• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Find and/or wipe my stolen A500

Hi,
    I just had my precious brand new A500 stolen, I could use Latitude to see where the ****** was using it the night after but now it seems to be hidden.
    So for my next A500 I would like some suggestions on how to make it traceable or at least possible to wipe all my data and preferbly make it useless for anyone else in case it cannot be found, how would you do?

//Tom

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    how'd it get stolen from you?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrazndead View Post
    how'd it get stolen from you?
    Well I guess it was a classic case, I left it in the living room while sitting right outside the front door and someone sneaked in through the unlocked kitchen door. Luckily missing my wallet and Desire...

It was left powered on and no password activated.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Have you tried downloading Lookout to your Acer from the marketplace? It has locate as well as a wipe function.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob22025 View Post
    Have you tried downloading Lookout to your Acer from the marketplace? It has locate as well as a wipe function.
    No I haven't.
    I started looking for suitable apps after it got stolen but most of them seems to be developed for phones so any input on how well they work on the A500 would be appreciated. Do you have any experience?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Lookout has an app called plan b. You should be able to install it from web market

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by russell5 View Post
    Lookout has an app called plan b. You should be able to install it from web market

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

Thanks for that advise, have initiated the installation now and are hoping for the best...

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Update:
    Plan B has not yet given any result for the lost A500, guess it is either not working or (my!) Acer has not been used... we'll see if something happens within the next couple of days.

Good news is that my insurance actually will pay for the loss! So I rushed to the nearest store and picked up a new one, must admit that I have been missing it a bit... well.. a lot!
    So with the new one I started setting up a pin for the screen lock, next step, install Lookout. Once done I discovered that to locate or wipe the unit it requires a phone number... ehhh!
    So Lookout is obviously not a good choice for the A500, any other suggestions?

Would be good to hear if anyone has a successful story also...

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I was going to suggest GPS Tracker from InstaMapper - Free Real-Time GPS Tracking but I just checked the Market and it's not available (yet?) for Tablets. I have it on my EVO 4G and it works nice.

EDIT: There's an App called "Where Are You" that integrates with the InstaMapper software and supposedly this will work on tablets. I'm going to check it out.

https://market.android.com/details?i...also_installed
    Last edited by JoeRnCT; 08-09-2011 at 03:55 PM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob22025 View Post
    I see Plan B in the market, but not the regular Lookout. I use it on my gingerbread tablet and my phone and love it! Have you been able to get the regular Lookout installed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links