• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Cicso AnyConnect for Rooted Devices

Hi Guys

Has anyone got this App working on their A500?

I'm getting all confused about how to install a tun.ko. Basically I don't know how! Is anyone able to point me in the right direction? I've already rooted my A500 i've at least managed that!

I've been on xda forums and have been getting even more confused.

Regards

Bradders

2. # ADS
    Ads

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Got it working!

I downloaded the tun.ko from the following link.

[DEV] A500 Kernel Modules - xda-developers

Then simply copied it to /system/lib/modules/ with Root explorer and it worked!

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times

How to make Cisco AnyConnect work

Alright, I figured this out.
    First root your A100 and install Cisco AnyConnect VPN from the Android Market (the version for rooted devices).
    If you try to run it, it will complain that it's missing a TUN/TAP driver. The following steps will fix this.
    Next, take the attached "tun.zip" file, unzip it to get the "tun.ko" file.
    Copy this file to your A100 directory: /system/lib/modules
    Using a Terminal app, enter the following commands at your A100:
    first, become root: "su"
    next, load the driver: "insmod /system/lib/modules/tun.ko"
    Now run Cisco AnyConnect and it will work.
    ---
    P.S. you'll have to do this every time you hard boot the device. I'm looking for a way to make it do this automatically every time it boots. I'm sure this can be done with a simple shell script, just need to find out what to name it & where to put it.
    ---
    P.P.S. my VPN has been working after cold starts without having to repeat the "insmod" command. No need to run that command on startup, looks like once is enough. I did copy the "tun.ko" file to /data/local/kernel_modules like Cisco AnyConnect suggested, perhaps that's why.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MRC01; 09-21-2011 at 03:54 PM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MRC01 View Post
    I did copy the "tun.ko" file to /data/local/kernel_modules like Cisco AnyConnect suggested, perhaps that's why.
    My University uses Cisco AnyConnect. I got the same problem as you. I rooted my Acer Iconia A100, installed Cisco AnyConnect for Rooted Device from Android Market. No luck. No tun file at all.

I read through your long lists of posts for and decided to try this out. Turns out the majority of your steps are not required.

How to get Cisco AnyConnect to work on your Android (tested on my freshly wiped Iconia A100):
    1. Root your device
    2. Download AnyConnect from Android Market
    3. Try to connect to VPN once. It'll say you are missing the tun file
    4. Get the tun file from the OP's post. Unzip to get tun.ko. Use whatever method you want, and copy this file to /data/local/kernel_modules. Note that this kernel_modules folder does not exist. You have to create a new folder
    5. Try connect again

In short, you don't need to copy the tun.ko to any other folders. You also do not need to run any fancy commands. Full credits goes to OP for his research. Thanks to you, I can now access my work stuff from home on my tablet.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Which tun.ko on A100?

I managed to get this working with the tun.ko from MRC01's post, but I was wondering which tun.ko this was from the OP's link. I don't know how I would find out what my specific kernel was. I'm sure it's as simple as cat'ing something in /proc, but I'm a bit of a noob. Anyway, thanks for the info and file, OP and MRC01.

Ads