• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

A500 charger doesn't connect - pulsing power switch light

Friends - my first time posting. I have an A-500, and am having problems with the charger connecting up. I am now on my third charger (factory, and two aftermarkets), I had thought the problem was in the chargers, but now I'm thinking it might be in the socket itself. whenever I connect the cord, the charger pulses a connection every two seconds, then breaks connection. I have seen the pulse in the power switch light, and also in the battery/lightning bolt indicator. I've tried moving the charger to different outlets, but problem continues. the plug fits tightly into the socket, and connects with a firm click when connecting. I'm about to try a reset, but don't have high hopes.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I'd try a reset or complete factory wipe and start over again from scratch ..if you can get it to power up some what.
    When in doubt this usually works. Back up if you need too before attempting a factory reset.
    Good luck

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    This is not likely a software issue, and it seems that the advice above about trying a "factory wipe" may have been intended to answer an unrelated question from another post. That will not resolve this problem. Attempting a factory reset while encountering power problems may actually corrupt storage memory and make things worse.

A continuous blinking white power button light on an a500 indicates a battery charge controller error. This can mean that the battery is bad, or can be caused by battery charger voltage regulation problems (under or over required voltage range). This condition causes the charge controller to disconnect from the external power supply until the controller input is electrically reset by unplugging the power cord. Plugging the power cord back in restarts the charge attempt cycle.

If the blinking white is at regular intervals, then the problem is not likely a poor connection. It may be the result of a poor quality power adapter. It can also be caused by a worn out battery, which becomes more likely when a tablet is over a year old and/or has had heavy use. Batteries can also simply go bad for numerous reasons.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    thanks for the input - a question for you; does anyone have a factory charger that can tell me the exact voltage I should be having? This charger reads 12V-2000mA.
    And to top things off- after a full day of charging, I now have a constant white, and a full charge on the battery. Maybe the problem fixed itself!!! someone please check the correct voltage and get back to me, so that I can make sure that my aftermarket is correct!!
    By the way - all the replies stated white light; I was viewing an amber, "charging" light. would that make a difference? The light in the switch changes from white, in use, to amber, when unit is charging.
    Last edited by medic132; 07-10-2013 at 06:24 PM.

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    The stock Acer charger is rated at 12v, 1.5a, so the 12v, 2a rating should be sufficient. You mentionef

The steady amber light is normal during charging. Blinking amber means a very low (dead) battery. If that is what you were seeing, the tablet battery may have just been severely depleted and required time to recover. If the pulsing you referred to was not the blinking white, but instead was a blinking amber, then the power supply was probably OK.

Here are the Iconia power light signal descriptions:

Steady Orange: Normal Battery Charging

Steady White while plugged into external power: Battery Fully Charged

Steady White while not plugged into external power, and dark screen: Device in APX mode

Continuous Blinking Orange: Dead Battery ...possibly unrecoverable if LED signal never advances to steady orange state

Occasional Momentary White while in sleep mode: Device is waking temporarily to do some background task. This is typically a sync operation using the network.

Continuous Blinking White: Battery charge controller error. Possible battery charger voltage regulation problem (under or over required voltage range). This apparently causes the charge controller to disconnect from the external power supply until the charging cycle is restarted by removing the power source entirely and then reconnecting.
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 07-10-2013 at 09:04 PM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi,
    I have kind of the same problem. I've also bought a new charger (a stock acer charger) and the problem remains the same. When I put the charger in the tablet, the orange light pops on. It stays on for a while and then goes over to a pink blinking light. It stays that way until I pull the plug and put it back in.
    I have tried a few things and have come up with a 'solution'. When I put the tablet on his side, with the plug from the charger at the bottom and let the tablet rest as straight up as possible, it keeps charging most of the time. However, as soon as someone or something touches the tablet, it starts to blink pink again.
    So it's probably something with the plug. I could bring it back to the shop I bought it from, but they said they'll charge me €50 just for checking what the problem is and I have to pay upfront. They also said that everything on it, will probably be erased. When I use my brain, I know that you don't need to reset a tablet to change a plug... So, I'm really reluctant to use their 'repair' service.

So the question is: where can I find a 'how-to' to open up the tablet and change the plug and where would I be able to buy the necessary pieces?

Thanks in advance!
    Simon

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    The blinking amber or orange power led is a sign battery problem, as noted in the post directly above yours.

If you want to look inside, this may help: Acer Iconia Tab teardown: Easy-to-service, 3G-ready - TechRepublic

Remove the external SD card first, to avoid damage.

There are also some videos showing a teardown on YouTube.
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 08-29-2013 at 03:44 PM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I think this light power is chagring that for main issue it's might bot the power cored of the battery.
    1.To remove battery and disconnect mains adapater.
    2.To press and hold down power on button of your battery within 30secs at least.
    3.To put the power battery back.
    4.To plug in mains adapter then power on as normal.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    try a reset or complete factory wipe

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Just use another charger and if the problem is still occurred then bring it to the repair center.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links