• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Quote Originally Posted by adammhaile View Post
    I don't know what the numbers are during actual use... and those would be hard to compare from one user to another. All I know is that I was loosing 10% or more during standby, whereas now I loose less than 1% during the same period of time with the device not in use.

Sure, the cell standby issue may be a problem while actually using it... but it had looked like a lot of people were complaining that they were loosing battery life while doing absolutely nothing with the tablet... which was my biggest concern as well.

Just trying to help...

Not trying to down-play your help. It is appreciated. It is just there are so many variable involved in this. How exactly do we know if the cell standby is actually draining the battery. Is it just something that shows up in the battery stats due to the software version??? Acer needs to address it either way because battery life should be so much better.

Acer Iconia A500 - Rooted

Droid X - Rooted - Apex 1.4.1

Asus Transformer - Stock

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I took the tape off of my A501 and with a small flashlight and sharp eyes, looked inside. Nothing but air. Drop a card in there and it will fall into nothingness and then rattle about until you send it back to Acer.
    I had to put a piece of tape back so I wouldn't put my micro SD card in the wrong slot!

I wish Acer would address this one of these days....

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    And see that's what I don't get, I really haven't looked at mine yet just cause don't wanna mess with it just yet but people at Acer keeps telling me I can put a sim card in with no problem with the model and sn number I have. I got my tab at BB so maybe I should go in there to there GS and see what they say cause I really don't wanna have to send my tab in LoL Oh well..

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I spoke to the Swedish support today and they told me that the cell-standby is for wifi and GPS. It has nothing to do with 3g. Not on my unit. It's a A500. Not a A501 as it says under device infortmation. They also told me that it propably is a "missprint" this A501. Sad for me.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    mine also says A501 and 3g???? Very interesting indeed!!!!!!!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    A500

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The main about tab screen shows two a500 detailed but the device info sure does say a501mon mine, very weird.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    After the update mine now says A500 and Wifi...

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have an a500 - no 3G. Didn't want it.

No problems with battery here.
    From my A500

Douvie.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Okay I solved my battery standby issue on honeycomb!

Some background on my device: Rooted and flashed with virtuous picasso v.1.1.0 and the battery standby was shiety! i mean i was losing 2% an hour on stand by. So i'd only was able to go on standby for 24 hours max and that means hardly using the tablet at all. So this is what I did:

(this is the key) Installed Set CPU and created a profile for when the screen is off: min 216mhz and max 480mhz cpu (if you set the cpu max speed any lower the tablet will wake itself up and try to use the default speed randomly). when screen is on it's OC at 1200mhz max.
    put it on airplane mode,
    diabled all background auto sync,
    turned off GPS,
    turn off wifi when screen is off,
    and downloaded the power control plus that the poster i quoted mentioned and followed his steps to great a 2g 3g toggle. (see below)

I didn't want to do the phone.apk or telephony.apk rename/removal because i don't believe it will make a difference in battery life from everything i've read. i think the key is the set cpu profile to run very low while on standby.

So far so good. i will post additonal results tomm night.

on another note, i found that juice defender ultimate actually made me lose battery faster while on standby so i uninstalled it.

Quote Originally Posted by adammhaile View Post
    So, this just gets weirder...
    I also have an A500 that actually states that it's a 3G A501 and shows "Cell Standby" all the time.
    The weird this is that there seems to be no section for 3G settings in the settings panel in order to disable 3G completely.
    I even tried putting the tablet into airplane mode and re-enabling WiFi and then leaving it unplugged overnight. But there was still 10% battery drain and battery status showed more than 40% was "Cell Standby"

For my phone, I've always used a widget called "Power Control Plus" (About $2 in the market, but well worth it). It has a TON of mobile data related options in it so I installed it on my tablet, then created a new widget and added one of every of the 3G related options. In the end, all of the 3G toggles and such didn't do a darn thing, and the only one that got me any where was the "2G-3G" option.

So, here's what you do... Install "Power Control Plus", then create a new 1x1 widget and configure it to use the very first item in the option drop-down called "2G-3G".

No, click on the new widget and it will bring up a new dialog that I had never been able to get to from anywhere else, "Mobile Network Settings". It's not part of the main "Settings" panel, and actually just a floating dialog, with the following controls:
    "Data enabled"
    "Data Roaming"
    "Access Point Names"
    "Network Operators"

The only one that should be checked is "Data Enabled"... uncheck that box and then back out of the dialog.
    Strangely, in my testing, this didn't help unless I was also in Airplane mode (which did nothing on it's own). So, here's the settings I used.
    "Data Enabled" unchecked, Airplane Mode on, GPS off (from "Location and Security" the power control widget doesn't work), "WiFi Disconnect Mode" set to never.

I left it on and unplugged for a full 24 hours, and only lost 1% battery.
    When I had WiFi Disconnect set to always, it actually didn't loose any battery.

But here's the kicker... When you go to battery stats, it still shows "Cell Standby" and in my case it was at 58%!! But, not battery lose, so who cares.

I'm going to try again with GPS enabled, but from previous posts, I'm beginning to think that the key is no GPS, Data Disabled (from dialog mentioned above) AND Airplane Mode.

Also, from looking around, it seems that even some XOOM WiFi users have the same issue, so it seems that it may be a general Honeycomb issue. Maybe Google has it fixed in HC 3.1??

Anyways, hope that helps! Will keep testing different configurations every night just to be sure and report back if I find anything else of interest.
    Last edited by Mrazndead; 07-24-2011 at 11:19 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links