• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What are the Major or Compelling Reasons to Root your Tablet??????

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    has nothing to do with being a nerd with a pocket protector, you either know rooting, roms and such or you don't. I've been rooting since Sprint 1st got the HTC Hero, which was quite along time ago. I started reading forums then and started to understand them. Have been reading them ever since.
    Devices:
    Iconia A200-stock for now
    Samsung Galaxy S3 ROM:Chemistry KERNAL:Agat RECOVERY:TWRP
    HTC EVO LTE 4g S-OFF(DirtyRacun) ROM:RLS1-Operation Jellybean KERNAL:Elementalx-EVO-4.2 RECOVERY:TWRP
    Viewsonic G-Tab ROM: G-HarmonyICS v6 RECOVERY:modified CWM

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the comprehensive explanation. I have never had an android phone but can see the benefits of rooting one as with jailbreaking an iphone.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gte105u View Post
    There are certain apps out there that can only work on rooted devices. You can trim down the running processes, or install a different version of Android altogether. Once Ice Cream Sandwich gets going in some ROMs you will see people getting that onto their devices before it is released to us officially. You can back up your entire disk image with Titanium Backup which requires root. Otherwise, I have not found a lot of reason to root the tablet. There is not much bloat, but if you rooted you could get it off. The bad part is if you root you cannot factory update without going back to stock. Also if something breaks and you need warranty service you need to go back to stock or risk it being rejected.

I don't think the answer before was being a smart___. It is probably correct, if you need to ask why you should root then you probably don't need to root. The reason to root is you want to do something that can only be done by rooting. That is only for the top level user, the majority will not see much benefit on this device. I have mine stock and really have not come across a compelling reason to be unhappy with it.

Bravo! Great answer! That's what I was looking for. Thanks!

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Some of us root some things, but not others. Rooting doesn't always add value, and I think that was what the person who asked wanted to know. For instance, I rooted my iPod, but not my iPad. I rooted my Android phones, but might not want to root the A500 unless there are compelling reasons, as was asked. I did find that my rooted Android phone using a 3rd party ROM is not as reliable as it was when it was stock. I have had to completely rebuild my phone's content multiple times since rooting due to various problems.

The main reason for rooting my phone was to allow a greater use of the SD card for applications and data vs. how the phone originally operated. Since my phone was only 1GB of internal memory, mostly used by the OS, I was left with only 100MB or so for applications. Since I have ordered an A500 with only 8GB, I am concerned I will have a similar problem with the A500, but have been told that Honeycomb doesn't support the APPS2SD type applications or other methods to move applications and data (or cache) to the SD card.

Would be interested in finding out if a rooted capability or application will allow "normal" Gingerbread style use of the SD or not.

I have an 8GB A500 and a 32GB Touchpad on order. If the 8GB is going to be a big issue that can't be worked around like on my phone, I might wish to cancel the A500 and put my energy into putting Android on the Touchpad instead.

If ICS overcomes the inhibitions on using the SD then I might get and keep the A500 as the Touchpad doesn't even have Honeycomb, never the less ICS. I heard ICS will allow you to remove system apps (bloatware) that you don't want, which would help, but that doesn't help as much as installing applications on the SD card.

Some clarification on just how the SD can be used on an A500, with or without rooting would be beneficial.

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tumpy View Post
    dont get me wrong but for being a mod
    the question fom the OP, you should have at least try and answer not quoting another member that is not an answer to his initial question..
    My response was an expansion and agreement of the initial thought expressed by joey, so I quoted joey..it was not intended to be a direct answer to the OP. I'm guilty of some 'thread drift', and of having an opinion, which is apparently unpopular.

Quote Originally Posted by Weedx View Post
    Welllllllll excuse me! Can I borrow you pocket protector????? I was just curious from a productivity standpoint. What is this forum for anyway? Thanks for the enlightment.
    Please take no offense, none was intended (and I was trying to be amusing rather than snooty). My post had an extra implication: rooting is a personal decision, and I think it's irresponsible for staff, and even members, to 'convince' anyone to root. I also had just come from the Kindle forum, where we see users complain about a WIFI DEVICE they've purchased now requires they purchase a wireless router, ask how to do that, what to buy and how to network their Kindle, then in the next breath ask why they 'need' to root it. I understand the desire for instant gratification, but at the cost of real growth and understanding, which often has unpleasant consequences. Anyway..I'm sorry I came off sounding that way, and I'm glad someone gave you a better answer.
    Isambard likes this.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I like to have control over things that I purchase. That's why I tend to like Android over iOS (reading above where someone rooted his iPod-- didn't know you could do that), Linux over Windows. I just got my A500. At this point I see no reason to root the tablet but I am very happy to know that I can. I also own a Droid X phone which I did root. The reason is that I needed to run an app which would take an exact screenshot of whatever was currently being displayed on the phone. (I'm developing an app for the Android phone -- and I needed to show my co-worker what our app is displaying under certain conditions). Unfortunately, that app only works on rooted Droid X phones, hence the requirement to root the phone. I had also wanted to get rid of all the junkware that Motorola stuck on my phone that was eating up a bunch of memory. The apps from Motorola are not uninstallable. But once you're rooted, they're bye-bye. I got rid of a few big apps and decided to not do any more until such time as I run low on memory. As the phone has 16gb I realized I was wasting some time zapping all those apps as I was not consuming anything near that amount of memory.

So unless/until I find a reason or need to do so, I won't bother rooting the tablet. But I do love the fact that I *can* do so.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    To ask questions is how you learn. Any one who asks should be answered and given the opportunity to learn. Certain subjects aren't limited to certain people. My greatest joy in life is to teach someone when they ask me.
    joeydownsouth likes this.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the back and forth on this subject. I'm new to android devices but not new to modding compies. I didn't quite understand what rooting was other than modding the OS somehow, and this has cleared things up.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I think rooting the tablet might be a good idea for everyone. I use an HTC evo thats rooted and let me tell you, having a recovery on your phone like clockwork really comes in handy. I like being able to play with my phone and not worry about messing it up thatnks to rooting and recovery.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    My phone is rooted my tablet is not. I might root the tablet after the ICS update or maybe not. The only reason I root is to remove bloatware...I keep the OS stock. I do notice dropped frames on Netflix and Google movies that may be the result of some app that is not really needed running in the background on my A500. After my experience with the A500 I would not buy another Acer product. My Fiance's Asus tablet is much better (especially with the keyboard).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links