• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

+ Reply to Thread
    Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Google Play won't run! com.android.vending stopped working.

Hi,
    I am new to this forum and hopefully you can help as I am really stuck now.

I have a Iconia A501 as follows:

Android: 3.2
    Kernel: 2.6.36.4-thor-V3.9r3
    Build: Harkon 1.0 (A501_4.037.01_EMEA_TMPL)
    Google Play 3.4.6

Everything was dandy until Google Market was automatically updated to Google Play yesterday. Hmm, interesting new icon, let's try the new product... click on the icon... "Android Market is upgrading to Google Play message" ... click continue...

After less than a second with a single blue spinning cursor the app crashes saying:

Sorry! The application Google Play Store (process com.android.vending) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

Sigh. Have tried the following:
    Restarting multiple times.
    Cleared Cache and data (on both Google Play and Market)
    Turned off Avast firewall.

(please note that all of the following includes reboots between each uninstall/installation)

Still no change. Market was showing version 1.1.0 so I uninstalled updates to it - now it is 1.0.28!

Still nothing, so uninstalled Google Play, downloaded the apk for it and installed this manually.

Still no change so uninstalled Google Play again, downloaded Market 3.4.4 apk and installed this manually - no good the market won't run either.

Uninstalled Market 3.4.4 and reinstalled Google Play, and decided to seek help here.

Of course googling this hasn't help apart from telling me to clear the cache and data.... Sigh.

Would rather not have to reflash and reinstall everything, but will do so if I have too.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Superhero saving day solutions? Anyone? Please help!

2. # ADS
    Ads

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    Choose a thread and put one post only in that thread. Multiple cross-posts are against forum rules and will not be permitted.

"Guidelines of Conduct" for AcerTabletForum.com

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I had exacly the same trouble with Google Play and I have managed to revert it back to original working version of Android Market. In Options (Android system settings) go for Applications. Choose Google Play. Clean cached data. Remove this application. After these steps Google Play dissappeared from my droid and I could put back Android Market icon onto my desktop and I can use it for installing new programs.

Hadware: Samsung Galaxy 10.1
    O.S.: Honeycomb Android

Iconia Operative
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Hello. Phil

Not sure if this is any help? Have you tried this.

Go to Settings >> Applications >> Market >> Uninstall updates. See if maybe this helps.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks very much for your help Aeiou and Mikahail. I tried both of these solutions and still no joy. Kept trying to remove the play app but could not go back to a successful market app installation. I downloaded different versions of the market apks, tried everything. Unfortunately Titanium Backup had backed up the corrupted apk so I couldn't use that. Finally I managed to find an old backup of market 3.4.2 (I think) from my smartphone - thank goodness I had copied my titanium backup folder onto my PC last year some time and left it there...

So finally with this older version of market installed, I was able to connect to the internet and market autoupdated to play and the same thing happened (this was about the 15th time I had uninstalled market and play, and all updates etc, and then installed once more).

Sigh. About to give up and reinstall the whole system when... I decided to give the titanium backup version a second try. I did the same thing I had done before... uninstalled everything... restored the backed up version... and it actually connected and downloaded Play successfully! Woohoo! Wow. Don't see why it worked this time when it didn't the previous time.... I definitely didn't do anything different.

Still, I now have a working Google Play app and I am very relieved. All I can suggest for everyone else is, keep regular copies of your backups in case you need to go back further than a single version.

Thanks once again for your help
    Phil

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I found my answer and I hope it also helps you. Mine works great now with the updates. Once I fixed the date and time, all of these problems vanished. I updated my date and time to set automatically and google play and everything else works great now. I feel like I have a new tablet. My date said 2009 and I had no idea. When you update the date then other updates will follow and it all workes great!!

Read more at Invalid or Expired Security Certificate? - Online Tech Support Help from Ask Dave Taylor!

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I know your post was a long time ago Phil. But I still hope it helps.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Same problem

Hi I have the same problem please help

Ads