500

Twitter - #LordZilo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links