• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bj4crafts View Post
    I see Plan B in the market, but not the regular Lookout. I use it on my gingerbread tablet and my phone and love it! Have you been able to get the regular Lookout installed?
    Plan B is supposed to work with both tablets and phones, still no result for me though so I can't confirm that.

Lookout is not visible in market since it is not aimed for tablets but there is a work-around, check the reply from their support below for more details. Find & wipe will not work with tablets though!

--------------------------
    Yvette Kay, Aug-09 02:43 pm (PDT):
    Hi Tombom,
    The reason why you're having trouble finding Lookout in the market for your Android tablet is due to the fact that it doesn't support SMS messages. We rely on SMS messages to initiate a connection to a device in the event it's lost, stolen, etc. Without the ability to receive SMS messages the missing device features would be greatly hindered, however, device based backups and malware protection would work normally.
    Until we release a version that's more compatible with your tablet you can install it using this alternate method:
    The first thing you'll want to do is enable the installation of non-market applications. To do this:
    Go to settings > application > and check the box next to "Unknown Sources." Go ahead and disregard the warning (by clicking OK), we can uncheck it later.
    Next, back out of Settings and open up the web browser.
    In the address bar delete everything that's there and type this in (minus quotes): "m.getjar.com" and hit enter.
    Now click on "Android" under "Or, Choose your platform." This will bring you to another page where you will see a search box in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
    *Please note that if GetJar doesn't recognize your particular device just enter Android and selet any android device. If you are prompted to enter a phone number just enter "droid" (minus quotes).
    Tap the search box, to insert the cursor, and type "Lookout" and tap "go". The search will produce one result, which is "Lookout"
    Tap on the link "Lookout Mobile Security with Antivirus".
    You will now be on another page that displays instructions on how to instal applications through GetJar.
    Pulldown the notification window and under Notifications tap on the download icon (it looks like a downward facing arrow pointing at a line) with the word "DownloadHelper.apk," then when asked if you want to "install this application" select install.
    The tablet will show that it's beginning to download the file and you'll see the progress, of the download, in the notification bar. Then select Open.
    Once the Getjar application is on the device the Lookout application will install shortly after, this might take a moment.
    A window that says "Package Installer" pops up. From here you can read the permissions that Lookout requires. Go ahead and tap "Install".
    Your installation will start. Tap "Open" once the installation has finished to open Lookout.
    Finish setting up Lookout as you normally would!

Thank you for using Lookout.
    --------------------
    Yvette Kay,
    The Lookout Team

Tombom, Aug-09 01:27 pm (PDT):
    Hi,
    I was recommended to use Lookout for my Acer Iconia A500 tablet but once installed I realized that the app requires a phone number to locate or wipe a unit. The A500 has wifi but not 3G so that is not an option for me.
    Is there another app for wifi tablets?
    //Tom

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tombom View Post
    Plan B is supposed to work with both tablets and phones, still no result for me though so I can't confirm that.
    thanks for the info, I will give this a try. Again, I have it on my gingerbread tablet (it showed in market just fine) so I actually suspect it is a honeycomb thing or new market thing.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    One time lost my GSmart Akta A4. I was very sad - there was a 124 GB card, which was almost filled with my personal information. I didnít know what to do, but the paranoia of my girlfriend came to my rescue. She installed some phoney app on my phone that could track geolocation( Well, she read my sms too, as it turned out ). If you donít have an iPhone (I mean that their geolocation function is built in, everyone knows yes?) I advise you to install some kind of similar application so that there are no problems. Have a nice day !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links