• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilbetterrun View Post
    LoL took them awhile but hey they tried. Now what I want to know but can't get from them is some people say they pulled back that tap and when they put the sim card in it went bye bye. Now was that cause it was just a A500 model or what cause I would love to know if this mean we can use a AT&T sim card unlimited 3G data for $20/month without contract and what size sim card. If anyone has any luck let use know asap, People at Acer just got me more amped up then I want to be right now LoL
    When you peel back the tape there is nothing but an empty space where a sim card receiver would be installed in the AT&T version. My take on it all is the wifi and 3G versions are one in the same minus the sim card receiver.

Acer Iconia A500 - Rooted

Droid X - Rooted - Apex 1.4.1

Asus Transformer - Stock

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Hm... They said with my SN number and SNID number you could insert the sim card to the slot properly and remove them by the spring locking mechanism.

1. Open SIM/Micro-SD card cover.
    2. Install and secure SIM card.
    3 Close and secure SIM/Micro-SD card cover.

So if I listen to them LoL but doesn't work do they fix it...
    See I really don't care if I can or can't I just would like to know for sure if it is something I can use. If not I'll keep doing what I'm doing with it

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilbetterrun View Post
    Hm... They said with my SN number and SNID number you could insert the sim card to the slot properly and remove them by the spring locking mechanism.

1. Open SIM/Micro-SD card cover.
    2. Install and secure SIM card.
    3 Close and secure SIM/Micro-SD card cover.

So if I listen to them LoL but doesn't work do they fix it...
    See I really don't care if I can or can't I just would like to know for sure if it is something I can use. If not I'll keep doing what I'm doing with it

Well go ahead and peel back the piece of tape next to the SD card slot and see what is behind it. I haven't taken mine off but from my understanding there is nothing behind it and the sim card would just drop inside if you try to insert it..

Asus Transformer - Stock

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    LoL Man! I just got off the phone with Acer since I talked to my friend who works at staples and said the model I have will work with no problems using a sim card. Well Acer said Sr I know you will not have a problem with this since I see your snid and sn # are for using a sim card. So I asked about people losing there card in the tablet cause the sim card hardware was missing and again Sr this will not be a problem for you and if anything like this does happen you can call and we will get that fixed for you. So I guess since this baby is still new and I don't have a lot of stuff on it I will try it out when I get a sim card, and if it falls in they we get a big phone call back LoL And to think if I would have got the Xoom from verizon I wouldn't get to have this much fun
    Last edited by Devilbetterrun; 05-15-2011 at 12:46 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Cool Figured out how to stop the battery drain...

So, this just gets weirder...
    I also have an A500 that actually states that it's a 3G A501 and shows "Cell Standby" all the time.
    The weird this is that there seems to be no section for 3G settings in the settings panel in order to disable 3G completely.
    I even tried putting the tablet into airplane mode and re-enabling WiFi and then leaving it unplugged overnight. But there was still 10% battery drain and battery status showed more than 40% was "Cell Standby"

For my phone, I've always used a widget called "Power Control Plus" (About $2 in the market, but well worth it). It has a TON of mobile data related options in it so I installed it on my tablet, then created a new widget and added one of every of the 3G related options. In the end, all of the 3G toggles and such didn't do a darn thing, and the only one that got me any where was the "2G-3G" option.

So, here's what you do... Install "Power Control Plus", then create a new 1x1 widget and configure it to use the very first item in the option drop-down called "2G-3G".

No, click on the new widget and it will bring up a new dialog that I had never been able to get to from anywhere else, "Mobile Network Settings". It's not part of the main "Settings" panel, and actually just a floating dialog, with the following controls:
    "Data enabled"
    "Data Roaming"
    "Access Point Names"
    "Network Operators"

The only one that should be checked is "Data Enabled"... uncheck that box and then back out of the dialog.
    Strangely, in my testing, this didn't help unless I was also in Airplane mode (which did nothing on it's own). So, here's the settings I used.
    "Data Enabled" unchecked, Airplane Mode on, GPS off (from "Location and Security" the power control widget doesn't work), "WiFi Disconnect Mode" set to never.

I left it on and unplugged for a full 24 hours, and only lost 1% battery.
    When I had WiFi Disconnect set to always, it actually didn't loose any battery.

