• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Crappy Microphone?

One of the few apps installed on my tablet was "Fring". App works fine. Microphone seems to be an issue. Constant tapping and hissing noise. Video recordings are the sae without the tapping. Anyone else experiencing very poor microphone performance? Have 5 days to decide if this is a keeper or return to Best Buy.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I used the voice recorder which preloaded in the iconia, the sound is loud and clear. I think this is a good tablet without microphone problem. Maybe you took a defect unit and should go for exchange.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    I thought I was experiencing crappy mic performance, but in my case it turned out to be the Acer brand case I had put on the tablet didn't have a hole for the microphone.

Turns out they manufactured the case with the holes for the mic on the back instead of the front where the mic is located.

It is right where the black meets the silver at the top center of the display. A tiny little rectangular hole. Use a magnifying glass . . . I had to, but then I'm an old fart.
    --- When all else fails, there's Linux.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    According to the specs/owners manual, the Tab has: Dual microphone with noise and echo cancellation. I can find no indication where it (they?) may be on the Tab other than as one contact in the headphone jack. I can see the small slot between the glass and the frame center top, and it is possibly one microphone.

Update: I've done a couple of recordings and it sounds like the best pickup is top center of the front, right where the little slot is between glass and frame. I get no pickup from the back side, even when recording video using the back camera. I don't have a headphone/mic to try, but that may be the best way to get decent audio for Fring.
    Last edited by 4DThinker; 05-22-2011 at 07:15 PM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Im having the exact issue with the microphone.
    Volume is very low on it, and no matter what I do, it remains very low - unless i pull the tablet right upto my lips and speak into the mic, which is a bit awkward!

Is this issue inherent with all a500s? Or is it that I have a defective unit, and can potentially replaced it at best buy as i have a day or 2 after which they will not accept returns....

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I've posted about the crappy Mic soon after getting my A500....which was the day it was released. It seems the Mic is under the bezel. The noise cancelling Mic is in or near the SIM card slot. The placement of the Mic under the bezel is plain stupid. Google Voice search can't understand what I'm saying unless I put the unit right up to my mouth. Not so good if video chatting with someone. I pre-ordered the Toshiba Thrive which is set to be released this Sunday. I'm hoping that does better than the Acer.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    In that case this is going back to best buy.

I wonder though, is this the case with every a500 model? how come Acer support is not aware of this?
    I have googled for this issue, and aside from a select few, nobody else seems to be complaining?

I wonder if certain models were made with this issue, and certain ones that were not?

Or is this a software issue that is remedied with the new honeycomb unpdate that just got rolled out?

Can anyone confirm?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have lousy mic volume and it wasn't improved with the update to 3.1

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I would take it back and see if you have luck on the next one. My microphone has great sound quality.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Mine works great for voice recognition. I turned down the gain for calls and it helped with the echo. I'd still use a headset if I use it more for calling.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links