• Login:

Welcome to the Acer Tablet forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mrhelper

Thread: I am low on space, have tried/uninstalled several apps.... maybe they leave stuff?

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Exclamation I am low on space, have tried/uninstalled several apps.... maybe they leave stuff?

I have deleted downloaded stuff and almost every app I have tried.. games, doodads, etc. I have uninstalled updates back to factory settings on several apps. Only have 2 games but can't update anything. My storage is low!?!?!

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    The GPS driver in ICS causes files to accumulate under /data/gps. This has been the most common cause of low internal storage space on the Iconia tablets running ICS.

If the GPS has been running on your tablet, then the GPS file leak described here is the most likely cause of the space issue.

You can prevent the problem by turning off the GPS.

You can temporarily clear the files to reclaim free space by performing the Factory data reset under Settings > Backup & reset.

This post describes an alternative way to clean out the files if your device is rooted: Data/gps folder contains too many files to batch delete?.
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 08-01-2012 at 11:25 PM.

Iconia Lurker
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The factory data reset will erase my data. Will the backup save pics? Also, is Maps the app that uses GPS? I don't have an app that says that it is GPS, but occasionally I do see it is running, just not sure why. Will wait for your reply before I tap Erase Everything. I have had my tab for 6 months, not a refurb, and I use color note, calendar, and screenshots to record data.
    Thank you so very much for helping me, I really love my tablet and knew there would come a time when I would need help with it. I remember hoping I would find the help when that time came. ERASE EVERYTHING just looks so ominous, wish it said EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE, DEBBIE.
    Thanks for your help

Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    You will need to take specific actions to save photos or other files. The basic backup service provided by Google will backup settings for some apps, your wifi settings, and email client settings. It does not automatically save files.

If you use a service like Picassa, I recall seeing that there is a "sync " option for photos, but you'd probably have to subscribe to that and determine if that is suitable for your purpose. There are other "cloud" backup options also, but again, you would have to set these up.

The quickest and easiest way to backup files is by plugging in a micro SD card, or a compatible USB flash memory stick. (Note that Sandisk Cruzer sticks are not compatible with Android tablets because they contain multiple partitions.) Then you can use a file manager like ES File Explorer (roughly similar to Windows Explorer) to copy files from the camera folder (/sdcard/DCIM/Camera).

The external SD card folder is: /mnt/external_sd

The USB storage folder is: /mnt/usb_storage

What I typically do is copy the whole /sdcard/DCIM folder, and any other folders/files that I wish to preserve such as /sdcard/Download to the portable storage. I believe in keeping redundant backups, so I copy files to both the micro SD card, and a USB stick.

If you want to try it, you can also connect the USB cable that came with your tablet between the PC and the tablet (the small end goes in the tablet). Depending on which version of Windows you are running, the PC may show the internal storage of the tablet in Windows Explorer, and you can just copy the DCIM folder to your PC that way. The interface became less reliable with ICS though for at least some versions of Windows, so this may or may not work properly.

On the GPS usage question: Maps will use the GPS, and the tablet uses it for location services, so for example, if you drove out of town and stopped at a Barnes and Noble to use wifi, you could google for gas stations, and the query will automatically show stations near where you are at the time. There are network based location services supported by the OS which can be almost as useful, so you can turn GPS off and leave network location on if you like instead. You do have to deliberately turn GPS off, or it will run continuously. You can turn GPS (satellite location) off under Settings > Location services.

If you backup to micro SD, or to a USB stick, you can plug that into your PC to verify that the files are there on the media. That will greatly improve the odds that everything will be fine, Debbie. When you run the Factory data reset, it's a little like getting a brand new tablet again, so that's one way to look at it. I have an a500 which is very similar to the a200, and performed at least a dozen Factory data resets for some testing that I was doing a while back. The tablet booted clean and factory fresh every time.
    Last edited by Mrhelper; 08-02-2012 at 01:29 PM. Reason: typo
    bilderberg and beepa like this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links