• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By pentool

Thread: Skype Fiasco

Iconia Informant
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Skype Fiasco

So, I'm in the app market and I filter my search for "My A500" and Skype is shown as a compatible app. So I install it, let it spend 30 minutes scanning through my contacts, set up a Skype account online, pay for $10.00 credit in my account. Ready to go right?

Each time I enter a number or choose a contact and press "Call" the tablet restarts. I try this about 8 times and then start the following dialog with the Skype customer service folks:

Every time I push the call button, Skype caused my tablet to restart. I can't place any calls. I've been through the whole process of establishing an account and putting money in it and now I can use it.

Please help me understand what I need to do....

Thank you for contacting Skype Customer Service.

We understand your concern that you are having a problem on Skype with your Acer Iconia Tablet.

Please be informed that currently, we did not support tablet device. You can download the Skype application from your device however, we cannot guarantee that this will work well because your device is not yet Skype certified.

Skype Certified means that Skype technicians have tested a particular piece of hardware and verified that it will work properly with Skype. Our technicians work closely with each of our manufacturer partners throughout the certification process. This ensures the hardware being developed provides our users with the best possible experience

We will pass on your request to our development team for consideration and potential inclusion in a future release.

Should you need more assistance, feel free to contact us again.

Best regards,

Celeste E.
    Skype Customer Service

Celeste,

Why doesn't the app clearly state on the Market site that it is not Iconia and Honeycomb compliant. When I filtered at the market web site by the Acer Iconia A500 device, this version of Skype showed up. You are wasting a lot of people's time with your unprofessional behavior. This is false advertising.

Also,

Give me my money back....l!

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

We understand that you wish to use Skype application on your Acer Iconia Tablet. We will do our very best to help you with this.

We apologize for the confusion.

As we explained on our previous email, your device is not yet certified by Skype. You can try to download and install the Skype application on your device but we cannot guarantee that it will work.

However, we are doing our very best to make it possible that Skype will work on all devices.

We appreciate your feedback and we will definitely look into it.

However, we are constantly working on improvements to Skype, so I have forwarded your suggestion on to our development team. Thanks very much for your input.

Please be patient while we work to make Skype even better.

We hope you found this answer helpful. Should you need any further assistance or have additional questions please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards,

Lorie Teena F.
    Skype Customer Service

As you can clearly see from the attached screen capture of the Android Market, you are marketing Skype as being compatible with the ACER A 500. Please look closely at the top of the screen where "Screen Compatibilty" is displayed. It shows that it is compatible with My Acer A 500.

So, now two of your employees have lied to me. Please change your listing in the Android Market so that no one else will experience the inconvenience I have had to endure (not to mention the lies).

I will be complaining on the internet everywhere I possible can. You have stolen $10.00 from me as a result of this fraudulent listing and I WANT MY MONEY BACK!

Hello Ed,

We understand that you have a problem making call with Skype on your device.

Please try to uninstall and install a fresh copy of Skype application. Download Skype for Android Market or Getjar (Download Skype for Mobile)

If the issue would still persists, feel free to contact us again.

Best regards,

Jestoni M.
    Skype Customer Service

Why are you telling me to install something that earlier in this email string your technician told me was not compatible with my device? Please explain why you feel this is an acceptable solution. I already uninstalled your application. Now explain why you think the outcome will be different.

GIVE ME BACK MY MONEY..........

Hello,

We are sorry to hear that your issue regarding your Skype application still persist. We appreciate that you have given us a chance to correct this.

First, we would like to address that Skype works for different devices. It will just depend on the operating system of the device. Skype normally works on a computer with a Windows or Mac operating system. As per other mobile devices, Skype works with "iOS", Android and Symbian.

However, if you are using a tablet that is not Skype Certified, you may still use it but it has no guarantees that Skype will work in it.

If you are using Skype in a mobile device or tablet with an Android operating system, we suggest that you visit the link below to know more about it:

Skype for Android Phones

From your previous email, we can comprehend that you are also asking for a refund. We can see in your account that you only have a remaining of $9.77 Skype Credits in your account. If you would like to proceed with the refund, kindly inform us so we can proceed with it. We just want to make sure that we do not create the mistake of a service that you would rather keep in your account.

We look forward to your response, so we can assist you further.

Best regards,

Trisha M.
    Skype Customer Service

Please refer my case to someone who can comprehend English. I've have provided you evidence in my attachment that you are misrepresenting Skype in the Android Market. You wasted $.30 of my money sending me text messages for an application that does not work. Therefore, you don't owe me $9.70. You owe me $10.00.

Please refer my case to a manager.

At this point, they will probably revert to the tried and true customer service philosophy of simply ignoring me.

Has anyone been able to run Skype on their A500?

2. # ADS
    Ads

Agent Iconia
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    I got my A500 about a month ago and tried Skype then. It was not optimized for a tablet and it didn't have video capabilities either. Also, unfortunately when you run the market app on your tablet, it does not show the date an app was updated. I really hate this. I have to keep switching between the market app and the browser just to see when an app was last updated (since you can see this date in the browser). In case of Skype, it shows that it was last updated on April 20th. Usually (...which means it's not always the case), but I found the most apps that have April or earlier update dates are not Honeycomb optimized, so I'd be careful paying for these apps whichever way.

As a newcomer to the world of Android, I also find it confusing and sometimes irritating that a developer does not clearly states whether the app is optimized for tablets or not. Some cases they do list this fact, but sometimes they don't. I guess Android tablets are still relatively new to the scene so it might take some time for the market to mature in this respect.

And yeah, I do hate customer service responses of all kinds. The world has changed. Customer service has been replaced by templated, useless, corporate responses as opposed to real people with real knowledge (except for those few...)
    AZTLAN312 and elsuirad like this.

Ads