• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 78 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Iconia A500 gets 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwhich upgrade.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Iconia A500 gets 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwhich upgrade.

I know its just a day after ICS was announced, but I want it. Does anyone have any rumors or anything about Acer upgrading us to ICS?

UPDATE: The Acer New Zealand officially announced via Facebook that the A500 will be officially receiving Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich in New Zealand and Australia:

Acer Announces Android 4.0 Release Timing For Iconia Tab A500

There is no official word from Acer stating whether or not the A500 will be receiving in other regions.
    Acer has not officially announced ICS upgrade information regarding the Iconia A100.

UPDATE: Acer America has officially announced via Twitter that both A500 AND A100 will be getting the upgrade to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Mid April:

https://twitter.com/#!/AcerAmerica/s...82823274815488

Word has yet come about countries other than America, Australia, and New Zealand.
    There is also no official word on whether or not the A100 will see ICS in Australia and New Zealand or other areas.

Mod edit: Stickying this post until rollout, at which time it may become unstickied, in favor of an 'Official ICS Rollout Thread'.

UPDATE: Official ICS builds for both the A500 and A100 leak:
    http://phandroid.com/2012/02/22/upco...medium=twitter

Users are reporting they are functional and stable!

UPDATE: Acer has now created a nifty little chart of which tablets will receive ICS, when and where:
    http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14634

LATEST UPDATE:

Acer has updated their ICS rollout chart. Acer is scheduled to start rolling ICS to the A500 April 27th in the US, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, and Latin America.

The A100 is scheduled to start getting ICS in the US April 27th. A100 owners in Mexico, Brazil and Latin America will be getting their ICS April 25th, two days before the US version. Canadian A100 users will have to wait until May 3rd for the ICS rollout on the A100.

The Acer Iconia A501 has no plans to receive ICS.
    Last edited by Lennatron; 04-18-2012 at 11:05 AM.
    unlockiphone5 likes this.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I have nothing to go off of but my gut... but I doubt it. Most companies worry more about developing the next product line over taking the old line over the hump. They figure if you want it badly enough you will buy a new one to get it.
    Acer Iconia Tab A500 | HTC Thunderbolt | Archos 70 250GB

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    while I agree to a point, this aint the apple market. like it or not Apple dominates the tablet industry. That leaves the other players with significant investment to date to grapple over the rest of the market.

One factor you are leaving out is market pressure. Who ever makes the decision at Acer will have to consider this
    ASUS Eee Pad Transfomer may be first Android Ice Cream Sandwich tablet

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    If I remember reading, the hardware requirements for ICS did not change, so our A500 can run it but from the video I saw of an Android game for ICS, there will be some features the extra cores (quad versus dual) will take advantage in making the gaming experience markedly better. The demo showed the same game running off 2 cores and it was rather choppy (the game generated textures on the fly and did a lot with lighting/shadows real time). All in all, I can't imagine non-gaming use of ICS will be that much different from HC. I suspect Acer will probably not release ICS for our A500 and we will more than likely rely on the devs. Still, I make that comment based on what I've seen with my other tablets--i.e. the companies ditching support of one product in preference for their newer model.

I guess time will tell.
    Epad, WPDN

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    ASUS says they plan to bring ICS to their first Trans tab but whether Acer will do the same with theirs is up for debate. I'm also of the opinion that we'll have to rely on independent developers to get a taste of ICS on our a500s. But until Google releases the source code, we'll have to wait on that for a bit.
    Acer Iconia A500:

ROM List | KERNEL List | RECOVERY List

​Current ROM:
    TegraOwners ICS v170

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The source code will be released weeks after the Galaxy Nexus and since it will be ported to CM9 I would hope a version of Cyanogen mod is made for all of the tablets out there considering the almost identical hardware it shouldnt be too hard.

JOYE 510

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hearing ASUS releasing ICS for Transformer 1 definitely says something about that company. I ended up buying another A500 recently but seriously considered a Transformer. With Transformer 2 coming, the price reduction was pretty attractive. I kinda regret the decision now. I do feel confident we'll get ICS, again, not through Acer but the devs. Acer not making a statement by now almost gives us our answer. This is one of those situations where I would love to be proven wrong.
    cthunder25 likes this.
    Epad, WPDN

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    I should know soon, just waiting on an email

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    My Sources say yes we will. There is nothing yet available but ICS just released. I would Imagine that Manufacturers like Acer will still have to port it to their hardware and that will take time.
    Not sure why they have not made a public statement to that fact. Since rival Asus has already stated publicly that they would release HC 3.2 to ICS updates

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks pyrate for the info. That is really good news, though I recall Viewsonic making a similar statement, even in an official capacity, and they have only officially supported the tablet through Froyo. I know Acer is not Viewsonic, but Viewsonic has definitely left a soured taste in the mouth of folks who invested in the tablet. Fingers crossed, will hope Acer makes a formal announcement soon. Thanks again for checking.
    Epad, WPDN

Page 1 of 78 1231151 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links