• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: moving apps to a micro SD card

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    i have been using link2sd on my evo 1st gen for 2yrs and its a great app and i just picked up my a200 in march and just rooted today so i could move apps to sd and still not able to do so still working on a solution. just want to say i just joined the forum today so i could roor my a200 it took 10min thanks forum.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    If you want, you can do the external-sd - internal memory swap so that your external sd becomes the internal memory where you can place apps and their associated data.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbulb View Post
    If you want, you can do the external-sd - internal memory swap so that your external sd becomes the internal memory where you can place apps and their associated data.
    New owner of an A500 here - is the external sd/internal memory swap hard to do? Do you have a step-by-step guide on how to do so? I haven't rooted yet (just bought it Friday on the Office Depot $199 deal) and may not root it for several months, but I'm curious, of course. I'm afraid to root with almost 12 full months of warranty left...

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    While using Link2SD, you have to partition the SD with one partition as ext2 or ext3 and other as FAT (if it has more than 4G its recommenden this to be a FAT32).

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Talking about moving things to SD cards is their a way to get ice cream sandwich on a 32 gig SD card and then putting it on a Acer iconia s300 smartphone as I've just got one and really want ice cream sandwich on it

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Not just Honeycomb, I have the same problem with ICS.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobKort View Post
    You can't move apps to an external SD card. Stock Android OS won't allow it. The external SD card is merely for files, pictures, music, and video. To be able to move then to the external SD you will have to root the tab which essentially voids you're warranty.

-end of line-

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I believe it was a design decision by Google. When the need to move apps to the SD was desired most devices came with as little as 2 GB of internal storage. Most devices now have a minimum 16 GB of internal storage. If you think about it, 16 GB is a LOT of apps. It was a simplification of the code because the need for the feature has gone away. I've had my Acer (it's a 16 GB a500) for 18 months and have yet to run out of internal space (except when Google Music cached to the internal memory and filled it up). I have about 1/3 free right now (4.7 of 12.7 GB)

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I have an 8GB A500 and internal isn't full, but there's only 2GB available and with some of these new games taking up close to 2GB, not being able to move apps to the external SD is a problem. I rooted my tablet in part to gain the ability to move apps, but I'm still not having any luck. I think the app I'm trying is App2SD and it finds certain apps that it says can be moved, but it can't find the external SD card for some reason. Really frustrating. If that internal/external swap trick works, I might have to go that route.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    73 times
    The issue mostly is with Android and how it handles external storage, and the fact that each OEM handles it differently.

Acer has it in the /mnt/External/ directory I believe.
    Asus has it in the /Removable/ directory.
    Motorola is in the /Storage/ if I recall.

There is no set place of where the external storage is, and I also think that even 8 GB of storage for apps should be more than enough for most users (I have about 3 GB used on my tablet for apps). Granted, if you hoard apps and install every free one, you may run out of room. I found my tablet runs much smoother with fewer apps installed. If I have not used an app for a while, I will give it das boot.
    Mrhelper likes this.
    Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munchin on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene. - Homer Jay Simpson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links