• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

A500 - 2 weeks of ownership

My assessment:
    This thing is great!
    I had an Archos 101, but returned it after stopping in to BB to see the Acer. No comparison. I have an Archos 70 and will keep it as the screen is actually very good. I am thrilled with Android 3 and the responsiveness is more than adequate for me. I know, some will say it's not an ipad and this and that, but I will not be returning this guy. Everything works for me and I can tether it to my Droid Incredible. What else matters with these credentials?

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I agree with your assessment.
    I too will be keeping it. Despite the random shut downs and random screen ons, it is a great machine.

Posted from my Moto Atrix on Tapatalk

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    is the random shutdown thing an Acer thing? Or tablets/honeycomb thing? (I'm having the same)

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Mine did the same thing when I first got it but there was some system update and after that it hasn't did it. I don't know how I got the update but I remember it did so they do have a fix for it.

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    My A500 has completely replaced my iPad after 4 days. I'm getting 1 1/2 days of battery life with heavy use - not quite as good as the iPad but perfectly acceptable. I've been buying at least one Honeycomb featured app a day. Most of my apps from my DroidX work fine on the A500 too.

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    My A500 has now taken up more of my attention than my iPad2 did. Very good hardware. The higher resolution screen along with Flash 10.3 makes web browsing much more pleasant than safari on the iPad. My wife also has an iPad 2 but has been keeping a keen eye on my A500 as well. I was intially worried the screen would look bad compared to the IPS Gorrilla glass screen on the Asus Transformer, but find it's an excellent LCD screen too. No problem sharing the screen, or seeing it a steep angles from any direction.
    Last edited by 4DThinker; 05-21-2011 at 08:49 AM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    4DThinker: Just an FYI. The A500 has a Gorilla Glass screen too. Just not an IPS display. But IMO the screen looks great even though it isn't an IPS. Colors are brighter and contrast is better than the Moto Xoom. And reading a comparison of the Acer and Asus the improvements that the IPS display brings are very slight. I actually have a Transformer on the way so I will be able to do my own comparison.

Acer Iconia A500 - Rooted

Droid X - Rooted - Apex 1.4.1

Asus Transformer - Stock

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Garemlin View Post
    4DThinker: Just an FYI. The A500 has a Gorilla Glass screen too. Just not an IPS display. ... I actually have a Transformer on the way so I will be able to do my own comparison.
    Where in what specs did you find the Gorilla Glass reference? Nice to know if true. I also have the Asus on order, but no indication of when they might ship it.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 4DThinker View Post
    Where in what specs did you find the Gorilla Glass reference? Nice to know if true. I also have the Asus on order, but no indication of when they might ship it.

It isn't in the specs. But is promoted by Corning who makes Gorilla Glass.

CORNING® GORILLA® GLASS | FEATURED PRODUCTS

Acer Iconia A500 - Rooted

Droid X - Rooted - Apex 1.4.1

Asus Transformer - Stock

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links