• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Task Killers... The Answer from Google & Developers

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    178 times

Task Killers... The Answer from Google & Developers

I merely copied and pasted this info here and claim no credit to it.

In response to the vast amount of questions regarding Task Killers, I find this to be a valuable article/video in making a determination in whether or not to use a task killer on 'auto-kill' or manually killing apps just because they're open. A task killer is meant to shut down unresponsive apps, not EVERYTHING open.

Good explanation of how the Android OS is designed to handle applications.

Make your decision from there

PLEASE READ THIS!!!

SystemPanel Documentation | android.nextapp.com

*quick cut & paste from the link*
    from the developer who designed System Panel.

Please read this section FIRST. There are a great many misconceptions about how Android works with regard to
    starting and stopping applications.

How to Use a Task Manager
    Android was designed from the ground up as an operating system (OS) for mobile devices. Its built-in application and memory-management systems were engineered with battery life as one of the most critical concerns.
    The Android OS does not work like a desktop operating system. On a desktop OS, like Windows, Mac OS X, or Ubuntu Linux, the user is responsible for closing programs in order to keep a reasonable amount of memory available. On Android, this is not the case. The OS itself automatically removes programs from memory as memory is needed. The OS may also preload applications into memory which it thinks might soon be needed.
    Having lots of available empty memory is not a good thing. It takes the same amount of power to hold "nothing" in memory as it does to hold actual data. So, like every other operating system in use today, Android does its best to keep as much important/likely-to-be-used information in memory as possible.
    As such, using the task manager feature of SystemPanel to constantly clear memory by killing all apps is strongly NOT RECOMMENDED. This also applies to any other task killer / management program. Generally speaking, you should only "End" applications if you see one which is not working correctly. The "End All" feature can be used if your phone/device is performing poorly and you are uncertain of the cause.

Process Types
    The SystemPanel process listing groups applications into three categories: "Active", "Inactive", and "Internal":

Active applications are actually running at the present time on the device. An active application may be running in the background and not have any information currently displayed on the screen.

Inactive applications have been preloaded into memory, but are not actually using up any system resources. Such applications will not consume any battery power whatsoever. The memory used by these applications can be immediately reclaimed should other applications require it. As such, there is no need to manually remove these applications, as you will see no tangible benefit from doing so.
    Internal applications are those which are part of the Android operating system itself. Some of these applications may be terminated manually, but they will be immediately restarted afterward by the OS."

Now the video from Google.
    * Originally posted by Renthor @ DxF *

I highly recommend people, especially those new to Android, watch the Androidology series of videos put out by Google themselves. In particular, part 2 does a great job of explaining how Android (and really Linux) is different then most people's OS experience.

Here's the link to part 2, "Application Lifecycle"

Bear in mind these videos are aimed at developers, but the gist of it is still applicable to everyone.

After watching the whole Androidology series, I decided to let the OS do its thing with killing/running apps and processes. I have a task killer installed only to kill unresponsive apps that the OS can't kill for whatever reason (which by the way, is a fault generally of the app's developer(s). Not the phone or OS). And the Android OS actually comes with it's own "Task Killer" for this purpose, I just prefer to have easy "one-tap" (or close to it) access to such things.

Here's the rest if you're interested (highly recommended. Especially if you're a dev) Videos | Android Developers

Originally posted by Martin030908 on Droid Forums
    Last edited by RobKort; 01-12-2012 at 05:12 PM.
    Welcome To AcerTabletForum
    Please feel free to PM me if you need any help

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Thanks for the info.

I tend to use some form of "end all" from times to times when my device becomes particularly slow and starts lagging. Sometimes it's the wifi connection which is the culprit and I must disable and re-enable it to gain back my full connection speed. Not sure why it does that.

I understand the concept behind the way applications stack is managed. My understanding is that it looks a little like Windows and the way it manages the swapping of applications to disk when physical ram is required to run an application. The difference being when you run out of "swap space", you must close some applications to continue as opposed to Android which simply kill and restart applications as required.

But what about the cache used by each application? Is there any speed benefit for the front-end application in clearing the cache of all those applications no more required but still using cache memory in the background?

And what if many "active" background applications are running grabbing cpu time and slowing down your main front-end application? How do you find those active applications within the Android system?
    Last edited by Frankm99; 01-12-2012 at 11:44 PM.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    @Frankm99 -- you can find CPU total times in Settings -> About Tablet -> Battery Use -> tapping any item using your battery.
    However, it appears that I can't find a way to find CPU total times for all background apps -- just apps that are eating the battery

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    @eatnos,

Thanks for the reply.

I found Android Assistant on the market which seems to report active process and the cpu and memory they are using. I'm still trying to figure out various parts of it.

Here is the link, lots of tools in that app.

https://market.android.com/details?i...processmanager
    eatnosenuggets likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    I don't think you really *need* something like this - on an Android phone, or a tablet - but if it works for you and you're happy then that's all that matters.
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for AcerTabletForum.com

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    I certainly wouldn't run an automatic task killer, but the native app management or another task killer app is handy for reclaiming your device from an app that has seized or otherwise marring your performance..use judiciously, not wholesale.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    good info,thanks

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    i used that on my HTC evo4g and it worked great!

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have several devices and I use app cache clean on all of them. I go into browser settings and clear cache and cookies atleast every couple days. Can tell a decent difference in browser performance . I don't use any task killers on any of my devices. If I have an issue with an app that I cannot deal with or causing a drain or lock up issues I just delete it.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Not so much on a tablet, but phones do have differences. I suppose it depends on what the carrier adds to the phone. I have both a Nexus S and a SGS4G. The Nexus bought unlocked, the SGS through TMO, subsequently unlocked. Mostly same apps on both phones. Some apps on the SGS4G will not stop when exited. The same apps quit totally on the Nexus.
    So I'm assuming that even though both phones are unlocked and rooted (SGS4G to get rid of carrier bloat) there's still something in system controlling behavior. I did not install custom ROM. The same for the Nexus S.

It would be interesting to see if this is the case with tablets that have carrier connections instead of just wifi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links