But here's the kicker... When you go to battery stats, it still shows "Cell Standby" and in my case it was at 58%!! But, not battery lose, so who cares.

I'm going to try again with GPS enabled, but from previous posts, I'm beginning to think that the key is no GPS, Data Disabled (from dialog mentioned above) AND Airplane Mode.

Also, from looking around, it seems that even some XOOM WiFi users have the same issue, so it seems that it may be a general Honeycomb issue. Maybe Google has it fixed in HC 3.1??

Anyways, hope that helps! Will keep testing different configurations every night just to be sure and report back if I find anything else of interest.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    @adammhaile: I actually tried using a 3G toggle several weeks ago. Of course it did not help. Your theory about no battery loss sounds good, but think of it this way. The 58% cell standby loss is only 58% of what was used. So if you only lost say 2% in 24 hours, 58% of that 2% was from cell standby. When you are under normal use it is still a percentage of the total used. So if in a four hour period of constant use you lose say 50%, and 40% of that is from cell standby that is not good.

I'm going to try again with GPS enabled, but from previous posts, I'm beginning to think that the key is no GPS, Data Disabled (from dialog mentioned above) AND Airplane Mode.
    Of course it will work with airplane mode enabled. Airplane mode cuts all data off. Sure you will not get battery drain or especially cell standby drain, but you aren't really getting much use out of your tablet with all data disabled. Basically it will be just a game, movie and music player. Which I guess would work for some people.

Asus Transformer - Stock

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I think you missed the point...
    When I didn't have the "Data Enabled" toggle unchecked, it would still show 40%ish Cell Standby, but still had Airplane mode on, GPS disabled and WiFi ENABLED (remember, WiFi has been enabled this whole time... so I still have internet), but I would loose more than 10% battery overnight... but after disabling data with that mobile data dialog, and leaving everything else on... including WiFi to NEVER turn off, I loss less than 1% in 24 hours. It still shows more than 40-50% Cell Standby, but doesn't actually lose any of the battery charge. Point being that I don't really think the Cell Standby numbers, in this case are correct.

I've still got internet the whole time and since it never had 3G it works just as it did before... just without the battery lose while the tablet is not in use.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Quote Originally Posted by adammhaile View Post
    I think you missed the point...
    When I didn't have the "Data Enabled" toggle unchecked, it would still show 40%ish Cell Standby, but still had Airplane mode on, GPS disabled and WiFi ENABLED (remember, WiFi has been enabled this whole time... so I still have internet), but I would loose more than 10% battery overnight... but after disabling data with that mobile data dialog, and leaving everything else on... including WiFi to NEVER turn off, I loss less than 1% in 24 hours. It still shows more than 40-50% Cell Standby, but doesn't actually lose any of the battery charge. Point being that I don't really think the Cell Standby numbers, in this case are correct.

I've still got internet the whole time and since it never had 3G it works just as it did before... just without the battery lose while the tablet is not in use.

LOL. Yes I did get your point. And the only way to be able to tell if the cell standby numbers are correct, and are causing excessive battery drain is to find a way to positively disable it and then do a comparison. All I know is my battery goes pretty quick with moderate use. In about 3 hours of browsing and gaming yesterday I lost 50% battery. On my Xoom that number would have been alot less. Like around 20-30% at most.

Asus Transformer - Stock

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    So does anyone know yet about what kind of sim card to try or what it "takes" Acer didn't say if its a micro or not.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Garemlin View Post
    LOL. Yes I did get your point. And the only way to be able to tell if the cell standby numbers are correct, and are causing excessive battery drain is to find a way to positively disable it and then do a comparison. All I know is my battery goes pretty quick with moderate use. In about 3 hours of browsing and gaming yesterday I lost 50% battery. On my Xoom that number would have been alot less. Like around 20-30% at most.
    I don't know what the numbers are during actual use... and those would be hard to compare from one user to another. All I know is that I was loosing 10% or more during standby, whereas now I loose less than 1% during the same period of time with the device not in use.

Sure, the cell standby issue may be a problem while actually using it... but it had looked like a lot of people were complaining that they were loosing battery life while doing absolutely nothing with the tablet... which was my biggest concern as well.

Just trying to help...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links